HB 1344: Dumb Regulations Repeal Act 13. Triskaidekaphobia (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:41:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 1344: Dumb Regulations Repeal Act 13. Triskaidekaphobia (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HB 1344: Dumb Regulations Repeal Act 13. Triskaidekaphobia (Passed)  (Read 2909 times)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
« edited: November 23, 2018, 09:01:32 PM by Esteemed Speaker Jimmy7812 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People's House of Representatives
Passed in the House of Representatives 9-0-0-0

[/quote]
[/quote]

Sponsor: LouisvilleThunder
House Designation: HB 1344
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 01:30:07 PM »

HB 1344 is now on the House floor. Debate on this legislation has begun and shall last for no less than 72 hours.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:09:38 PM »

I speak up in support of this bill repealing these anti-freedom and anti-Atlasian measures! Vote AYE on this for the good of Atlasia!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »

We already repealed 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, and 13, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm.

Isn't CrimeADay great ...
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 05:06:50 AM »

I present an amendment.

Pending
[/quote]

[/quote]
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »

I present an amendment.

Pending
[/quote]

[/quote]
We do not want folks impersonating our postal workers.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]
[/quote]

Federal dress codes could violate the 1st amendment. Why exempt actors but not people at Halloween parties in costume? Thats underinclusive which raises concerns about narrow tailoring and also casts doubt that this is a compelling state interest. A similar federal law as applies to military uniforms was struck down by the superme court in the 70s.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]

Federal dress codes could violate the 1st amendment. Why exempt actors but not people at Halloween parties in costume? Thats underinclusive which raises concerns about narrow tailoring and also casts doubt that this is a compelling state interest. A similar federal law as applies to military uniforms was struck down by the superme court in the 70s.
[/quote]
And it shouldn't have been.

If you see someone in a postal uniform around your mailbox, how are you supposed to know that person is an employee of the Postal Service, or someone tampering with your mail?

You can tell who's an actor, because they're on a stage or on your television.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 12:06:50 AM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]

If you see someone in a postal uniform around your mailbox, how are you supposed to know that person is an employee of the Postal Service, or someone tampering with your mail?

[/quote]

Interfering with the mail and impersonating a fed are already illegal. Criminalizing Halloween costumes as well is retarded. Free speech is free speech.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »

I object to Maineiac's amendment.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]

Interfering with the mail and impersonating a fed are already illegal. Criminalizing Halloween costumes as well is retarded. Free speech is free speech.
[/quote]
How, praytell, are you supposed to know if your mail’s been interfered with? Especially if you saw someone in a uniform at your mailbox?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »

I would also propose striking XIV. That is not a "dumb" regulation.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »

With no objections within 24 hours, LouisvilleThunder's amendment has been adopted. The bill currently stands as:

Pending
[/quote]
[/quote]
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »

I pull my prior amendment and present an amendment as follows:

With no objections within 24 hours, LouisvilleThunder's amendment has been adopted. The bill currently stands as:

Pending
[/quote]
[/quote]
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »

Is MAINEiac4434's amendment friendly to the sponsor?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]
How, praytell, are you supposed to know if your mail’s been interfered with? Especially if you saw someone in a uniform at your mailbox?
[/quote]

Presumably you should be able to tell from whatever was interfered with. If you didnt happen to be home to see someone in a costume near your mailbox how are you supposed to know if your mails been interfered with.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]

Presumably you should be able to tell from whatever was interfered with. If you didnt happen to be home to see someone in a costume near your mailbox how are you supposed to know if your mails been interfered with.
[/quote]
Well, if you are home and you happen to see one person come around and take something out of your mailbox, and someone else come around and put something in it, you'd think something would be up, wouldn't you?

Maybe a police officer notices someone dressing up as a mail carrier, and detains them under this provision, thus preventing the mail tampering from ever happening in the first place.

We really shouldn't be hamstringing our police, should we?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]
Well, if you are home and you happen to see one person come around and take something out of your mailbox, and someone else come around and put something in it, you'd think something would be up, wouldn't you?

Maybe a police officer notices someone dressing up as a mail carrier, and detains them under this provision, thus preventing the mail tampering from ever happening in the first place.

[/quote]

Mail tampering is a federal crime, why would a local police officer be tailing people just for wearing a blue shirt and pants? Sounds like over policing to me. Looks like the Federalists are also the criminal reform party now too.

Federal dress codes are dumb and restrict free speech. Again,  how does wearing a Halloween costume at a Halloween party promote mail tampering? You can pivot back to "well the perfect police would never, ever abuse their discretion and enforce the law literally, even though they have the power to", but that's not a comforting answer to tell a client who asks me if its legal.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »

Is MAINEiac4434's amendment friendly to the sponsor?
No...
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 05:47:08 PM »

I pull my prior amendment and present an amendment as follows:

MAINEiac4434 pulled his previous amendment and proposed a new one.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »

I object to his new one.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »

I present an amendment.

Pending

[/quote]

Mail tampering is a federal crime, why would a local police officer be tailing people just for wearing a blue shirt and pants? Sounds like over policing to me. Looks like the Federalists are also the criminal reform party now too.

Federal dress codes are dumb and restrict free speech. Again,  how does wearing a Halloween costume at a Halloween party promote mail tampering? You can pivot back to "well the perfect police would never, ever abuse their discretion and enforce the law literally, even though they have the power to", but that's not a comforting answer to tell a client who asks me if its legal.
[/quote]
You're the only one talking about Halloween parties, but mail carrier uniforms sold by Halloween stores and online as costumes do not look like actual mail carrier uniforms, and anyone could easily tell the difference, similar to police officer costumes and because of that it's easy to tell the difference between someone wearing one as a costume and someone who's actually a sworn mail carrier, and an employee of the Postal Service.

Repealing this law would make it impossible to tell the difference. All this does is make mail tampering and fraud more brazen and harder to stop than it was previously.

No one at a "Halloween party" or whatever has ever been prosecuted under this law in my research. This law is solely designed to present impersonation of a mail carrier in order to preserve the trust citizens have in the postal service.

I imagine if a bill came forward allowing someone to wear a police officer's uniform, you'd support that bill under similar provisions as you support repealing this law, yes? After all, free speech, dress codes, and all that jazz.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 11:34:03 PM »

I imagine if a bill came forward allowing someone to wear a police officer's uniform, you'd support that bill under similar provisions as you support repealing this law, yes? After all, free speech, dress codes, and all that jazz.

Yes. As a Senator I drafted a bill formally repealed the ban on wearing military uniforms for defamatory purposes as well as a repeal on several dress code type laws in National Parks, including restrictions on female toplessness, the wearing of snowshoes, the compelled display of certain licenses on persons, and the wearing of scuba diving equipment and snorkels. As a Regional delegate I drafted bills repealing dress codes based on sex and the wearing of masks in public. I have been very consistent on my hatred of government imposed dress codes and would hope ALL legislators would similarly oppose the idiocy of government dress codes.

I dont care if strippers or halloween celebrants or sex roleplayers or whoever dress as bureaucrats. That's their business. Again, that law enforcement has yet to target such groups does not mean that future targeting is illegal. If you aren't going to enforce it, remove it from the list of crimes. Otherwise you are chilling lawful speech/expression.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »

Please vote aye or nay on whether to adopt the amendment below. This vote will last 72 hours or until a majority has voted in favor or against the amendment.

Pending
[/quote]
[/quote]
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »