Obamacare vs Single-Payer Health Care (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:38:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obamacare vs Single-Payer Health Care (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the best for Americans ?
Obamacare

Single-Payer Health Care

Both

Other option

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Obamacare vs Single-Payer Health Care  (Read 1987 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: April 06, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »

Neither are steps in the right direction. The U.S. government already spends one of the highest per capita figures on healthcare in the world. There is no point in going even higher. Ted Cruz's and Rand Paul's ideas are definitely steps in the right direction in fixing the monstrosity that is American healthcare, as they reduce government mandates and spending and make those using healthcare more responsible for paying for it. Isn't this obvious?

Yeah, that's just it. Single-payer would save money.

Most of the evidence I've seen suggests single-payer when actually enacted helps reduce cost expansion but doesn't do much to lower the baseline cost.

Yep:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2014-04-30/single-payer-would-make-health-care-worse

Our spending used to be more in line with other countries, and I don't see why we can't get ours closer to theirs. It's even worse when you consider that we have a younger population than most of the other countries in this chart.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »

Neither are steps in the right direction. The U.S. government already spends one of the highest per capita figures on healthcare in the world. There is no point in going even higher. Ted Cruz's and Rand Paul's ideas are definitely steps in the right direction in fixing the monstrosity that is American healthcare, as they reduce government mandates and spending and make those using healthcare more responsible for paying for it. Isn't this obvious?

Yeah, that's just it. Single-payer would save money.

Most of the evidence I've seen suggests single-payer when actually enacted helps reduce cost expansion but doesn't do much to lower the baseline cost.

Yep:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2014-04-30/single-payer-would-make-health-care-worse

Our spending used to be more in line with other countries, and I don't see why we can't get ours closer to theirs.

That's discussed in the link above.  First, at least a little of the high health care spending is baked into the infrastructure.  E.g., we can't un-build all our hospitals and build them over again so that they can accommodate more people per room.  And second, the high spending has constituencies who are not going to quietly accept taking pay cuts:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So I'm not so sure how reducing costs to be in line with other Western democracies is politically realistic.  If we implement single payer, I am not counting on health spending suddenly falling in line with those other countries.

Obviously we're not going to get near the middle of the pack, but maybe just a little more than Switzerland might be possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies