Dropping the 'T' in LGBT (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:42:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Dropping the 'T' in LGBT (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dropping the 'T' in LGBT  (Read 3624 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: November 07, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »
« edited: November 07, 2015, 01:45:04 PM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

Well, this is for L, G, B, and T individuals to decide on. I have always considered rather strange the combination of LGB on the one hand and T on the other hand, since there is a difference between one's sexual orientation and one's gender identity.

Largely historic reasons - people of different sexualities and gender identities have historically been classified together and most T have people have self-classified on the LGB group at some stage in their life.

Of course this petition is a laughable case of throwing a more vulnerable members of a group under the bus for Realpolitik's sake. Pretty grim stuff, but I suppose it's one of humanity's more unsavoury aspects.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:22:39 PM »

Well, this is for L, G, B, and T individuals to decide on. I have always considered rather strange the combination of LGB on the one hand and T on the other hand, since there is a difference between one's sexual orientation and one's gender identity.

Which is one of the issues. There is a bubbling undercurrent of misogyny within many trans activist groups who are fixated on adopting a singular gender identity and associated outward characteristics which is counter to many arguments made in feminist and queer theory. It is rarely addressed. For many long standing activists, it's very strange to find yourself or your fight for equality being 'marginalised' because you are a gay male (which is considered a 'privileged' position (!) by some within LGBT circles), or being accused of being 'transphobic' if your sexual attraction doesn't extend to trans individuals. Some of the rhetoric is becoming self destructive.

I'm not as involved in such things as much as I used to be, but those I know who are still very much involved seem to be treading on eggshells despite being some of the most supportive people when it comes to trans issues.

I think a lot of people seem to take the term "privilege" as abuse or something. It's not, just a statement of fact - that some people through the reality of their personal situation have a struggle that others do not. I'm not going to say that the bAttle for LGB acceptance has won or anything, but they are in a much more privileged position in contemporary Western society than transgender people.

Also, this petitition utilising classic soccon dog whistles does not bode well for the "negative T" movement.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »

Which is one of the issues. There is a bubbling undercurrent of misogyny within many trans activist groups who are fixated on adopting a singular gender identity and associated outward characteristics which is counter to many arguments made in feminist and queer theory. It is rarely addressed. For many long standing activists, it's very strange to find yourself or your fight for equality being 'marginalised' because you are a gay male (which is considered a 'privileged' position (!) by some within LGBT circles), or being accused of being 'transphobic' if your sexual attraction doesn't extend to trans individuals. Some of the rhetoric is becoming self destructive.

I'm not as involved in such things as much as I used to be, but those I know who are still very much involved seem to be treading on eggshells despite being some of the most supportive people when it comes to trans issues.

I think a lot of people seem to take the term "privilege" as abuse or something. It's not, just a statement of fact - that some people through the reality of their personal situation have a struggle that others do not. I'm not going to say that the bAttle for LGB acceptance has won or anything, but they are in a much more privileged position in contemporary Western society than transgender people.

Also, this petitition utilising classic soccon dog whistles does not bode well for the "negative T" movement.

Check your privilege.

k
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »

Check your privilege.

k

Yes that's the reaction any normal human have when being asked to "check your privilege", which is in fact why it's incredible stupid to use and not just a "statement of fact". It's not constructive and it's in fact quite insulting, because we really don't know other people's life and don't know their history, but we think they're priviliged based on some superficial visual traits and sometimes not even that.

I have literally never asked anyone to check their privilege, so quit tilting at windmills.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies