Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:16:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015  (Read 19848 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:19 PM »

Why are people discussing CCSF as if he were a real person?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 12:07:45 PM by Gravis Marketing »

I am unaware of any theology that is against interracial marriage, so I would consider such a claim to be ersatz. As to the other two examples, I would have the same attitudes.

1. "If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so." -- Brigham Young

2. How did Bob Jones University defend its ban on interracial dating?

Neither of these are currently in force, which goes to show much "deeply felt religious objections" tend to track with the culture as a whole rather than absolute theology.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2015, 12:40:52 PM by True Federalist »

Guys, I'm confident that if we ever reach a situation where millions of Americans are living in polygamous relationships and raising children outside the protection of the law—and not just in a few insular compounds in remote parts of the country—the courts will have to consider if marriage laws need to adapt.

The fact is, we don't have that. While it may not seem this way to people who have limited exposure to gays and gay families, the Supreme Court does not expand marriage laws "on spec" in the absence of a cultural shift and a large number of people affected just because people perceive a slippery slope. Same-sex marriage has been ratcheted forward by a few court cases, but gays won those court cases because we had been living openly and proudly and raising children for many years outside the protection of the law, even well before 2003.

This argument is similar to saying that if the government can raise the minimum wage to $9/hour, it can raise it to $1,000/hour, and of course that would break our economy, so it shouldn't be able to raise it to $9/hour. That argument has serious problems.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies