Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:34:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, imprisoned by Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009, is freed  (Read 18759 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:13:59 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is actually true.

Yep.^^

Apparently those who served with him aren't too happy he's freed and are calling him a deserter.  Six soldiers lost their lives searching for him.

The story is far from over......

http://www.ibtimes.com/bowe-bergdahl-no-hero-fellow-soldiers-1592946
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:31:34 AM »

Why are people making such a negative fuss about this? We have a pow home and just commuted 5 people sentences from indefinite detention to death by drone strike.

Did you read the article in my preceeding posts where member of his own unit have commented on this?  The truth will come out, but there are plenty, it seems, who want to label  him a traitor rather than a POW.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »

I don't know what Bergdahl did or didn't do before he was captured... but could you even *IMAGINE* the response if Bush had secured his release and Democratic senators, editorialists, and former VP candidates attacked the soldier and the President? 

The outcry from the guys in his own unit is what's interesting here.  The rest is noise, indeed.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:19:06 PM »

Now the right-wing media is calling him a deserter.

Because those who served with him are calling him that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »

I hate war, and I hate what war brings. But you don't go around calling a POW a deserter. Ever.

Unless he is one.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »

I hate war, and I hate what war brings. But you don't go around calling a POW a deserter. Ever.

Unless he is one.

If he was one, why did they promote his rank?

I don't know. I'm not making the claim. His OWN UNIT MEMBERS are. Ask them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »

That doesn't mean politicus' statement is still not true, although your point is well taken.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »

What's up with Bergdahl's Taliban supporting daddy?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

It's terrible that men lost their lives looking for him, but that's part of a soldier's duties, they were under orders.

Besides that, it hasn't been conclusively proven that those 6 men lost their lives while looking for him. They probably died while doing something else.

http://news.msn.com/us/for-fallen-soldiers-families-bergdahl-release-stirs-resentment

I think their opinion is totally legitimate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

Now right-wing media guys are going after the parents, too?  Bergdahl's parents are Presbyterian, and the father probably learned Pashto so he could understand and communicate with the people who captured his son.

Yes, the fact he looks like a Taliban was necessary to understand Pashto?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 07:51:44 AM »

You have to understand that Grumps is an "individualist".

Which means that you, individually, will either conform to his sense of propriety and normative behavior, or he will - individually - try to ostracize you.

Hmmm.  Not at all, E.  I'm trying to look at this from all perspectives......and I understand Badger's point.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »

I think y'all are a bunch of goddamned experts all of the sudden on all manner of things, ranging from terrorism to hostage negotiation to the psychology of soldiers.  I wish I were as smart as all of you.

Another uninformed opinion for you, my friend:

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140602/NEWS/306020055/Gold-Star-mom-guy-worth-my-son-s-life-
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »

I am absolutely livid over the way the right-wing media is behaving over this story.

I was but I've gotten over it.  

"Team Obama more willing to negotiate with terrorists than congress" is my new favorite headline.

Damn right wing bastards:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/06/04/watch-bergdahls-fellow-soldiers-parents-of-those-killed-seaching-for-him-react-to-prisoner-swap-n1847494#!

Two top lawmakers on the Senate Intelligence Committee said Tuesday that the Obama administration broke the law by not informing Congress before the prisoner exchange that resulted in Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s release.

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss said the administration violated the law by failing to address serious concerns they had about the deal to swap Bergdahl for five Taliban detainees. Chambliss said he had not had a conversation with the White House about a possible exchange for at least 18 months.

"It comes to us with some surprise and dismay that the transfers went ahead with no consultation, totally not following law," Feinstein told reporters following a closed door meeting. "And in an issue with this kind of concern to a committee that bears the oversight responsibility, I think you can see that we're very dismayed about it ."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »

“I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners,” the tweet said, according to various screen grabs. The tweet was subsequently deleted. “God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen.”

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »

Former Sec Def and CIA Director Panetta isn't a big fan of the deal.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »

Even though it's on Fox's site, this story is from Time Magazine

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/05/taliban-encouraged-to-kidnap-swap-more-us-soldiers-for-gitmo-prisoners-report/
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »

The right is swiftboating a recently released POW? Can't say I'm surprised.

Chris Matthews takes issue with your hyperbole, memphis.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/04/matthews-slams-white-house-for-saying-soldiers-are-swift-boating-bergdahl/
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »

I really want to know if some of Bergdahl's critics here (Grumps and Riley) have ever served in the military? Because I have heard a lot of (potential) chickenhawking going on in this thread, and I say that as someone who really likes both posters.

Nice red herring, Sanchez.

Perhaps my family's long military background is prejudicing my posts here, but I doubt it matters, since a guy like Badger, whose family has a longer and more highly distinguished military background thinks I'm over the top.

Let me just sum it up here simply - 1) I believe the guys in his unit - real combat soldiers - who feel he deserted, and 2) I think the kid's dad is a Taliban sympathizer and has been since before his capture.

So I'm taking the word of active duty soldiers on the first and a hunch on the second......nothing that's not done here everyday, young friend.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 05:33:27 AM »

Bergdahl's parents are now receiving death threats.  Troubling but not surprising.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »

They think Bergdahl's daddy is a rag head sympathizer.  Why do these threats surprise anyone?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »

True, but I've never considered threatening anyone.

Oh, and Joe, I'm up for sending the Duck Dude to GITMO with Daddy Bergdahl.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »

Good.  Now we can find out what really happened.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 06:10:43 AM »

Do you think Taliban daddy were shaved his beard before he sees his kid?  The kids they think he's back in the prison if he doesn't.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »

Grumps is a sheep who takes his marching orders from a certain sensibility peculiar to lower-class whites. Cultural markers then are deeply important to him.

I will respond to you as soon as I receive my marching orders, Einzige.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »

More on Taliban Dad, with information from police reports.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies