Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:24:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable?  (Read 4992 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: July 02, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »

People do not have the freedom to completely choose their own identity, because identity will always be bound, ultimately, to whom you are born and where you are born. Some people may escape that more than others, but you can never entirely 'self select your identity', because it is so often determined by circumstances that are totally beyond your control.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 06:57:30 PM »

I'd also like to add that, if what BRTD says about 'Millennials' is true (which I don't believe in the slightest), then far from casting off the bonds of 'culture' and leaving everyone free to 'self select', they are simply forming a new culture that they will foist upon their kids.

I mean, to say that one can self select their identity is in and of itself an expression of a particular culture. One example we see of this today is when people claim that they can select a gender identity for themselves, or a label for their sexuality (leaving these particular debates to one side for the moment), something I'm sure BRTD would applaud; this is not an example of people becoming unmoored from culture as an abstract concept, it's an example of them becoming unmoored from a specific culture (or indeed cultures), as a result of the emergence of a new culture. Culture as a concept cannot be destroyed or annihilated, as it's ultimately what makes us human, it can simply be modified or replaced.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies