My personal views about college education
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:06:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  My personal views about college education
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion?
Too on the left

Too on the right

Fine

Too random/weird

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: My personal views about college education  (Read 273 times)
wnwnwn
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2024, 01:31:25 AM »

I think that college undergraduate programs by state colleges should be free of charge, at least for flagship colleges in the USA.

That said, I think that in those free of charge college there should be some limitations in the majors, minors and courses. These colleges should teaxh mostly 'employable majors' and avoid unnecessary courses. Obviously this wouldn't catch well with a part of academia, but I think it would be the better option in the mid term for students.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 08:14:51 AM »

How do you decide what majors are useful or not? It seems too arbitrary. Many people also don’t necessarily use their specific degrees, even if going to college itself was necessary. My dad was an English major, he now works in supply chain management.
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 11:36:06 AM »

this is fine if you define the useful majors as the arts, humanities and social sciences, getting rid of nonsense like stem
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 12:54:28 PM »

Too subjective
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 06:57:41 PM »

this is fine if you define the useful majors as the arts, humanities and social sciences, getting rid of nonsense like stem
well "useful majors" would be defined as "majors we don't have enough of" so yeah, nothing like what you want
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 01:55:37 AM »

How do you decide what majors are useful or not? It seems too arbitrary. Many people also don’t necessarily use their specific degrees, even if going to college itself was necessary. My dad was an English major, he now works in supply chain management.

You create a quota for the different majors based on the employment opportunity for the individual majors.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 05:36:32 PM »

You create a quota for the different majors based on the employment opportunity for the individual majors.

That sounds nonsensical and arbitrary. How would the quotas work?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 12:32:35 AM »

Surprised there is no arguments agaisnt free college yet.
Maybe it´s because most people want it but not for philosophy, (n/x) studies or art history majors.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 12:35:21 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2024, 01:09:36 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

College should not be a jobs training program for employers too lazy to do it - and the people who need free college are not the ones who are going to economically benefit from it. We should be subsidizing the people who have valuable interests that are important to study but who will not otherwise be compensated for it by the market.

The 'employable' majors should be paying full sticker price. They can afford it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 06:46:54 PM »

Surprised there is no arguments agaisnt free college yet.
Maybe it´s because most people want it but not for philosophy, (n/x) studies or art history majors.
"free college" is too vague of a term.  Almost everybody thinks poor smart kids should be able to go to a college for free and (I would hope) very few people think everyone should be able to go to college for free regardless of need or ability.  The argument is where we draw the line, and how crooked that line is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies