Declaration of Independence Banned at Calif School
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:25:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Declaration of Independence Banned at Calif School  (Read 9782 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2004, 09:15:44 PM »
« edited: November 24, 2004, 09:31:22 PM by The Vorlon »

Wed Nov 24, 2004 04:12 PM ET

By Dan Whitcomb
LOS ANGELES (Reuters)

A California teacher has been barred by his school from giving students documents from American history that refer to God -- including the Declaration of Independence.

Steven Williams, a fifth-grade teacher at Stevens Creek School in the San Francisco Bay area suburb of Cupertino, sued for discrimination on Monday, claiming he had been singled out for censorship by principal Patricia Vidmar because he is a Christian.

"It's a fact of American history that our founders were religious men, and to hide this fact from young fifth-graders in the name of political correctness is outrageous and shameful," said Williams' attorney, Terry Thompson.

"Williams wants to teach his students the true history of our country," he said. "There is nothing in the Establishment Clause (of the U.S. Constitution) that prohibits a teacher from showing students the Declaration of Independence."

Vidmar could not be reached for comment on the lawsuit, which was filed on Monday in U.S. District Court in San Jose and claims violations of Williams rights to free speech under the First Amendment.

Phyllis Vogel, assistant superintendent for Cupertino Unified School District, said the lawsuit had been forwarded to a staff attorney. She declined to comment further.

Williams asserts in the lawsuit that since May he has been required to submit all of his lesson plans and supplemental handouts to Vidmar for approval, and that the principal will not permit him to use any that contain references to God or Christianity.

Among the materials she has rejected, according to Williams, are excerpts from the Declaration of Independence, George Washington's journal, John Adams' diary, Samuel Adams' "The Rights of the Colonists" and William Penn's "The Frame of Government of Pennsylvania."

"He hands out a lot of material and perhaps 5 to 10 percent refers to God and Christianity because that's what the founders wrote," said Thompson, a lawyer for the Alliance Defense Fund, which advocates for religious freedom. "The principal seems to be systematically censoring material that refers to Christianity and it is pure discrimination."

In June, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the case of a California atheist who wanted the words "under God" struck from the Pledge of Allegiance as recited by school children. The appeals court in California had found that the phrase amounted to a violation of church and state separation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 09:23:17 PM »

Yet another good reason why the Republicans might reach 60 seats come 2006.

This school is beyond stupid.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 09:23:39 PM »

Liberalism is a mental disorder.  I'm not surprised by this new development in the People's City of San Francisco.
Shira

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 09:24:47 PM »

As to God, I am sick and tired of him.

Enough is enough.

In no other civilized country does this obsession play any role.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 09:25:13 PM »

This isn't liberalism. This is idiocy.

Republicans aren't going to gain 60 seats in 2006 because of Stevens Creek School in Cupertino, California.

The person responsible for this needs to be fired.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 09:27:35 PM »

Liberalism is a mental disorder.  I'm not surprised by this new development in the People's City of San Francisco.
I think thats Michael Savage's key phrase.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 09:30:03 PM »

This isn't liberalism. This is idiocy.

And if the Democrats would stand up and say clearly and to one and all that it is indeed idiocy they have a shot in 06 and 08.

If they sit on their hands, as I expect most of them will,  and say nothing, then the GOP is indeed one step closer to 60 seats in the Senate.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 09:37:51 PM »

Libs just don't get it.  This is about the most stupid thing I've ever heard a school administrator pull.

Look for Dems to remain silent on this - mainly because deep inside, the overwhelming number of them agree with it.  Most people know it.
danwxman

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 11:13:07 PM »

Libs just don't get it.  This is about the most stupid thing I've ever heard a school administrator pull.

Look for Dems to remain silent on this - mainly because deep inside, the overwhelming number of them agree with it.  Most people know it.

Absolutely incorrect -- but they won't bring attention to it because it could hurt them.

This is pretty much on par with the ridiculous actions taking by extreme conservative schools. It happens on both sides.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 11:26:44 PM »

Not allowed to let students view the Declaration of Independence?

You bet it will hurt them.  We are watching the left in this country commit public suicide right before our eyes.

I can't stop laughing.  And they call red America stupid.....

Bhahahahahahahahahahaha
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 11:27:33 PM »

Enough is enough.

Move.  Bye.  Pack your bags.  Canada is to the North.  France is to the East.  Take your pick.   Send us your forwarding address when you reach your new athiest home.
danwxman

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 11:30:20 PM »

Look at the last two posts -- and you guys think we are the elitists and look down upon you? Gimme a break. You guys on the far-right are even more elitist. There's just a few more of you then us.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 11:31:07 PM »

Enough is enough.

And because you and other liberals want to turn this into an atheist paradise, you're going to burn all books and documents that references God, starting with the Declaration of Independence.

Hmm.

60 in 2006.  Keep it up libz.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 11:31:50 PM »

When I first heard this on the way home this evening, I thought the guy was kidding.  When our own historical documents cannot be taught in class since someone disagrees with a word or two used, you know our society has fallen off the deep end.  Time for people to get off their high horse and/or get their heads out of their asses.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 11:33:04 PM »

Enough is enough.

Move.  Bye.  Pack your bags.  Canada is to the North.  France is to the East.  Take your pick.   Send us your forwarding address when you reach your new athiest home.
No, don't send them to Canada!  I don't want them here.  Send them to the Worker's Paradise of Cambodia or something.  Lots of atheists there.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 11:33:37 PM »

Look at the last two posts -- and you guys think we are the elitists and look down upon you? Gimme a break. You guys on the far-right are even more elitist. There's just a few more of you then us.

Not far right.  I'm actually quite middle of the road.  I'm just tired of the liberal side always complaining if there isn't something they disagree with.  If you can not handle the historical foundations of our great nation containing a reference to God, then you need to either move out, or check yourself before opening your mouths.

Not far-right.  Just blunt.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 11:34:30 PM »

So should we change history in order to fit our political view of the world? To ban the Declaration of Independence because it contains the words "God" and "Creator" has to be one of the most ubsured things I have ever heard. How can this principle be considered an educator? I will listen to most sensible arguments regarding separation of church and state, but this has to be one of the most fallacious examples of political correctness I have ever heard. This woman has to go. The whole history of the founding and beginning of our country begins with that document. This is insane!
danwxman

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 11:37:22 PM »

So should we change history in order to fit our political view of the world? To ban the Declaration of Independence because it contains the words "God" and "Creator" has to be one of the most ubsured things I have ever heard. How can this principle be considered an educator? I will listen to most sensible arguments regarding separation of church and state, but this has to be one of the most fallacious examples of political correctness I have ever heard. This woman has to go. The whole history of the founding and beginning of our country begins with that document. This is insane!

NO. No. No. No. No. No. It is wrong and I disagree with it.

My point was that you guys on the right are the true elitists and always have been.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 11:39:25 PM »

My point was that you guys on the right are the true elitists and always have been.

No, we do not feel inherently superior to the lefties.  We wait until the far left does something so mind numbingly idiotic as this to feel superior. 
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 11:54:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Don't label me as being on the right. I refuse to be so arbitrarily labeled in that way. Economically I may be a little to the right in which we can discuss in another thread, but socially I'm closer to the middle. I'm pro-choice only in the fact that I don't believe government has the right to tell people what to do with their own bodies. It is the only one we will ever have. Personally, I think abortion is a barbaric practice but government doesn't have the right over our bodies. Oh, and I'm not Christian. Therefore I cannot be apart of this "Evangelical movement" that is spreading across the nation. I'm a Jew.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 11:57:09 PM »

Even I think this is incredibly idiotic.

So which far lefties and Democrats here are in favor of this?
danwxman

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 12:02:44 AM »

Don't label me as being on the right. I refuse to be so arbitrarily labeled in that way. Economically I may be a little to the right in which we can discuss in another thread, but socially I'm closer to the middle. I'm pro-choice only in the fact that I don't believe government has the right to tell people what to do with their own bodies. It is the only one we will ever have. Personally, I think abortion is a barbaric practice but government doesn't have the right over our bodies. Oh, and I'm not Christian. Therefore I cannot be apart of this "Evangelical movement" that is spreading across the nation. I'm a Jew.

lol...another thing. Republicans, when questioned, can never admit that they are right-wing. Something you guys always accuse us of doing.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 12:04:01 AM »

I'm right-wing. Question me and we'll see if I change my opinion.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 12:04:22 AM »

lol...another thing. Republicans, when questioned, can never admit that they are right-wing. Something you guys always accuse us of doing.

You are assuming all Republicans are conservatives.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 12:15:19 AM »

I thought I just mentioned I was on the right economically. Socially, I'm more in the middle. How can I be right-wing when I'm pro-choice? If we were talking economics you could call me right wing all you want even though you're more to the left then I am to the right. I was objecting to being called a right-winger when it comes to social issues. I'm more in the middle when it comes to social issues which is what the fight over the Declaration of Indepedence is all about. There is a historic element, but that will eventually be pushed aside to get at the "God" and "Creator" text in the document.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies