Opinion of Universal Basic Income (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:41:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Universal Basic Income (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Policy

Horrible Policy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Opinion of Universal Basic Income  (Read 17252 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« on: September 06, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »

It may be necessary with the advancement of technology. But I do believe that technology destroyign jobs is grossly over stated. I have a lot to write about Universal Basic Incomes and Technology and Jobs.. but I will have to do it later today. Perhaps in a different thread.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »

It may be necessary with the advancement of technology.

Bullocks. Technology has nothing to do with it. The luddite argument is no truer today than 200 years back.

Oh sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have been busy, and unlike AAD, Atlas does not notify you of quotes.

I hardly believe that technology will destroy all jobs. My argument is more on the basis that it created a large difference between the lower and upper classes. New jobs will be created for sure, and some jobs, especially in customer service, should not be automated. That is even if they can be automated. Ever had to deal with automated voice system on the phone? Yea, it sucks.

A universal basic income may need to be explored if the gap between upper and lower classes widen, and if unemployment goes up a bit due to technology. But technology will never destroy jobs at the rate that many Luddite's believe.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »

I am yet to encounter a construction of UBI that does not either a) condemn some poor people to basically starve or b) bankrupts the budget in a way that is totally unsustainable to finance even with higher taxes. Most cases I've seen for it have seen confused to me.
They could, you know, get a job.

Looks as though we have a once-in-a-generation policy genius over here. Astounding insight!

"Get a job" is a term that is easy for conservatives to use and sounds logical. Yes, I agree most persons should get a job. However, during economic downtowns, they may not exist. Also, lets be honest, so people just are not suited to work or lack the education to work in a position that is a "fit" for them.

Let's say someone has aspergers or is socially awkward, but was not able to attend college for whatever reason. Most of the lower skill jobs require strong people skills, which people with aspergers do not have. I am applying this to any of the reasons that said person could not attend college (i.e. finances, poor grades, other disabilities, etc).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies