Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ  (Read 25394 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »

Question for the candidate:
What's your opinion on the recent Presidential nomination, and subsequent  withdrawal of nomination, of Taft4Prez for Secretary of Forum Elections?
And what can you tell us about how you would propose to come up with Presidential nominees for such positions as may arise during your prospective tenure?

Thanks.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:35:13 AM »

Question for the candidate:
What's your opinion on the recent Presidential nomination, and subsequent  withdrawal of nomination, of Taft4Prez for Secretary of Forum Elections?
And what can you tell us about how you would propose to come up with Presidential nominees for such positions as may arise during your prospective tenure?

Thanks.

I think it was probably a good thing for him to withdraw if he didn't feel he was definitely up to the task. As others said in the confirmation thread, it's probably the most important job in the game, terms of just keeping things running at all, so it matters that the person feel ready and qualified. I hope he remains interested in future jobs as time goes on and continues to gain experience.

As for what I would do if faced with openings, as I would be sure to at some point or another, I would ask interested individuals to PM me if they wanted the job. I wouldn't reject anyone that didn't PM me though. I'd seek out some of my personal choices for the positions and see if they're interested, and if so, I'd compare them to those that actually applied.

But that confirmation hearing is an interesting example of what more confirmation hearings should be like. You need to know if the nominees are up to the task, and the only way to do that is present them with questions and scenarios and ask how they would act in them. Taft4prez felt he couldn't perform up to the task, and withdrew himself. If people hadn't questioned him, it's possible he would've been confirmed, and we could've had a major crisis on our hands. That's exactly why we have those hearings in the first place and more of them should have those tough questions.

I also believe, of course, in the situation of absolutely no one willing or able to serve in the position and/or everyone in the SoFE and DoFA positions missing in action, the President has a last-resort authority to open a voting booth on their own, and given that emergency scenario, I would do so as best I could. I'd have to double check the constitution and election statute, though, since the last time that issue ever came up, we had a differently Constitution!

Thanks for that.
Just for the record though, it was the President, not Taft4Prez, who withdrew the nomination.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies