Nym90 Town Hall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:11:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nym90 Town Hall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nym90 Town Hall  (Read 2286 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« on: February 20, 2005, 01:08:12 PM »

If anyone has any questions, here's the thread.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 01:19:57 PM »

I think it's fairly pointless to speculate one way or another as to the outcome of any of the races.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 01:22:33 PM »

I don't think I underestimated anyone; I always said I felt it would be close.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 05:15:15 PM »

What will you do to continue the fight for freedom in China?

This was covered in the Teamspeak audio debate, but as I realize a lot of people don't want to download 250 Megabytes worth from Peter Bell, I'll reiterate my position.

I support reducing trade with China, as I don't think that we should prop up dictators and tyrants. China's human rights record is abysmal, to say the least, and we should not reward them by helping to build and grow their economy, especially since we are helping to give them the potential to eventually challenge us militarily in the process.

I support maintaining diplomatic relations, but making sure that we are clear that we will not tolerate any military threat on their part of other nations. We certainly don't want to be rash about anything, and open and effective communications with top Chinese leaders is the key, but I think that we should make it very clear that we do not support their current dictatorial government.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 05:16:50 PM »

If the AFIP were to start up again, would you join it?

Possibly. I was in it before, I may well join again. If it actually is recreated, then I'll give it more thought.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 05:22:01 PM »

What is your view of the AFDNC in the wake of the recent decision by its former chairman to step down after having admitted to knowing about voter fraud and lying about it?

I strongly condemn the actions of Akno21, and feel that he definitely did the right thing by stepping down and by dropping out of the Senate race.

I think that the party definitely needs new leadership and a change in mentality from the top-down; we need to place our focus on the power of our ideas, and promoting those ideas. I feel strongly that, at this point in time, we have the best ideas and the best platform of any party in the nation, and we certainly need a more effective voice in promoting these. I take responsibility for some of the misperception of my party that others have; the vast majority of party members are great people, but we have allowed ourself to be defined by our more extreme and corrupt elements. We've made it clear within the party internally that such actions will not at all be tolerated, but to the extent that others view us unfavorably, I place the blame on ourselves for that image, not others for holding it.

So I definitely support a shift in priorities and a change of personnel at the top; I think that we have many strong leaders, but we need to do a more effective job of reaching across party lines and changing the tone of Atlasia. We shouldn't compromise our core principles, but I think that the perception of what those principles are needs to be corrected.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 05:24:12 PM »

I think it's fairly pointless to speculate one way or another as to the outcome of any of the races.

Do you acknowledge that you would've likely lost if the disaster hadn't occured?

The numbers were what they were; I guess I don't see how it helps the future of our nation to ruminate further about how the remaining voters may have voted. I'm more focused on ensuring that everyone knows who I am and what I stand for, so that they can make a judgement based on the facts.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 05:25:01 PM »

I don't think I underestimated anyone; I always said I felt it would be close.

So you never laughed at a Naso candidacy, thinking you got off easy?

Not at all. I've always said that I thought it would be a competitive race, and that I respected my opponent.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 03:59:17 PM »

For those who are interested, the debate is here.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=16232.0

I addressed much of this at that time, so I'm repeating most of what I said, but I'll add some more, too.

In my time in the Senate, we've faced many challenges. Atlasia is a nation that is strong, vibrant and prosperous, but we also face problems. I have nothing but the utmost faith in the ability of the Atlasian people to overcome the challenges that they face.

My main focus has been, and will continue to be, in 5 main areas--

1. Reform of the way government works, to make it more accountable to the people

2. Improving education to close the opportunity gap in Atlasia.

3. Community development, specifically fighting poverty and helping bring back hope to our inner cities and economically stagnant rural areas.

4. Strengthening the environment and preserveing it for generations of Atlasians to enjoy in the future.

5. Improving and expanding our nation's transportation infrastructure.

I feel that these are issues not only of importance to Atlasia as a whole, but also to District 3. Our district borders 4 of the 5 Great Lakes, and the Atlantic Ocean; we have some of the most pristine forests, farmlands, and shores in the nation. We have a wonderful educational system, but there are areas that need improvement. We need to provide job skills for our people, to help them meet the challenges of the 21st Century, and of globalization and a changing world. Transportation infrastructure is in a state of decay; our brutal winters, coupled with the fact that many of our states were the first and foremost innovators in road-building, specifically the Interstate highway system, has left us with a now aging and inefficient system. And we must make government work for the people, not the people work for the government.

Now how do we do this? Well, above all, we must build alliances. That's what I've done in the Senate. Now some of my opponents may throw around labels, and attacks, and make good sound bites, but I've been working hard for the people of this District. In the Midwest, we know the difference between a workhorse and a showhorse. People here value hard work, experience, dedication, and above all, the abililty to get along with others. I have a proven record of being able to compromise, put forth pragmatic legislation that will improve the lives of the people rather than being beholden to the special interests, whether they be corporate or public. I'm doing the people's work, getting things done, forming positive relationships with my fellow Senators. So some of my opponents might toss out accusations, attacks, and rhetoric, but as former President Clinton said, no attack ever educated a child, or brought anyone health care, or created a job. I've built positive working relationships with my colleagues, and in the process, we've accomplished great things, but the future holds even more promise for our ability to solve Atlasia's problems together without resorting to partisan warfare and grandstanding.

Now, regarding specifics, my top 3 priorities would be:

1. An education bill that devolves power to the regions regarding the spending of money, application of educational standards, etc. while also increasing overall funding. I feel this is the best way to tackle this issue; devolve power, but also strongly support public funding. I am also open to vouchers provided that they don't take away any money from public schools and provided that they don't violate the church-state seperation.

2. I will reintroduce a revised version of my Environmental Protection and Intermodal Transportation Act, which should be more widely acceptable to those who opposed it before. I feel that we are very close to being able to accomplish great things on this issue, and I'd like the opportunity to continue working on it.

3. I would also like to bring the Community Development and Fair Wage Act again; that one unfortunately wasn't able to be voted on in this session as we didn't have time to get to it.

I'm assuming that most of the more technical issues regarding the Constitution will be fixed in the new Constitution; if not, that's something that we'd have to take a look at.

On a more personal level, I think that the number one thing that has to change in this country basic respect toward others and civility; I feel that's something that's very important for a successful nation, and especially for leaders of our nation, such as Senators.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies