Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ  (Read 9226 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2019, 07:23:05 AM »

Terrible tragedy Sad

What happened to the shooters? I don't have much time to read up on everything that's going on. Are they still at large?

3 men and one women were arrested in connection with these shootings.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2019, 07:31:05 AM »

Guys, I understand emotions are running high, but I've just deleted (mostly without infractions) questionable posts of all variety and attempts at thread derailing. Please keep it decent, as befitting the tragic occasion.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »

Frankly I'm surprised it took this long for the chans to produce another mass murderer considering the depths to which they've sunk in past years.

I'm starting to be of two minds about internet anonymity in general; it seems that a lot of people simply have little to no independent moral understanding and need social pressure to act half-decently.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2019, 07:42:04 AM »

I bet scores of New Zealanders are proud of this guy.
Outrageous statement. Do you know anything at all about New Zealand?

Evidently enough hate us to spill our blood on the streets
One person did. One.

Just one? Doubt. More are in custody, more supported him, more share his ideology,  there are bad apples in every nation. This is not the first or last time tragedies like this will exist.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »

We can't keep burying our heads in the sand. 49 innocent people were killed at their place of worship. I might not agree with certain values of Islam but this is nothing less than a horrific terrorist attack.  The alt right culture needs to be condemned and the anonymous trolls need to be outed. There is blood on people's hands.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »

One person did. One.

Just one? Doubt. More are in custody, more supported him, more share his ideology,  there are bad apples in every nation. This is not the first or last time tragedies like this will exist.
As much as it pains me to to say this you should be going after us Australians if you want a country to blame. That's where the shooter was from, and our media and political culture is far more likely to have inspired him than New Zealand
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2019, 07:57:45 AM »

One person did. One.

And ascribing collective guilt is no different to holding muslims responsible when the reverse happens. You get that, right?
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »

In a 74-page "manifesto" on the internet, the main Christchurch shooter writes - among a lot of standard right-wing conspiracy crap - that he was inspired and endorsed by the Norwegian mass shooter Anders Behring Breivik (who killed 77 in shootings in 2011)  Shocked

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/15/rightwing-extremist-wrote-manifesto-before-livestreaming-christchurch-shooting
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 07:58:57 AM »

I made the profound mistake of watching the terrorist's video. The most disturbing thing of the many disturbing things about it was that it's remarkable how similar it looks to those stupid video games these people play. I don't expect to have good dreams tonight.

I saw it on accident and now am legit having a big mental breakdown over it. I can't ever unsee those images or unhear the gunshots and screaming. It made me think about my family, I won't even go to Friday prayers tomorrow because of this.

Praying for you and the whole Muslim community today. Please do not let this silence your community. Freedom of religion is so important. Be proud of who you are and stand strong. We are with you. Purple heart
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 08:11:45 AM »

Terrible tragedy Sad

What happened to the shooters? I don't have much time to read up on everything that's going on. Are they still at large?

3 men and one women were arrested in connection with these shootings.

One of them have been freed since then.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »

One person did. One.

And ascribing collective guilt is no different to holding muslims responsible when the reverse happens. You get that, right?

There are some bad apples amongst us as well, yes.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »

I made the profound mistake of watching the terrorist's video. The most disturbing thing of the many disturbing things about it was that it's remarkable how similar it looks to those stupid video games these people play. I don't expect to have good dreams tonight.

I saw it on accident and now am legit having a big mental breakdown over it. I can't ever unsee those images or unhear the gunshots and screaming. It made me think about my family, I won't even go to Friday prayers tomorrow because of this.

Praying for you and the whole Muslim community today. Please do not let this silence your community. Freedom of religion is so important. Be proud of who you are and stand strong. We are with you. Purple heart

This. That said, stay home to feel safe if you need to. Don't feel like you have to do anything to prove anything to anyone. Take care of yourself and know that you are loved and there are many of us praying for you.
Omega21

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »

Just watched the full video of what he did, and yeah, I hope NZ has the death penalty, as I wouldn't want my taxes wasted on a piece of meat that doesn't deserve to live.

The white writings on his gun are names of various European national heroes/battles against the Ottomans, so he definitely did research and planned this for a long time.

May the Dead Rest in Peace and I hope the wounded survive.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2019, 09:04:01 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2019, 09:14:24 AM by Koharu »

Also, another request: Please, please don't watch or share the video or clips of it or anything.

The culprit was a terrorist. The goal was, in addition to the deaths, to cause fear. Watching the video only allows that victory. Just know that the deaths happened: that horror is enough.

Edited to add: The Dangerous Spread of Extremist Manifestos

This article is from February, when we thankfully averted a mass killing. The killing being discussed now was possibly also inspired by the person mentioned in this article.

Hasson is only the latest acolyte that Breivik has attracted in the years since his 2011 attack. Both terrorists and nonideological killers have attempted to emulate him directly, with deadly results. The Newtown shooter Adam Lanza reportedly collected news clippings on Breivik’s attack and other incidents of mass violence before he killed 20 children at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. Other young men, such as the British college student Liam Lyburd, have been inspired to plan or carry out mass shootings based on their admiration for Breivik’s lethality, rather than his beliefs.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »

When was the last time YouTube recommended an ISIS video to you? It doesn't because they make sure it doesn't. Yet why can't I escape recommendations for alt right/white nationalist vids or memes? Young people are being radicalised and we're not doing enough about it. 'It's just memes' is plausable deniability.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2019, 09:41:53 AM »

Frankly I'm surprised it took this long for the chans to produce another mass murderer considering the depths to which they've sunk in past years.

I'm starting to be of two minds about internet anonymity in general; it seems that a lot of people simply have little to no independent moral understanding and need social pressure to act half-decently.

I think that internet culture played a role but I don't think that anonymity is the whole story.  I'm protective about disconnecting my online and offline lives bar with people that I've learned to trust and I think that often leads to better conversation and discussions.

The issue for me is a couple of things but the primary one is the weaponisation of jokes, memes and "irony" to normalise what are distasteful and disgusting views.  The idea is to present something as it is a joke to give yourself plausible deniability while believing the ideas spread.  You can go back to when it started or which movements far right people latched themselves on to to try and get some amount of popular support but clearly radicalisation in this form is something that we need to address and need to address soon.  I don't think that its something that there really can be a legal solution to; realistically the answer has to the the old fashioned but hard to do thing where decent, ordinary people call out people who say such things either to convince them to change their mind (or realise the social harm in not being seen to have) or to have them not have their views accepted in polite society.  Its a slog I admit and not easy, but solutions to these things never are.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »

Yes, this is a good time to remind there's no such thing as assured anonymity in the internet.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »

Which is something I should have mentioned - just need to look at the many poor people who've been doxxed for crimes like... talking about feminism?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2019, 10:28:35 AM »

This story is heartbreaking.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »

Kalwejt, why are you constantly removing my posts ?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »

Guys, I understand emotions are running high, but I've just deleted (mostly without infractions) questionable posts of all variety and attempts at thread derailing. Please keep it decent, as befitting the tragic occasion.

You have deleted my posts (not sure why).

Let me repeat the points I made:

First off, it's neither right nor appropriate time. Second, this kind of ahat-aboutism, no matter how cleverly disguised, is simply unacceptable. Just as well as trying to normalize, whether intentionally or unintentionally, the motivations between that utterly despicable act. And it's not like an occassional slip, when one considers your behavior.

If you have a post deleted/moderated and disagree with the decision, try to take it up via proper channels (Atlas board or by messaging moderators), instead of repeating your offense in the same thread.

Also: take note I removed posts that were calling you out, sometimes in pretty direct manner.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »

You have deleted my posts (not sure why).

Let me repeat the points I made:

First off, it's neither right nor appropriate time. Second, this kind of ahat-aboutism, no matter how cleverly disguised, is simply unacceptable. Just as well as trying to normalize, whether intentionally or unintentionally, the motivations between that utterly despicable act. And it's not like an occassional slip, when one considers your behavior.

If you have a post deleted/moderated and disagree with the decision, try to take it up via proper channels (Atlas board or by messaging moderators), instead of repeating your offense in the same thread.

This is unacceptable.

You are deleting my posts randomly out of a personal assumption that I'm "disguising" or "normalizing" something ?

WTF ?

That's not moderating but dictatorial censorship.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »

Tender, I'm not going to let you derail this thread by making it all about yourself. Use proper chanel (PM modadmins or go to the Atlas board) if you have a complain.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »

When was the last time YouTube recommended an ISIS video to you? It doesn't because they make sure it doesn't. Yet why can't I escape recommendations for alt right/white nationalist vids or memes? Young people are being radicalised and we're not doing enough about it. 'It's just memes' is plausable deniability.

I think YouTube makes suggestions based on what you've been watching. I watched like 2 or 3 alt right videos once out of curiosity and I inmediately got a ton more and had to manually tell YouTube I'm not interested.

I imagine if you saw ISIS recruitment videos you'd get a lot more. Same with any other hateful ideology.

At the end of the day, for businesses it's all about making money.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »

Fraser Anning is scum btw.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length