UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:06:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 126
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 182396 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2250 on: September 02, 2023, 09:51:05 AM »

This is how other constituencies, in a similar position to Mid Bedfordshire, have voted in past by-elections:

Kensington and Chelsea (November 1999): Con HOLD
Beaconsfield (May 1982): Con HOLD
Southend East (March 1980): Con HOLD
Hertfordshire South West (December 1979): Con HOLD

Of all of the by-elections Sunak will face, or is facing, Mid Bedfordshire will allow him to see if Labour is winning the commuter belt. If Labour gain this seat, then he will wait to the last possible moment to call an election, if the Lib Dems win he will call it in May 2024, and if he actually wins it he will say "Nadine tried to lose this for us, but we won, I am the Prime Minister"

I don't think all of those provide a barometer for this and I am based in the Chilterns area anyways.

Labour during the Michael Foot years were hopeless and the Beaconsfield by-election (where a certain grinning cottager stood for Labour) was when the Falklands War was reaching its conclusion and Maggie Thatcher's approval and support and government approval did go up. The current government has nothing of the sort to cling on to now to claim popularity.

What is that meant to mean in this context?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2251 on: September 04, 2023, 01:49:11 AM »

Possible Tamworth by election if the honourable member Pincher resigns rather than facing a recall.

It is geographically a West Midlands seat but very Staffordshire in my mind! 19k majority but held by labour 97-05. The local election results were terrible for the Tories- one of their worst areas iirc in terms of just how much the bottom fell out.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2252 on: September 04, 2023, 05:26:00 AM »

Aye, I knew Labour had a relatively good night in the May elections, but could potentially be quite a brusing one, if this data is accurate:
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2253 on: September 04, 2023, 09:49:07 AM »

Yes it is still a tough ask for Labour to win, but not as tough as the 2019 result suggests on paper.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2254 on: September 04, 2023, 09:53:05 AM »

Possible Tamworth by election if the honourable member Pincher resigns rather than facing a recall.

It is geographically a West Midlands seat but very Staffordshire in my mind! 19k majority but held by labour 97-05. The local election results were terrible for the Tories- one of their worst areas iirc in terms of just how much the bottom fell out.

The Tory problems in Tamworth almost all flow from Pincher, but he's been able to hang around so long that said problems won't easily go away. He's the difference between Tamworth's sweeping Labour local result and the positive but not crushing Labour results in say Cannock Chase and Reddich. And all of these areas are no longer among Labour’s immediate targets, even though they were won in 1997. Glancing over at the various models will find they all in normal circumstances would still stay Tory presently, partially cause of voter behavior since 97, partially cause the seats are geographically larger and now include rural turf.

Yet I'm fairly confident Labour will be holding Tamworth after the next GE, all cause of Pincher. The candidate selection conundrum is just another gift he has left the seat, one that will require a new candidate if a by-election is called.  The unique environments created by many past by-elections have benefited the challenger by more than they should have,  specifically because of the circumstances  surrounding the past incumbents departure. Yet another boon to Labour. And a by-election would help Labour more than just flipping the seat: getting a incumbent in place would again mess with the Tory selection and give them an easier time winning a seat that would hypothetically be a reach target if the polls slightly tightened.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2255 on: September 04, 2023, 11:17:12 AM »

There have been some suggestions that they might sacrifice Walsall North to try to save Tamworth, by letting Eddie Hughes stand in the latter anyway, forcing another by-election. It sounds like a ridiculous thing to do, but Walsall North is effectively being abolished (which is why Hughes moved in the first place) so its loss might be regarded as acceptable if Hughes being candidate rather than some stopgap gives them a significantly better chance of holding Tamworth. I’m not convinced…

(Or they could just abandon Hughes and say that if they win the Tamworth by-election their new MP will be allowed to defend it, avoiding the stopgap problem but presumably making Hughes less than happy.)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2256 on: September 04, 2023, 11:22:34 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2023, 01:20:36 PM by YL »

BTW writs have been issued today for both Mid Bedfordshire and Rutherglen & Hamilton West. This means both should be on 5 October.

Edit: I think the Mid Beds motion may have delayed the actual issue of the writ until Tuesday next week. That would put it on either 12 or 19 October.

Edit 2: indeed it did, so R&HW will be on 5 Oct and Mid Beds a week or too later. Apparently there are rumours that Pincher is going to resign rather than go through recall, so Tamworth and Mid Beds could be on the same day.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2257 on: September 04, 2023, 01:41:32 PM »

Edit 2: indeed it did, so R&HW will be on 5 Oct and Mid Beds a week or too later. Apparently there are rumours that Pincher is going to resign rather than go through recall, so Tamworth and Mid Beds could be on the same day.
Not good news for Labour if so.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2258 on: September 04, 2023, 03:59:35 PM »

Not good news for Labour if so.

As difficult as it for Labour to win these seats, the optics of the Tories holding seats isn't great. And Rutherglen may also not be a walk over.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2259 on: September 05, 2023, 02:51:43 AM »

A staggered running order makes it harder for the Government to spin the results at least
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2260 on: September 05, 2023, 03:56:53 AM »

The Tories got 66% of the vote in Tamworth in 2019. That doesn’t mean it’s safe, and it would fall on the Selby & Ainsty swing, but it’s not an easy gain.

The Election Maps tweet above suggests that it’s not clear who carried it in May, given the split wards in the Lichfield district bit. AIUI that Lichfield bit is very Tory, which is partly why the constituency as a  whole leans to them more than you might think from its name.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2261 on: September 05, 2023, 04:33:33 AM »

The Tory problems in Tamworth almost all flow from Pincher, but he's been able to hang around so long that said problems won't easily go away. He's the difference between Tamworth's sweeping Labour local result and the positive but not crushing Labour results in say Cannock Chase and Reddich. And all of these areas are no longer among Labour’s immediate targets, even though they were won in 1997. Glancing over at the various models will find they all in normal circumstances would still stay Tory presently, partially cause of voter behavior since 97, partially cause the seats are geographically larger and now include rural turf.

I don't think this is true. Labour did well in Tamworth in May, but they did just as well in Redditch - Labour were 5% ahead, despite the two strongest wards in the borough not being up this year. And in Cannock the Tories got a hammering, which only looks better than it is because the Greens did well too. Pincher doesn't help, but the Conservatives are extremely unpopular in outlying bits of the West Midlands for a lot of other reasons.
robocop
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2262 on: September 05, 2023, 05:14:27 AM »

This is how other constituencies, in a similar position to Mid Bedfordshire, have voted in past by-elections:

Kensington and Chelsea (November 1999): Con HOLD
Beaconsfield (May 1982): Con HOLD
Southend East (March 1980): Con HOLD
Hertfordshire South West (December 1979): Con HOLD

Of all of the by-elections Sunak will face, or is facing, Mid Bedfordshire will allow him to see if Labour is winning the commuter belt. If Labour gain this seat, then he will wait to the last possible moment to call an election, if the Lib Dems win he will call it in May 2024, and if he actually wins it he will say "Nadine tried to lose this for us, but we won, I am the Prime Minister"

I don't think all of those provide a barometer for this and I am based in the Chilterns area anyways.

Labour during the Michael Foot years were hopeless and the Beaconsfield by-election (where a certain grinning cottager stood for Labour) was when the Falklands War was reaching its conclusion and Maggie Thatcher's approval and support and government approval did go up. The current government has nothing of the sort to cling on to now to claim popularity.

What is that meant to mean in this context?

What do you think it means?  Grumpy  Don't try to play dumb.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2263 on: September 05, 2023, 06:45:42 AM »

Well if you are claiming he is a closet homosexual, that's not the usual critique made about his private life (just ask one K R Murdoch if you don't accept my word on that)
robocop
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2264 on: September 05, 2023, 07:05:43 AM »

Well if you are claiming he is a closet homosexual, that's not the usual critique made about his private life (just ask one K R Murdoch if you don't accept my word on that)

It is clearly obvious looking at his mannerisms which I have ALWAYS noticed since the 90s.  Mock

Hey, if Philip Schofield could come out then why not......
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2265 on: September 05, 2023, 07:15:05 AM »

My point is, there are reasonably credible accounts of him having several heterosexual relationships - where are all the gay lovers if he has had them? You might expect at least one to "tell" wouldn't you.

And "mannerisms" aren't the be all and end all. There is definitely such a thing as "effeminate" men who are actually straight, and lots of gays and lesbians don't fit their stereotypes either.

I hold no brief for Mr Tony especially, and nor would it particularly bother me if he came out. I'm just saying that there is, as yet, no convincing evidence for it.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2266 on: September 05, 2023, 07:59:35 AM »

If we are on this subject, then even these days there are certain active and prominent politicians whose non-heterosexuality is widely rumoured rather than open. 'Prominent' perhaps narrows the field down significantly as it isn't an adjective that can be applied even to most of the cabinet or to most of the shadow cabinet.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2267 on: September 05, 2023, 08:23:10 AM »

Mandelson has friends whose heterosexuality is not in any doubt even by you Smiley

(and "cross dressing" doesn't equal gay either - has the whole trans panic really passed you by?)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2268 on: September 05, 2023, 08:37:24 AM »

Cease and desist, I think.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2269 on: September 05, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »

Yes, back to actual by-elections - there are after all a few coming up to discuss Smiley
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2270 on: September 05, 2023, 08:43:47 AM »

Back on topic, Central Bedfordshire council have stated that Mid Beds will be on 19 October.

Odds on the Lib Dems have lengthened a bit and those on Labour and the Tories shortened, but the yellows are still favourites. I’ve no idea whether that reflects the mood on the ground.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2271 on: September 06, 2023, 04:18:13 AM »

Senior Conservative MPs briefing that they expect Pincher to resign from the Commons this week - apparently there's now a serious push to get Tamworth and Mid Beds scheduled for the same day.

Only Allegretti at the Guardian, and Michael Crick reporting so far, so *may* just be wishful thinking on the part of the whips.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2272 on: September 07, 2023, 02:17:06 AM »

It is very much vibes based but the Lib Dem campaign doesn’t seem to be huge or as inevitable as Shropshire and others- I can’t pretend to know who will be the main challenger but it’s certainly not as obviously Lib Dem as people thought in the summer.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2273 on: September 07, 2023, 03:11:20 AM »

Tamworth: Reports that Chris Pincher has resigned written to Jeremy Hunt asking to be appointed Steward of the Manor of Northstead.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2274 on: September 07, 2023, 05:27:33 AM »

Eddie Hughes (sitting MP for Walsall North, and Conservative candidate for Tamworth at the next general election), has confirmed, via Facebook, that he won't contest the Tamworth by-election, or stand down from Walsall North.

Quote from: Eddie Hughes
I respect the MP for Tamworth's decision to resign today and I understand there will now be a by-election.

However, as the sitting Member of Parliament for Walsall North I have a commitment to my constituents until the next general election. I look forward to continuing to represent the great people of Bloxwich, Willenhall and Walsall North.

Unclear whether he's still their general election candidate, or whether the local association will try and convince a candidate to act as a placeholder for the remaining year or so in this parliament.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 126  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies