Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:13:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 912731 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: February 14, 2022, 03:07:27 PM »

Hopefully there isn’t a war cause war is bad
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 04:44:54 PM »

PSOL is many things, stupid, yes. But calling someone a fash who isn’t one just lessens the meanin.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 05:25:07 PM »

I think Pope Francis is the best person to mediate.

There are very few Catholics in either of these countries though
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »

I think Pope Francis is the best person to mediate.

There are very few Catholics in either of these countries though
Yeah, I feel like Pope John Paul II would have been a better fit to mediate since at least he was from Eastern Europe. Maybe in the 12th Century Popes were useful for mediation of international conflicts, but not today.

1. John Paul II mediated a dispute between Argentina and Chile in the 1980s, so this isn't out of the picture.

2. Ukraine apparently wants Pope Francis to intervene, like now. https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-looks-pope-francis-help-end-conflict-russia-report-1679024

Although there are not that many catholics in either country, Pope Francis is seen as the most trusted moral leader  in Ukraine.

It makes more sense between Two heavily catholic countries like Argentina and Chile
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 10:12:59 PM »

Let’s be honest: literally no one weird would’ve supported declaring war on the USSR in 1939/1940 despite all their forceful expansionist activities.

That's because a certain other power (that Im sure you're a fan of) was in the way.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 05:10:27 PM »

Sure.jan, Biden Admin will just do this because Mr. Putin wants so.

Why stop at Europe? And when will Putin demand Alaska back? This circus act would be funny if it were not so tragic.

Torie how did you feel about Sewards folly back in the day?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »

Is this even Putin? Some time ago I noticed that he wears his watch on the right arm.

So uhh… Putin is left handed then. Because aren’t you supposed to wear your watch on your off hand.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 06:46:44 PM »

Sounds to me like US intel is expecting an all out invasion today/tonight, and that not even Lviv will be safe from that. Or at the very least, they are treating that possibility as credible enough to entirely evacuate all the American diplomats that they previously evacuated to Lviv. I bet that is what those US planes and helicopters that were spotted near the Poland-Ukraine border were doing.

Why is the USA doing this?  Even in an all-out Russian invasion leading to the capture of Kyiv, a Russian assault on the USA embassy is tantamount to a declaration of war.  When the Taliban took over Kabul the USA embassy was not attacked.  If the USA wants to move its embassy to Lviv if Kyiv is captured by the Russians and the Ukrainian government relocates to Lviv that would make sense.  And then if the Russians capture Lviv and the Ukrainian government moves to become a government in exile it makes sense for the USA to move with it.  But it does not make sense to move the USA embassy to Lviv now let alone outside Ukraine.

Bombs sometimes miss their targets and if they hit the US Embassy it would be "Why didn't Biden move our ambassador out and got them killed." Think of Benghazi times a million.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 11:06:03 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong.  In 2021 nuclear power from 6 nuclear plants provided for 13% of Germany energy needs.  3 of them were shut down end of 2021 and the other 3 will be shut down at the end of 2022.

And all but one of the remaining six (yes, only six) nuclear power stations in Great Britain will be gone within six years and will not be replaced. Proposals for replacements are made frequently enough and sometimes projects even start, but, curiously, they never get very far. The difference between existing German and British policy on this matter is largely cosmetic.

Wasn't there a scandal back in the day about kids having uranium in their teeth.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 10:23:07 PM »

This is horrifying, I'm so scared. We must now all support the Ukrainian Army and people in their fight for freedom.

Spare us the pearl clutching. Why are you scared? You're not in Ukraine. This war will not touch the USA. Gas prices will go up a bit, that's all. You're really that upset that the grand American ploy to surround and contain Russia has failed?

Again, it's amazing that on a forum that is so politically aware, the vast majority drink the Kool-Aid and accept the Western "freedom and democracy" propaganda as the inalienable truth.

What grand ploy? Ukraine is being invaded at no fault of their own because of the imperialist policies of Putin.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 04:06:13 PM »

Does anyone have a good source for the progress of the battle? It seems like there just isn’t any information at all which is to be expected but presumably there is massive fighting happening right?

We know  all
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 08:24:26 PM »

Seeing talk about a "Ghost of Kyiv" - a Mig-29 fighter pilot who has allegedly taken down 4 Russian planes around Kyiv today. If true, Ukraine's got themselves one of the first genuine fighter aces in a long time.

When was the last time there was an air ace?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 08:57:02 PM »

I do not care if the Ghost of Kyiv is exaggeration I am choosing to believe it
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2022, 02:05:52 AM »

Also, a sidenote: It took us from November 7 last year to February 24 to get to 100 pages. Anyone want to wager how long it'll take us until we've reached 200?

We've had like 60 pages in the last day, so I'd say Saturday or Sunday
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2022, 10:52:53 PM »

I know BRTD said this but am I the only one else thinking Rubio is way more based now?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2022, 11:59:51 PM »

“Suicide” I’m sure
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2022, 12:00:44 AM »

As I reply from my previous reply it’s not to make light of his death, but instead to imply Russian government implication in any suicide
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 05:46:46 PM »

FWIW Article V doesn't mean war with Russia it just means "retaliation"
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 06:23:09 PM »

Yea so... we messed up, promise.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »

Looks like another false flag to employ NATO imperialism in the world, what's next the US invading Russia because they have WMDs? Or are getting Yellowcake? LOL
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies