Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:37:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 1164
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 886282 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3525 on: February 26, 2022, 11:00:20 PM »
« edited: February 26, 2022, 11:03:24 PM by iBizzBee »

It's a tweet, that's it, about one of the worst people alive (sans Kim Jong Un, the Ayatollah, Netanyahu, etc...) let's not all go giving little Marco too much applause for a tweet. He still has horrible social, economic and (mostly) foreign policy.

And his PFP still annoys me, it's almost like he's trying too hard to be relatable.

Any way, far more importantly, back to focusing on the valiant defense being put up by the Ukrainian people...
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3526 on: February 26, 2022, 11:01:48 PM »

Thanks...?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3527 on: February 26, 2022, 11:05:49 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 11:09:29 PM by Frodo »

It seems Vladimir Putin wasted his time going to Beijing during the Winter Olympics to secure Xi Jinping's support for his upcoming invasion of Ukraine:

So much for that feared Russia-China alliance across the length and breadth of Eurasia that some here have been worrying about.  China hasn't been proving itself much of an ally for Russia at all.
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3528 on: February 26, 2022, 11:07:39 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3529 on: February 26, 2022, 11:15:14 PM »

I actually realized an easy way to monitor this: check for Ingress activity. The last activity in Kyiv was over four hours ago. And even Lviv was over two hours ago.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3530 on: February 26, 2022, 11:16:56 PM »

I know BRTD said this but am I the only one else thinking Rubio is way more based now?

For all that he was giving every sign of being on the wrong side of this a week ago, his public presence since the war started has been very good. I haven't seen similar behavior from any other member of Congress, from either side of the aisle.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3531 on: February 26, 2022, 11:17:37 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 11:21:20 PM by Badger »

While I used to be able to sympathize with some of Putin's views on certain issues, now I just can't. Putin is 100% without a doubt a war criminal now and I do not sympathize with war criminals! I still don't support US troops in Ukraine and hope that both sides can find a solution rather quickly, which sadly looks pretty unlikely at this point.

Just thought I'd give my two cents.

I am trying to restrain myself from hyperbole in asking this, but on what possible issues could one agree with Vladimir Putin on? Serious question.

Bringing stability to your country and raising it up from being an Oligarch dominated disaster zone like Russia in the 1990s or the United States.

Hooray. He turned it into an autocratic puppet state cracking down on all forms of democracy.  And how completely out of out of reality it is to say that Putin has somehow removed Russia from being "oligarch dominated" . It completely is now even worse than the nineties, it's just now there his own oligarchs in his back pocket..

Your. Values are completely out of whack.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3532 on: February 26, 2022, 11:21:02 PM »

While I used to be able to sympathize with some of Putin's views on certain issues, now I just can't. Putin is 100% without a doubt a war criminal now and I do not sympathize with war criminals! I still don't support US troops in Ukraine and hope that both sides can find a solution rather quickly, which sadly looks pretty unlikely at this point.

I am trying to restrain myself from hyperbole in asking this, but on what possible issues could one agree with Vladimir Putin on? Serious question.

Bringing stability to your country and raising it up from being an Oligarch dominated disaster zone like Russia in the 1990s or the United States.

Lol, 1990s Russia and the current United States are not at all similar.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3533 on: February 26, 2022, 11:24:46 PM »

AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3534 on: February 26, 2022, 11:39:20 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3535 on: February 26, 2022, 11:40:58 PM »

Kyiv is still standing after another night of fighting! 🇺🇦
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3536 on: February 26, 2022, 11:51:44 PM »

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3537 on: February 26, 2022, 11:59:51 PM »

“Suicide” I’m sure
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3538 on: February 27, 2022, 12:00:44 AM »

As I reply from my previous reply it’s not to make light of his death, but instead to imply Russian government implication in any suicide
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3539 on: February 27, 2022, 12:07:18 AM »

Hopefully true
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3540 on: February 27, 2022, 12:13:02 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2022, 12:16:19 AM by Storr »

It's clear the political need to achieve quick victory (the longer the war goes on, the harder it is to hide the costs from the public) simply did not meet the capabilities of the Russian army, or at least the forces deployed at the Ukrainian border. I don't think the Russians are playing tactical 3D chess waiting for the moment to send in the "A team" forces. They simply either expected very little resistance or were caught off guard by the West's response to Putin's threats and had to assemble an invasion force and formulate plan of attack at the last minute.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3541 on: February 27, 2022, 12:25:32 AM »

It's clear the political need to achieve quick victory (the longer the war goes on, the harder it is to hide the costs from the public) simply did not meet the capabilities of the Russian army, or at least the forces deployed at the Ukrainian border. I don't think the Russians are playing tactical 3D chess waiting for the moment to send in the "A team" forces. They simply either expected very little resistance or were caught off guard by the West's response to Putin's threats and had to assemble an invasion force and formulate plan of attack at the last minute.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497788908037459973?s=20&t=szOuVvmSN6wuuB9kY8c_3Q

Yeah, honestly, I haven't seen a reasonable explanation for the Russian stupidity other than massive overconfidence.
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #3542 on: February 27, 2022, 12:25:36 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2022, 12:31:46 PM by Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 »

BASED

Edit: Here's what the Tweet that I linked, now deleted, had said

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3543 on: February 27, 2022, 12:32:49 AM »

Lmao at the idea that Russia is better than the US today . Heck I’d say Jim Crow South USA > Russia has ever been
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3544 on: February 27, 2022, 12:35:34 AM »

Is it possible Putin has fallen into the same "yes man" trap many other strong men leaders have?  As in:
1.strongman wins control
b.strongman gets rid of all dissent
III.strongman is surrounded by people who tell him what he wants to hear
D.strongman believes them, steps into something bad that should have been obvious
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3545 on: February 27, 2022, 12:36:45 AM »

Is it possible Putin has fallen into the same "yes man" trap many other strong men leaders have?  As in:
1.strongman wins control
b.strongman gets rid of all dissent
III.strongman is surrounded by people who tell him what he wants to hear
D.strongman believes them, steps into something bad that should have been obvious
Best example is how Gaddafi managed to lose a war to...Chad. In hindsight it's a miracle that guy stuck around as long as he did.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3546 on: February 27, 2022, 12:39:07 AM »

Lmao at the idea that Russia is better than the US today . Heck I’d say Jim Crow South USA > Russia has ever been

This is a revolting take, can we just agree they're both sh**tty and move on. Lord.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3547 on: February 27, 2022, 12:40:59 AM »

To put things into perspective, Gaddafi had a pretty modern Soviet-equipped military, and he still managed to get his ass kicked by these guys:

With that in mind Ukraine winning doesn't seem so far-fetched now.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3548 on: February 27, 2022, 12:43:12 AM »

I have to wonder also whether Putin isn't hardening Anti-Russian sentiment even in the East of Ukraine; people and countries grow by going through hardships together after all. He's creating martyrs, fostering camaraderie  among Ukrainian's in the defense of their homes and pushing them into the arms of the West even more than they were before. Will there be a single youth in Ukraine who believes in Pro-Russian policies after all this horror is said and done?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3549 on: February 27, 2022, 12:45:47 AM »

BASED

What was this? it's gone.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 1164  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies