What the heck am I?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:14:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What the heck am I?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What the heck am I?  (Read 502 times)
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:17:43 PM »

Qualities:

Nonpartisan person, compromiser + dealmaker, wants to work in bipartisan way
Not an ideologue, hates labels, hates putting people in boxes
Not a big supporter of identity politics
Registered Democrat, but has been registered as Republican and independent too
Voted for Hillary because I liked her and wanted a woman president

Issues:

Affirmative Action
:  I think its unfair to hire someone based on their skin color, just like it would be unfair to not hire someone because of their skin color.
Bread and Butter Issues: American workers need more time with their families, and they need economic security.  I 100% support paid sick leave.  Nobody should choose between being sick and losing their pay.  I think we should have living wages, not just minimum wages...  I believe in the basic bargain (like Hillary did) -- that if you work hard, and give it all you've got, that your hard work should be rewarded with high wages and plentiful benefits.

Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid:  I believe very strongly in these FDR and LBJ programs, I think they should be expanded.  I think we should stick with these 3 programs instead of trying to create new programs (i.e. Affordable Care Act).  I would be willing to sit down with conservatives and hear their ideas about vouchers... I'm afraid it would be a very bad idea if we ever had another depression, but im willing at least to hear how it would work before shutting them down.

Science:  I believe in trusting the scientists over business people when it comes to environmental, climate issues...  I think there is a consensus that global warming is real and I think we need to focus NOW on safeguarding coastal areas from rising sea levels... its better to be safe than sorry

Evolution/Intelligent design:  I think everything should be shown to students-- Darwin, various religious explanations, Native American concepts, all kinds of theories.

Censorship:  I 100% strongly oppose and feel thats government being too invasive.  There should be no such thing, unless its like a filter to protect your child from seeing something inappropriate.  But im not a book burning supporter at all.

First Amendment
: I think part of what makes America exceptional is that unpopular, unpleasant, and offensive speech is allowed.  It's part of what makes us unique, no matter how much it hurts us when we see flags being burned or the KKK rallying in the townsquare.

Black Lives Matter: I understand it as a reaction from the black community about the killing of black people by cops.  I think that blacks have a right to feel angry because it, to me, is no coincidence.  There's been too many incidents of excessive force.. something's clearly wrong.

Taxes:  I don't think anyone making under $100,000 should be paying much in taxes...these workers need purchasing power to keep our capitalist economy strong. I favor progressive tax code, but something mild.  Nobody wants to pay taxes...  I think maybe we explained better to workers where their money is going instead of just ripping it out of their hands.  Perhaps what we can do is solicit donations.  People may be willing to pay more revenue to government if they were asked nicely and knew why the town/city/county/state/country needed the money. (too naive?)

Education: No standardized anything.  Let each child go at his or her pace, don't push standards on them...  every child is different in how they learn.  I don't like the idea of federal education bills, I think that federal government may certainly provide additional funds to communities (but i oppose telling them what to do)...  I think the ideal would be to have a marketplace of different schools.  Just because there's a public school 2 miles away doesn't mean that's necessarily the best choice for your child.  I also like the idea of alternatives to the traditional classroom-- more field trips, more internships, more training for special skills, more innovations in education --- really all a child needs is a great teacher, not a fancy classroom.

s
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »

sorry i accidentally posted it before i was done....  I think the post is self-indulgent -- but i've been getting all kinds of different results on all the political quizzes-- I'm not sure where I would fit in best.  Or maybe that's it- I said I didn't want to be put into a box- maybe I'm just an independent-minded person.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:48 PM »

clearly a democrat
Rooney
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 04:28:24 PM by Rooney »