January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread

<< < (749/752) > >>

emailking:
Quote from: Pericles on May 07, 2024, 08:24:24 PM

Doesn't this at least mean the calendar is open for Chutkan, provided any SCOTUS ruling isn't too brazen and favorable for Trump?

yes.

Quote from: emailking on May 07, 2024, 07:41:50 PM

Silver lining: She is not blocking out out the J6 trial happening before the election if we get a SCOTUS miracle.

Progressive Pessimist:
Quote from: GeorgiaModerate on May 07, 2024, 08:25:35 PM

Doesn't this at least mean the calendar is open for Chutkan, provided any SCOTUS ruling isn't too brazen and favorable for Trump?

Yes, that’s the silver lining in this decision.

Again, assuming the Supreme Court rules soon enough and doesn't rule in Trump's favor, which should not be considered very likely.

Pericles:
Quote from: Progressive Pessimist on May 07, 2024, 09:10:15 PM

Again, assuming the Supreme Court rules soon enough and doesn't rule in Trump's favor, which should not be considered very likely.

I really don't think they have the legal ground to stand on to kill the case outright, they can help Trump by delaying it or weakening it. Its own self interest in its 'legitimacy' means they do have some boundaries.

And Chutkan has been a lot more willing to push on than Cannon, so it sounds like it's her call and she could ignore the election campaign. It is a case of extremely high public interest after all.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin:

I think it's a foregone conclusion that they're going to send it back to a lower court for review, to decide which charges might covered by Presidential Immunity, thus making certain that either: 1) President[sic] Trump can pardon himself, or 2) Loser Trump is no longer a threat to them (they hope).

Yoda:
Quote from: Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin on May 07, 2024, 09:43:28 PM

I think it's a foregone conclusion that they're going to send it back to a lower court for review, to decide which charges might covered by Presidential Immunity, thus making certain that either: 1) President[sic] Trump can pardon himself, or 2) Loser Trump is no longer a threat to them (they hope).

If I was the judge, I'd take about an hour to decide that only the crimes specifically stated in the Constitution that the President is immune to are what trump is safe from prosecution of. Problem solved. Let the "strict constructionists" on SCOTUS find fault with that. I don't care one bit about DoJ legal opinion memos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page