National anthem kneeling in other countries thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:57:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  National anthem kneeling in other countries thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: National anthem kneeling in other countries thread  (Read 2266 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« on: December 31, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »

Never heard of anyone kneeling for Il canto degli italiani.
I don't think I have ever heard of it getting boo'ed for political reasons either at least recently. Certainly not for regionalist causes, since South Tyrolean separatism is quite dead now - and in any case South Tyrolean teams suck at football, and pretty much every team sport.
I know there was a time when the anthem was considered "right-wing" for some reason* but I think it was ignored more than it was boo'ed, and this changed around the time I was born. I should note that technically it has only become the official anthem by law in late 2017.

*which is absolutely ludicrous to anyone who knows something about Goffredo Mameli and his ideals

Didn't the leghisti use to whistle when it played? Back in the Bossi days I mean.

Oh well, I forgot about that "separatism". Lol
I am not sure, but it's plausible. I remember more that time Bossi said something like "the Constitution? I wipe my *** with that".

On the other side of the political spectrum, I believe Livorno fans booed during a memorial for Italian soldiers killed in Iraq before a match, although I don’t know if the national anthem was played. Probably not.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »

It’s not kneeling to the national anthem (the national anthem isn’t played before games in the UK), and literally every single player and referee in the Premier League does it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 01:42:43 PM »

It’s not kneeling to the national anthem (the national anthem isn’t played before games in the UK), and literally every single player and referee in the Premier League does it.

What is Hendo kneeling about, then?

All of the Premier League players (not sure why you’re singling out Henderson) have been taking a knee before every match since football returned in June to show their support for BLM. The reception has been overwhelmingly positive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies