Goya was a staple in Latino households. It likely won't be anymore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:08:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Goya was a staple in Latino households. It likely won't be anymore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Goya was a staple in Latino households. It likely won't be anymore  (Read 950 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »

Adios, Goya! That seemed to be the prevailing sentiment on social media after Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue praised President Trump at a White House ceremony on Thursday afternoon. Speaking at a Rose Garden event, Unanue said, "We're all truly blessed, at the same time, to have a leader like President Trump who is a builder." He compared Trump to his grandfather, an immigrant from Spain who founded the company in 1936. Almost at once, a backlash ensued on social media, under hashtags like #Goyaway and #BoycottGoya.

The boycott of Goya is entirely warranted. Many Latinos are angry at Unanue, and they are sad and disappointed in him, too. His remarks reflect how out of touch CEOs can be to their primary consumers, and to the national mood.

Goya Foods distributes over 2,500 items from throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, and their products are sold everywhere from bodegas to Walmart.

As such, Unanue's comments at the White House's Hispanic Prosperity Initiative show a staggering lack of awareness. His comments about Trump were offensive because Trump is known for scapegoating Latinos and immigrants, the very groups that form Goya's loyal consumer base.

[...]

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/perspectives/goya-boycott-robert-unanue/index.html
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »

It's hilarious to see Trump supporters, who never bought Goya products in their lives, rushing out to the supermarket to buy the products and post about them on twitter.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »

White leftists never bought Goya either. This will blow over in a week or two.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »

White leftists never bought Goya either.

and?

This will blow over in a week or two.

Wrong.

Hispanics are now actively shopping for other brands
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »

95% of Latinos do not care about this at all. I'm so sick of this Twitter bs.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:46:47 AM »

What does this number come from?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »

Yeah, this is an extremely online phenomenon that most blue-collar latinos don't even know about.

If there's any actual damage to their bottom line, they'll fire the CEO and it'll blow over.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 11:49:48 AM »

That was just my estimation. The actual number is 97%.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »

whoops!

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »

Goya is a staple in Caribbean households as well. My parents are Jamaican and frequently use Goya products. It made my mom a bit upset that Unanue attended this Trump WH event but I highly doubt the boycott will be wide-ranging or long-lasting.

I love to drink Malta Goya but I'm not going to stop buying it. Most CEOs of major companies support Trump, if I boycotted their products I would be basically left with nothing to buy lol.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »

That was just my estimation. The actual number is 97%.

Where does THAT number come from?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »

White leftists never bought Goya either. This will blow over in a week or two.

Empirically wrong.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »

Yeah, this is an extremely online phenomenon that most blue-collar latinos don't even know about.

If there's any actual damage to their bottom line, they'll fire the CEO and it'll blow over.

The only reason I knew about this is that my friend just emptied his pantry of GOYA products to drop them off at the food bank and posted about it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »

The only reason I knew about this is that my friend just emptied his pantry of GOYA products to drop them off at the food bank and posted about it.

Your friend sounds extremely online.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »

Your friend sounds extremely online.

College student tends to do that
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »

Prediction: 95%+ percent of Goya’s customers don’t give a darn about this and will keep buying their products. White urban liberals care about stupid crap like this, not normal people (ie everyone else)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 12:20:34 PM »

This is not just a Twitter or online debate.
This Goya-CEO-support-for-trump story and the boycott have been playing on Cable and OTA News outlets (both in English and Spanish outlets).
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »

Imagine basing your dietary habits on sh*t like this.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »

Prediction: 95%+ percent of Goya’s customers don’t give a darn about this and will keep buying their products. White urban liberals care about stupid crap like this, not normal people (ie everyone else)

It never fails to amaze how much conservatives feel the outright need to rail against " Urban white liberals" on issues of race. It completely ignores the fact that overwhelming majorities of Hispanic and Asian Americans, not to mention almost Universal support among African-Americans, for those very same goals. I suppose it's necessary for their own state of mind because to acknowledge they need to attack persons of color for believe in quite similarly way as those elitist white liberals would be.... discomforting.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »

It's hilarious to see Trump supporters, who never bought Goya products in their lives, rushing out to the supermarket to buy the products and post about them on twitter.

Goya is a standard American brand in every supermarket. I am more surprised to hear that people looking at authentic recipes use it since I use it on a weekly basis (as I tend to avoid supermarket brands for my culture). I assume every 'basic' person in this country who doesn't shop at Whole Foods uses it frequently as well. I don't think this is the partisan product that you think it is.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »

Goya is a standard American brand in every supermarket. I am more surprised to hear that people looking at authentic recipes use it since I use it on a weekly basis (as I tend to avoid supermarket brands for my culture). I assume every 'basic' person in this country who doesn't shop at Whole Foods uses it frequently as well. I don't think this is the partisan product that you think it is.

counterexample: I don't shop at Whole Foods and I don't use any Goya products
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 02:19:51 PM »

It never fails to amaze how much conservatives feel the outright need to rail against " Urban white liberals" on issues of race. It completely ignores the fact that overwhelming majorities of Hispanic and Asian Americans, not to mention almost Universal support among African-Americans, for those very same goals. I suppose it's necessary for their own state of mind because to acknowledge they need to attack persons of color for believe in quite similarly way as those elitist white liberals would be.... discomforting.

Tell us more, white man.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »

Tell us more, white man.
Please stop pretending (bad faith posting) as if you believe that white people aren't allowed to talk about race and racists.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies