Which Presidential candidates have you seen in person? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:29:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Which Presidential candidates have you seen in person? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Presidential candidates have you seen in person?  (Read 3613 times)
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »

Jimmy Carter in 1977.  My parents and I were visiting my uncle and his family that Easter in Calhoun, GA, where my mom grew up.  I was an Army brat and we were living in Savannah at the time.  Well, one of Carter's sons lived in Calhoun and he went to visit.  A ton of people turned out to greet him at the small airport and I remember as he passed shaking hands Carter said they "didn't expect this kind of a reception."

I also saw Newt Gingrich when he came to speak at a class at my college in the early 90s.  If he noticed the "I survived the Reagan administration" button on my backpack strap, he didn't say anything.  (I was a bit more liberal in my youth than I am now)

Interesting story that happened to my mother.  She and some relatives were sightseeing in DC in the mid-90s and had stopped to take some pictures outside one of the buildings near the White House.  An older gentleman stopped and offered to take a photo so all of them could be in the picture.  One of the relatives thought he looked familiar and asked.  It was Lloyd Bentsen.  I always thought he seemed very classy in the 1988 campaign and wish we had more gentlemen like him in DC. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies