Gettysburg and Grant Comes East
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:50:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Gettysburg and Grant Comes East
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gettysburg and Grant Comes East  (Read 4090 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:04:13 PM »

By Newt Gengrich, anyone read these?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »

Can't say that I have.  When it comes to the Civil War, I prefer to stick to McPherson, Foote, and Catton.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 02:57:03 PM »

Can't say that I have.  When it comes to the Civil War, I prefer to stick to McPherson, Foote, and Catton.

McPherson is horribly biased and one sided. I would recommend staying away from him if you want any accurate history.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 03:30:41 PM »

McPherson is horribly biased and one sided. I would recommend staying away from him if you want any accurate history.

In what way do you consider him biased?  It's been a while since I read Battle Cry of Freedom but I don't recall anything that triggered my bias alarm in any direction, something that happens with reasonable frequency when I read history.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 07:42:30 PM »

Agreed, McPherson is trash, stick to Foote for non-fiction books.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 08:01:47 PM »

In what way do you consider him biased?  It's been a while since I read Battle Cry of Freedom but I don't recall anything that triggered my bias alarm in any direction, something that happens with reasonable frequency when I read history.

Look at his activities outside his writings. He has appeared on Democracy Now! and has condemned the UDC, SCV and even the Museum of the Confederacy.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 11:10:09 PM »

Look at his activities outside his writings. He has appeared on Democracy Now! and has condemned the UDC, SCV and even the Museum of the Confederacy.

Actually he praised the Museum of the Confederacy in the radio interview that was the impetus of the controversy between him and the SCV and UDC, tho he did have some less than charitible things to say about some of the sponsors of the Museum.  As for the SCV and the UDC, I feel they turn a willful blind eye to the racists within their ranks.  That neglect is what has done the most harm to their stated and honorable purposes, and what leads many others in reaction to be so stridently anti-Confederate in response.  It is unfortunate that racists have enveloped themselves in the symbols of the Confederacy, but it is a fact that cannot be dealt with by ignoring it as the SCV and the UDC try to do.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 03:50:29 AM »

I saw these books at work. Newt is up to something these days, he's trying to get back in power. I love how he was giving advice to Republican lawmakers as if he wasn't already disgraced himself.

As for the books themselves, I wouldn't read them if you paid me. Same goes for those awful-looking Harry Turtledove Books, there's like 800 of those.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 03:53:16 AM »

I saw these books at work. Newt is up to something these days, he's trying to get back in power. I love how he was giving advice to Republican lawmakers as if he wasn't already disgraced himself.

As for the books themselves, I wouldn't read them if you paid me. Same goes for those awful-looking Harry Turtledove Books, there's like 800 of those.

The sad thing is, he is less of a disgrace than these other Republicans.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:26:29 AM »

Actually he praised the Museum of the Confederacy in the radio interview that was the impetus of the controversy between him and the SCV and UDC, tho he did have some less than charitible things to say about some of the sponsors of the Museum.  As for the SCV and the UDC, I feel they turn a willful blind eye to the racists within their ranks.  That neglect is what has done the most harm to their stated and honorable purposes, and what leads many others in reaction to be so stridently anti-Confederate in response.  It is unfortunate that racists have enveloped themselves in the symbols of the Confederacy, but it is a fact that cannot be dealt with by ignoring it as the SCV and the UDC try to do.

I would disagree with you on what you've said about the UDC and SCV. I know many many dozens of members of both organizations and my wife is a second vice president in a chapter. The UDC and SCV are not in control of ever single chapter (many hundred) in the nation and overseas. The chapters around here that I know of DO however condemn racism and such nonsense and I know of several members of the SCV that were expelled from the organization after being found out as holding very racist views.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »

I would disagree with you on what you've said about the UDC and SCV. I know many many dozens of members of both organizations and my wife is a second vice president in a chapter. The UDC and SCV are not in control of ever single chapter (many hundred) in the nation and overseas. The chapters around here that I know of DO however condemn racism and such nonsense and I know of several members of the SCV that were expelled from the organization after being found out as holding very racist views.
Then I would say that they are improving, altho a bit belatedly.  Since my family was still in Canada at the time after having to flee after the First American Revolution, I don't pay as much attention to organizations that deal with the Second as those who have a more direct connection.

However, we've gotten off on quite a tangent.  What is it about McPherson's writings on history (as opposed to his comments on historical affiliation groups) that strikes you as biased?
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 08:04:18 PM »

As has been stated I am the 2nd Vice President of Plant City Chapter #1931, United Daughters of the Confederacy.  With that title, I am head of the Membership Committee.   As such, it is one of my responsibilities to advise prospective members that we are NOT a hate group, we do NOT tolerate  or advocate racism, and that we are open to ANYONE who can prove lineage to a person who provided service or material aid to the Confederate States.  Also, it is stated in our by-laws, that no discrimination may be made  on the basis of race or creed.  Our Chapter, in fact has a member who is black.  Now, I cannot speak for the SCV, as I am not a member, but I do have many friends in the organization, and they censure members who are openly racist.  I know of 2 camps who reach out to the community to try and heal the rifts that have come from the abuse of the Battle Flag.  They attend the local Juneteenth Celebration and have never had any problems.   

Now, back to the orginal topics, I haven't read any McPherson, but I have read the Gingrich-- he's alright, not the best I've ever read.

Delicia
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 11:19:33 PM »

Harry Turtledove is a joke, I hate his books, they are garbage. These books are nothing like his, they are well researched and present feasable victory scenarios for the south, it also makes heroes out of the Army of the Potomac, treating them as equals to the southerners, just with bad leadership. These are not pro-south vovels, they are also very anti-slavery and exemplify the fact that the South's slavery problem was the one thing they had to learn to get over to win the war.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies