COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:42:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 268277 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 22, 2020, 10:13:37 PM »

This is the study that found no benefit in treatment but an increase in deaths among those given it.

They keep pushing this just because Trump said it. I thought of a possible treatment that turns out to actually help (blood plasma), but I'm not the President.

Not to mention Remdesivir and a bunch of other treatments that have shown promise. But no, keep doubling down on Hydrox.

OK,

Good news for the Europe and USA. All appear to be on the downward slope now to recovery. The interesting thing about this pandemic is the limited time period displayed in all countries including South Korea and China. 1 month up and 1-2 months down the curve in most instances with a slight variation in the length in some countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I have to disagree with you here. U.S cases are NOT going down, we added more cases today than yesterday and we added 30k+ new cases today....

I don't think you understand the difference between active cases and new cases.

Also, yes, case rates are going town. Slowly at first though.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #451 on: April 22, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »

This is the study that found no benefit in treatment but an increase in deaths among those given it.

They keep pushing this just because Trump said it. I thought of a possible treatment that turns out to actually help (blood plasma), but I'm not the President.

Not to mention Remdesivir and a bunch of other treatments that have shown promise. But no, keep doubling down on Hydrox.

OK,

Good news for the Europe and USA. All appear to be on the downward slope now to recovery. The interesting thing about this pandemic is the limited time period displayed in all countries including South Korea and China. 1 month up and 1-2 months down the curve in most instances with a slight variation in the length in some countries.

I have to disagree with you here. U.S cases are NOT going down, we added more cases today than yesterday and we added 30k+ new cases today....

When I say added cases I meant new cases
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #452 on: April 22, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »

NIH Covid-19 treatment guidelines warn against drug combo pushed by Trump
The panel specifically recommends against using the combination of hydroxychloroquine plus the antibiotic azithromycin because of potential toxic side-effects, except as part of a clinical trial. It also recommends against a combination of the HIV drugs lopinavir and ritonavir and other HIV drugs that stop viruses from replicating.

He really is a snake-oil salesman.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #453 on: April 22, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »

OK,

Maybe we've past the peak but its definitely lingering to the point where no one can say we're out of the woods yet. If people are stupid enough, we might not have actually peaked yet.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #454 on: April 22, 2020, 10:39:14 PM »

Yeah there's no law that says we have to follow a bell curve. On average that's what you get, but individual curves can be messy.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #455 on: April 22, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »

OK,

We are seeing a steady decline in case growth, but as soon as States lift restrictions too early, our numbers will shoot up again. Things are going well now, but I am pessimistic that our governors will make the right calls.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #456 on: April 22, 2020, 11:00:07 PM »

I thought the reason for the new cases was expanded testing.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #457 on: April 22, 2020, 11:09:00 PM »

And I wrote a consent document for the latter today!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #458 on: April 23, 2020, 01:08:42 AM »

Yeah there's no law that says we have to follow a bell curve. On average that's what you get, but individual curves can be messy.

It's pretty clearly going to have a longer tail than head. Just look at daily new cases in Italy.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #459 on: April 23, 2020, 01:47:35 AM »

I thought the reason for the new cases was expanded testing.

New hospitalizations and new deaths are also increasing.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #460 on: April 23, 2020, 01:56:38 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 04:28:44 AM by Meclazine »

Here is a new graph for tomorrow so you can see how the data is calculated. Let us say tomorrow, we get 23,000 'New Cases' in the USA.

The plots I am presenting are 'Active Cases', not New Cases. To calculate this figure, one needs an estimate of Recoveries which is consistent. But most countries have failed, for differing reasons, to report recoveries. The UK, not at all.

It's like a chemical reaction. One side of the equation must match the other side. Those coming into the diagnosis routine must either recover or succumb to the virus.

So that 'Recovered' figure is around 380,000 assuming that all of the cases on April 8 have either recovered or died. 2 weeks after a diagnosis after 5-14 days of early infection is long enough to expect an outcome. And it averages out anyway if you think your way through the logic.

But the USA has only reported 85,000 recoveries. So we need to add 295,000 to the calculation to arrive at 'Active Cases'. So the 'Active Cases' total comes down.

The best part of this type of analysis is that it can be used as a predictive guide into the future.

USA 23 April - Active Cases (Prediction)
Predicted peak of Active Cases: 482,646 – April 20
Recoveries added to curve – 295,000

This provides a much smoother curve suitable for interpretation.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #461 on: April 23, 2020, 03:29:05 AM »

He hires the best people.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #462 on: April 23, 2020, 04:16:41 AM »

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #463 on: April 23, 2020, 04:29:59 AM »

Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #464 on: April 23, 2020, 04:33:59 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 04:40:52 AM by Meclazine »

This is an unnecessary smear against the high standing US Labradoodle Breeding community, viewed around the global as the premier source of Labradoodles.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/special-report-former-labradoodle-breeder-tapped-to-lead-u.s.-pandemic-task-force-2020-04

"Before joining the Trump Administration in January 2018, Harrison’s official HHS biography says, he “ran a small business in Texas.” The biography does not disclose the name or nature of that business, but his personal financial disclosure forms show that from 2012 until 2018 he ran a company called Dallas Labradoodles.

The company sells Australian Labradoodles, a breed that is a cross between a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle. He sold it in April 2018, his financial disclosure form said. HHS emailed Reuters that the sales price was $225,000."

What? No Aussie Labradoodles in my neighbourhood.
Omega21

« Reply #465 on: April 23, 2020, 05:53:11 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 05:57:55 AM by Omega21 »

Scientists investigate possible positive effects of nicotine. It is being assumed that nicotine somehow (clinging onto the receptors the virus needs) has a positive shielding effect against the virus.  

https://m.oe24.at/coronavirus/Coronavirus-Wissenschafter-vermuten-positive-Wirkung-von-Nikotin/427320386

Obviously testing will be done with patches, not cigarettes.

The reason for the theory is that so far smokers have 80% lower infection rates than the General population.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #466 on: April 23, 2020, 06:50:53 AM »

CNBC reporting this morning that the weekly unemployment report (due at 0830 EST this morning) will yield some 4.3 million new unemployment claims during the week ending April-18th. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/another-4point3-million-workers-expected-to-have-filed-unemployment-claims.html

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #467 on: April 23, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »

CNBC reporting this morning that the weekly unemployment report (due at 0830 EST this morning) will yield some 4.3 million new unemployment claims during the week ending April-18th. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/another-4point3-million-workers-expected-to-have-filed-unemployment-claims.html

This is more in line of what I was expecting when we elected someone to be president whose last job was firing people on national TV.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #468 on: April 23, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #469 on: April 23, 2020, 07:34:04 AM »

26 million jobs lost in 1 month. I hope saving a few centenarians were worth it. Reopen the US economy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #470 on: April 23, 2020, 07:37:48 AM »

26 million jobs lost in 1 month. I hope saving a few centenarians were worth it.

Silence sociopath.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #471 on: April 23, 2020, 07:38:35 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #472 on: April 23, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »

Well, they were looking for someone experienced with labs...
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #473 on: April 23, 2020, 07:43:30 AM »

Standing by for the inevitable Washington Post story about how Trump tried to tamper with or delay the Department of Labor's monthly jobs report. Because we all know that is going to happen.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #474 on: April 23, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies