What are gas prices where you're at? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:40:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are gas prices where you're at? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are gas prices where you're at?  (Read 70090 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: May 16, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »

Around 25-26 baht per litre.  SO... that's maybe 75 cents per litre.. so.. a liter is .264 US gallons.. so I'm paying about $2.84/gallon.

It costs me about two dollars to fill up the motorbike.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:28 AM »

LOL, and you american gas gripers are complaining about your 3$ prices ... just laughable Tongue

In fairness, TB, America is so arranged economically and architecturally that you have millions of people working for $8/hour driving an hour to work every day.  You can see the inherent difficulties this presents.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:20:19 AM »

LOL, and you american gas gripers are complaining about your 3$ prices ... just laughable Tongue

In fairness, TB, America is so arranged economically and architecturally that you have millions of people working for $8/hour driving an hour to work every day ...

...with their gas guzzling cars.

Nah, that's not really all that relevant.  Sure, some people drive SUVs or trucks, which is stupid, but most cars in the US are reasonably fuel efficient. My car back home was a 15 year old rather big car, and it got 28 miles to the gallon on the highway.  You can pick up these things for like $2,500:

The fact is it is far more economical to buy a used car for a couple thousand bucks that gets 28 MPG than a $25,000 new one that gets 45 mpg.  And besides, obviously the larger older car is more comfortable and safer at the same time.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's silly.  How is a person who makes $8 an hour even supposed to afford buying the car in the first place?  These people are mostly riding round in cars they found in barns, stole, or borrowed from their grandparents.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 05:31:23 AM »

I don't Know and as I don't have a car or a driver's license I don't really care - but I can assure you the price of petrol is much higher over here than in the United States.

And of course, again, it doesn't matter as much to you Euros is your countries are smaller and you drive a LOT less then we do. The sheer size of our states, let alone our nation is so large that driving is pretty much mandatory to survive/make a living the only way to really save on fuel by using public transport is to live in a major city. So really, when it comes down to it, I'd think comparing Europe to the USA in gas usage/driving needs is like comparing apples to oranges.

Just because the country is large doesn't mean people can't live in concentrated urbanizations.  The reason for US fuel wastage is bad public policy (or rather public policy that prioritizes other values than economic efficiency), not the physical size of the country.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »

I don't Know and as I don't have a car or a driver's license I don't really care - but I can assure you the price of petrol is much higher over here than in the United States.

And of course, again, it doesn't matter as much to you Euros is your countries are smaller and you drive a LOT less then we do. The sheer size of our states, let alone our nation is so large that driving is pretty much mandatory to survive/make a living the only way to really save on fuel by using public transport is to live in a major city. So really, when it comes down to it, I'd think comparing Europe to the USA in gas usage/driving needs is like comparing apples to oranges.

Just because the country is large doesn't mean people can't live in concentrated urbanizations.  The reason for US fuel wastage is bad public policy (or rather public policy that prioritizes other values than economic efficiency), not the physical size of the country.

Not everyone in the US can/wants to live in an urban area. I doubt many Euros either here on this board on in general drive 15+ miles to work, one way, on a daily basis.

States, the point is there is nothing about the US that makes living absurdly far away from everything inevitable.  Most European countries are made up of mostly empty space, just like the Bad Place.   However public policy in the US has made it very difficult to live in urban areas, creating a major economic problem.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:11:28 AM »

jfern, I fear the brash confidence most people have that 'alternative fuels' are really available and capable of sustaining the present standard of living is unwarranted and excessively optimistic. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »

Free, as always.  But the company pays around $3.50/gallon. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »

I think its about 40-41 baht per liter for real fuel (that is, actual gasoline not containing the vile contaminant alcohol).  I think its only around 35 baht for a liter of that gasohol crap.

I guess that translates to around $5/gallon for real gas and around $4.32 for the crap.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »

$1.18 / litre or $3.12 / gallon (the exchange rate is about par these days)

Wait, how many liters in a gallon?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 04:58:10 AM »

Yeah, I know.  My point was I think this Hatman has calculated wrongly:

$1.18 / litre or $3.12 / gallon (the exchange rate is about par these days)
Wait, how many liters in a gallon?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think its about 40-41 baht per liter for real fuel (that is, actual gasoline not containing the vile contaminant alcohol).  I think its only around 35 baht for a liter of that gasohol crap.

I guess that translates to around $5/gallon for real gas and around $4.32 for the crap.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »

I didn't think alcohol-mixed gas was all that common outside agricultural regions of the US. We don't even have much of that up here. You certainly wouldn't like driving through South Dakota or Iowa though.

Oh yes.  Back in Missouri as well I don't think there is any real gas anymore - just gasohol.   As far as I know real gas is rare in the US now - maybe only Oklahoma still has it.  Are you sure you can get non-gasohol in Minnesota?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies