Christie not invited to CPAC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:38:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie not invited to CPAC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Christie not invited to CPAC  (Read 14329 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »

Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »

But he will be invited to a CPAP convention, so all is well.

I was drinking milk when I read that. I hate you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »

I was drinking milk when I read that. I hate you.

Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »

CPAP?  What is that?  Something about pap smears?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »

Fats use it to breathe when they sleep.

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

This is what I don't get about conservative leadership. You have a guy who is at least fairly conservative in Christie, who has a much better chance to win than most of the people they invite to this thing, and they just turn him down. Do they want Hillary to get a 40+ state victory in 2016? Because that's exactly what will happen with some of these people. Rand Paul? Rick freaking Santorum? Jindal? I don't mind Paul or Jindal but they have absolutely zero chance at the presidency. Santorum is just an incompetent buffoon. I'm not saying it has to be Christie, I would actually prefer Martinez or Rice, but these ultra conservative types don't like them either because they aren't conservative enough for them. What a joke.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »

This is what I don't get about conservative leadership. You have a guy who is at least fairly conservative in Christie, who has a much better chance to win than most of the people they invite to this thing, and they just turn him down. Do they want Hillary to get a 40+ state victory in 2016? Because that's exactly what will happen with some of these people. Rand Paul? Rick freaking Santorum? Jindal? I don't mind Paul or Jindal but they have absolutely zero chance at the presidency. Santorum is just an incompetent buffoon. I'm not saying it has to be Christie, I would actually prefer Martinez or Rice, but these ultra conservative types don't like them either because they aren't conservative enough for them. What a joke.

Like I said in another thread.  I had a longtime Republican tell me that she refused to hang up her picture with Christie after he praised Obama about Sandy.  And this isn't a Tea Partier... she's been in party politics for years.  It's just amazing how much obstructionism the party is willing to go with... and for no point at all.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »

What a disaster the Republican leadership is.

CPAC has nothing to do with Republican leadership.  That being said, Christie certainly isn't a conservative, but if I were in the ACU, I'd have invited him.  Sadly, Al Cardenas hasn't been as good of a chair for ACU as David Keene was.  David Keene allowed GOProud to be a sponsor.  Cardenas came in and put a stop to that.  So this isn't all that surprising.

Those in charge are still "leaders" in the party. You don't have to be McConnell/Boehner/Priebus/etc. to hold influence; it's a broad term.

I mean, is Romney a conservative? It's a Republican event, and they should be inviting one of their frontrunners (and their strongest horse in a general election at the moment). Refusing Christie a spot plays a whole lot worse optically than biting the bullet and inviting a "moderate" (and the fact that CC is considered moderate these days says all that's need to be said about where the GOP is on the spectrum right now).

Honestly, it's not a "Republican event".  I'm willing to bet that if you ask most Republicans who Al Cardenas and David Keene are, they wouldn't have a clue.  Many/most people there are probably Republicans, but that doesn't make it a Republican event any more than an NRA meeting is a Republican event.

Those are not analogous.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »

What a disaster the Republican leadership is.

CPAC has nothing to do with Republican leadership.  That being said, Christie certainly isn't a conservative, but if I were in the ACU, I'd have invited him.  Sadly, Al Cardenas hasn't been as good of a chair for ACU as David Keene was.  David Keene allowed GOProud to be a sponsor.  Cardenas came in and put a stop to that.  So this isn't all that surprising.

Those in charge are still "leaders" in the party. You don't have to be McConnell/Boehner/Priebus/etc. to hold influence; it's a broad term.

I mean, is Romney a conservative? It's a Republican event, and they should be inviting one of their frontrunners (and their strongest horse in a general election at the moment). Refusing Christie a spot plays a whole lot worse optically than biting the bullet and inviting a "moderate" (and the fact that CC is considered moderate these days says all that's need to be said about where the GOP is on the spectrum right now).

Honestly, it's not a "Republican event".  I'm willing to bet that if you ask most Republicans who Al Cardenas and David Keene are, they wouldn't have a clue.  Many/most people there are probably Republicans, but that doesn't make it a Republican event any more than an NRA meeting is a Republican event.

Those are not analogous.

Fine - it's like calling a Tea Party meeting a "Republican event".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »

Fats use it to breathe when they sleep.

That's hilarious!  Thanks, learn something new every day.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »

Like I said in another thread.  I had a longtime Republican tell me that she refused to hang up her picture with Christie after he praised Obama about Sandy.  And this isn't a Tea Partier... she's been in party politics for years.  It's just amazing how much obstructionism the party is willing to go with... and for no point at all.
That's funny, because my dad is a tea party Republican, who can't stand Obama, and he still loves Christie, and thinks he was right to praise him in that situation. But yeah, I feel like Republicans' biggest problem, is, at times, other Republicans. I feel like some just see Christie hugging Obama, and they automatically out him, as a RINO, without even looking at any of his positions. The die hard cons need to realize that just because someone doesn't hate Obama, it doesn't make them a fraud.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »

Oh, CPAC. You are so stupid, but as long as we can keep Christie against the GOP, Im cool with that
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »

We all know how this ends...

Christie declares candidacy.

Conservatives freak out and try in vain to find a suitable alternative.

Like ten conservatives declare candidacy.

Conservative candidates proceed to attack each other. Christie looks bemused.

Christie wins most of the early primaries with pluralities because the conservative vote is split among so many candidates.

Conservative candidates run out of money and drop out.

Conservative pundits try to make themselves feel better and keep telling themselves that Christie is the best hope they have of beating Hillary.

I have a feeling this is exactly what will happen. The only thing that can stop Christie is if somehow the movement conservative wing can quickly coalesce behind a single candidate.  Rubio seemed like a possibility but then he sold out to the GOP establishment on immigration reform. Bob McDonnell was a possibility but he has been disqualified for raising taxes.  Maybe Jindal although he just is so uninspiring.

Could it be that Santorum once again becomes the weak conservative choice because the others fail the purity tests?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »

Christie engaged in massive government spending last year. It's natural for many to be irritated.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »

From NRO
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/341626/no-cpac-invite-christie-because-limited-future-republican-party-eliana-johnson
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 08:53:04 PM »

My point exactly.  This isn't a "Republican event".  It's a conservative event.  And Christie simply isn't a conservative.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »

And again... what is Romney?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »

A lot more conservative than Christie.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »

Are we talking about Romney the politician or Romney the post-primary caricature? Romney was a pro-choice Rockefeller Republican that pushed Obamacare's prototype all within the last decade.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »

Are we talking about Romney the governor, or Romney the post-primary caricature? Romney was a pro-choice Rockefeller Republican and pushing Obamacare's prototype all within the last decade.

We're talking about the Romney who spoke at CPAC.  Whether or not you believe he was genuine, that Romney was more conservative than Christie.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »

This is silly and you know it. No one on the right considers Romney a conservative. Would Karl Marx be allowed onstage as long as he read verbatim from one of Reagan's speeches?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »

This is silly and you know it. No one on the right considers Romney a conservative. Would Karl Marx be allowed onstage as long as he read verbatim from one of Reagan's speeches?

Quite a few people believe that Romney's position changes were legitimate.  Look - I'm all in favor of making the party more moderate - I'd like to see Christie speak there.  But the fact is that he is more moderate than Romney.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »

Quite a few people believe that Romney's position changes were legitimate.  Look - I'm all in favor of making the party more moderate - I'd like to see Christie speak there.  But the fact is that he is more moderate than Romney.

No he's not and you know it. Look at his record. He vetoed a minimum-wage increase. He's clashed with public-sector unions. He's cut the budget in REAL DOLLARS. This man is a conservative. He's just not crazy.He doesn't say outrageously untrue things. To put it bluntly, he's not stupid like so-called "conservatives" like Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, and Allen West.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 10:16:51 PM »

No he's not and you know it. Look at his record. He vetoed a minimum-wage increase. He's clashed with public-sector unions. He's cut the budget in REAL DOLLARS. This man is a conservative. He's just not crazy.He doesn't say outrageously untrue things. To put it bluntly, he's not stupid like so-called "conservatives" like Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, and Allen West.

No, he hasn't, unless you are stupid and believe his nonsense accounting.

His budgets are among the highest in NJ history.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »

No, he hasn't, unless you are stupid and believe his nonsense accounting.

His budgets are among the highest in NJ history.

Budgets tend to grow as populations and inflation does. But for humor's sake, could you enlighten us on what exactly Christie has spent too much on?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies