Volkswagen workers in Tennessee vote to join UAW (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:24:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Volkswagen workers in Tennessee vote to join UAW (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Volkswagen workers in Tennessee vote to join UAW  (Read 1090 times)
Yoda
United States

« on: April 20, 2024, 01:15:50 AM »

Nice!!! All the more impressive considering the GOP governor and Volkswagen management were working together to defeat the union drive. The UAW is on an absolute roll.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 12:59:15 AM »

People who cheer for unions to fail are bad people

56% of Americans want unions to have the same or less influence than they do now.

Ok and? 56% of respondents are bad people.

People who cheer for unions to fail are bad people

56% of Americans want unions to have the same or less influence than they do now.

I said what I said, do I need to say it again slower?

Increasingly, our friends on the left are realizing their views are fringe, and rely primarily on coercing people into accepting institutions such as unions that they do not want. My hope is that this will lead them to reject the idea that, say, workers at a car plant have an obligation to join unions, and to embrace the ideals of personal liberty and government non-interference in private affairs, but I worry that it will instead lead them to anti-democratic extremism.

How is the UAW, a private organization whose bargaining members voted to join (overwhelmingly), negotiating with VW, a private corporation having anything to do with “government interference?”

Great question. As I mentioned above, our federal government has passed dozens of laws favoring unions in the workplace. While ideally, there would be total freedom for employer and employee to transact, these laws force employers to negotiate with unions, create special pathways for unions to force workers to join them (unless states pass right to work laws), and even require that employers not fire striking workers (people who literally aren't doing their jobs). As a result, it has become so onerous for employers to resist unions that many are essentially forced to give in. The federal government is putting a thumb on the scales for the UAW etc, so to speak. If the UAW was really a private organization that VW could choose to negotiate with, not negotiate with, etc as it pleased (and vice versa) I would have no problem with it. But it's not -- it is an extension of the state, and proudly so.

This is so beyond stupid I stopped reading there. Can't even imagine how uninformed one has to be to believe that US employment law actually favors unions over the shareholder/corporate board class lmao.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies