Volkswagen workers in Tennessee vote to join UAW
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:31:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Volkswagen workers in Tennessee vote to join UAW
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Volkswagen workers in Tennessee vote to join UAW  (Read 1079 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2024, 05:45:24 PM »

Just for reference only 10% of Americans are apart of a union, but sure they’re the ones with all the power in economic policy…

I never said the unions had all the power in economic policy. I said they had undue power created by government rules and laws deliberately favoring them.

That's to prevent worker uprisings, starvation, poverty, and mass shootings.

Corporations actually are not all that humane and giving if left to their own devices as seen in the late 19th century.

Weird. Here in North Carolina we have never had large unions, but we've also never had worker uprisings or mass starvation. We have had poverty, and mass shootings, but I'm not particularly sure unions are connected to avoiding those things, either. And the Gilded Age was a time of great economic prosperity and growth.

Yep. That's why NC is repeatedly ranked near the bottom of worker protections, frequently dead last, although they did pass MS last year.

https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/north-carolina-is-worst-in-nation-for-workers-new-report-says/#:~:text=state-mandated%20wage.-,Best%20and%20Worst%20States%20to,Rankings%20according%20to%20Oxfam%20America.&text=Lack%20of%20protections%20for%20workers,protections%2C%20only%20ahead%20of%20Mississippi.

That's bad logic. You're arguing that unions are good because they produce worker protections, but almost everyone who dislikes unions dislikes laws mandating working conditions too, so your argument only appeals to those who already agree with you.

Hmm. And you don't think "disliking unions" and "disliking laws mandating working conditions" have any correlation whatsoever in those states noted for bad worker protections?

Nice try, though.

You're still missing the point. Laws mandating worker conditions and legal worker protections are the same thing, lol. I don't care that North Carolina has a bad ranking on that list: if anything I cherish it, as a symbol of economic freedom. And that would similarly be the response of almost all opponents of unions, so your point isn't responsive to the core argument.

Not missing the point. I understand you think that. Although even most rank-and-file Republican voters who work would not agree with wanting NO worker protections. They just happen to take the basic ones for granted these days.

Additionally, another poster said you don't work/don't support yourself. If true, you're working from a theoretical framework, and I'm going to take your thoughts on the matter with a grain of salt.

1. Okay. But that's non-responsive to the argument I'm making. Your point still doesn't prove that not having unions as bad.

2. I've never doxxed myself and I have no intention of doing so. I have worked before, like any normal person. I am currently a college student.
AlterEgo

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2024, 06:22:03 PM »

1. Okay. But that's non-responsive to the argument I'm making. Your point still doesn't prove that not having unions as bad.

2. I've never doxxed myself and I have no intention of doing so. I have worked before, like any normal person. I am currently a college student.

1. I'm not going to spend a lot of time debating you on it; I'm not going to change your terrible stance. Was mostly just showing others, who likely aren't the least bit surprised that the bottom of the workers' protection list is filled with Southern states, how horrid NC in particular is.

2. Wouldn't call sharing some vague personal details "doxxing" yourself, but ok. Point is, you just really don't have the experience here to have a truly informed worldview on this. I used to make the same arguments back when I was a young pup too. Then you get out in the real world.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2024, 01:56:40 AM »

People who cheer for unions to fail are bad people

56% of Americans want unions to have the same or less influence than they do now.

Ok and? 56% of respondents are bad people.

56% of Americans want unions to have the same or less influence than they do now.

I said what I said, do I need to say it again slower?

Increasingly, our friends on the left are realizing their views are fringe, and rely primarily on coercing people into accepting institutions such as unions that they do not want. My hope is that this will lead them to reject the idea that, say, workers at a car plant have an obligation to join unions, and to embrace the ideals of personal liberty and government non-interference in private affairs, but I worry that it will instead lead them to anti-democratic extremism.
Personal liberty for the boss but not the worker. Non-interference in private affairs unless it comes from your employer dictating every aspect of production. Very cool system we have indeed
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2024, 01:57:18 AM »

Shawn Fain is an American hero
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2024, 02:00:30 AM »

Talk about cherry picking and spin. The poll from last year you sight shows only 26% of the public shares your view, while the number who want labor power increased is the highest since they began the question in 1999.

How is this a spin? Someone said that anyone who wanted to fail in their mission of expanding unionization was a bad person. I pointed out that 56% of Americans don't want unions to expand. Sure, some want to shrink unions, others want to keep the influence constant, but that's a relatively minor difference.
Americans are very lacking in class consciousness. I don't think it makes them a bad person but it does show there's a lot of room to grow.

From my personal experiences a lot of people don't even really know what a union is or does. Oftentimes, if they do, their impression is of bureaucratic unions who don't get much done for their members. But the new UAW is re-igniting the tradition of radical labor unionism in this country that hasn't been a strong force for many years. The old school collaborationist UAW tried to organize plants in the south and they weren't successful because they didn't truly have it in them.

Once people see that, they're inspired. They know that someone is finally on their side in giving them greater control over their own livelihoods.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2024, 03:18:37 AM »

Don’t German companies prefer to work with unions?

The interaction between employers and unions is much more institutionalized in Germany than in other countries as unions are - despite declining membership - historically strong in Germany for good reasons. That doesn't necessarily translate to German companies caring about working conditions in other countries - one might just think of VW's activities in Xinjiang - but VW is indeed heavily unionised in Germany and that hasn't exactly hurt the company. Other things do, but not that.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2024, 07:27:10 AM »

Are your parents paying for your tuition?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2024, 08:31:29 AM »

Ok and? 56% of respondents are bad people.

I said what I said, do I need to say it again slower?

Increasingly, our friends on the left are realizing their views are fringe, and rely primarily on coercing people into accepting institutions such as unions that they do not want. My hope is that this will lead them to reject the idea that, say, workers at a car plant have an obligation to join unions, and to embrace the ideals of personal liberty and government non-interference in private affairs, but I worry that it will instead lead them to anti-democratic extremism.
Personal liberty for the boss but not the worker. Non-interference in private affairs unless it comes from your employer dictating every aspect of production. Very cool system we have indeed

If your boss is forcing you to work against your will, then that is slavery, and I am rather surprised that they have been so generous as to let you post on Atlas.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2024, 08:48:50 AM »

If your boss is forcing you to work against your will, then that is slavery.
You are so close to getting it.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2024, 09:25:13 AM »

Always a great sign to see labor thrieving in the red states. To have a burgeoning labor movement we need to target the states most vulnerable to anti-worker rhetoric, which makes this a triumph victory. There will be no true solidarity with labor in America until all of the right to work states abandoned such practices to become friendly to the working person.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies