Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:59:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence  (Read 3094 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 17, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

Chelsea will still be facing a life sentence; who is going to give her a job?
Lots of leftwing organizations.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »

I don't agree with everything Chelsea Manning did, I don't see her as a hero... but I also don't see her as some terrible person either. I could see jailtime, but not more than 5-10 years, and from reports I read she received poor treatment at least initially.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »

OK seriously, you guys rag on Assange for the Wikileaks for the Democratic Convention but Obama's doing a great thing all of a sudden?

I'm not sure that I like this pardon for the same reason that I don't like Assange leaking the information about the Clinton emails. Manning, Snowden, and Assange all leaked classified information to influence the United States' policy. How do you with a straight face say "OK, Assange did a bad thing but not Manning?"

Both the Left and the Right have exhibited behavior in this thread that are directly related to the person committing the action. Some of the Righties in this thread have probably said Assange was doing the right thing in leaking #PodestaEmails and are now blithely denouncing Manning's pardon. Ditto the Left screaming about Assange over the summer and now praising the pardon.

Either find a standard that isn't partisan or own up that you like or hate x and y because of the party label of the President or political actor doing the act.
Snowden and Assange basically fled. Manning, I'm willing to show her more leniency because she's served about seven years and didn't flee like a coward.

My problem is that virtually no lib in this thread is going "OK, she did the wrong thing." And nobody is saying "OK, if Julian Assange served 7 years in prison, I want President x to pardon him." It's definitely skewed based on the perception of the political allegiance of that actor.

Hello?

I don't agree with everything Chelsea Manning did, I don't see her as a hero... but I also don't see her as some terrible person either. I could see jailtime, but not more than 5-10 years, and from reports I read she received poor treatment at least initially.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies