Should the monitoring of mosques be part of U.S. security activities? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:59:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the monitoring of mosques be part of U.S. security activities? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should the monitoring of mosques be part of U.S. security activities?  (Read 1688 times)
SillyAmerican
United States

« on: June 15, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Per a discussion on The Five (June 14th), Dr. Sebatian Gorka, author of "Defeating Jihad", makes the following comments:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Some argue that recognizing Islamic terrorism as coming from within the Muslim community is somehow inappropriate. I do not understand why that is. If you disagree with Dr. Gorka's comments, please explain why you do...
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:59:49 AM »

If there's probable cause and a warrant, sure--just like there should be anywhere.  But no, warrantless mass surveillance of mosques just because they're mosques would be a significantly unconstitutional overreach.

Seems like a reasonable statement.

It is, with the one caveat that sending in informants doesn't require a warrant generally. But the idea of widespread monitoring of mosques is a bad idea.

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is advocating indiscriminate, widespread monitoring of mosques, which is both impractical and unnecessary. No, the FBI knows the dozen or so most problematic mosques in the country.

Example: Masjed As-Saber, Oregon's largest mosque. Why the interest? Because of the following timeline:

The top 10 or 12 problematic mosques should probably be monitored, given that, as Dr. Gorka mentions, radicalization takes place via either the internet or an imam within a problem mosque. As I say, I'm fairly sure we know which of the mosques is being used to radicalize members; we don't need to monitor all mosques in order to greatly improve our security situation vis-a-vis Islamic radicals.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »

Some argue that recognizing Islamic terrorism as coming from within the Muslim community is somehow inappropriate.

Source please.

As far as I know law enforcement follows leads no matter where they take them.  And I'm glad they don't monitor every mosque simply because it is a mosque.  That would be a low yield waste of tax dollars and divert resources from where they are needed.

Most of the rapists in this country are Christian white men.  Should the FBI monitor all Christian white men?

A number of sources exist; here's one article related directly to the question of monitoring mosques (the emboldened text highlight is me):

SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:07:38 AM »

Should American mosques be monitored? I think the answer to that is: some of them should, but most shouldn't. So more or less that the American government do today. It's rather obvious that in this case increased monitoring of mosques wouldn't have stopped the attack. This guy's network was under observation, but it's really hard to discover a Lone Wolf even if his general network is under observation.

A little off track, but one thing that bothers me are reports that multiple gun stores denied the sale of a gun to the Orlando shooter, for reasons of their own determination. Is there any way for the FBI to track such denials? I assume that if four or five stores deny the selling of a gun to someone, that the FBI might be interested in speaking with that someone. Could having access to such information have prevented these murders? And would a system to track such information be practical?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies