Comedy Goldmine XI: The Atlas Forum Demilitarized Zone (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:01:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Comedy Goldmine XI: The Atlas Forum Demilitarized Zone (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comedy Goldmine XI: The Atlas Forum Demilitarized Zone  (Read 193251 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: May 01, 2009, 05:11:16 AM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 03:59:50 AM »

Cuba was very much a USSR satelite.  But yes the others were in the Chinese orbit more than anything.  I was thinking of Europe, like Tito.  And Daniel above has answered my question.  I did not know about Albania.  I think its a country people often forget about.

This article was interesting. I clipped it from Conservapedia...

During the Second World War, Albania was occupied first by Italy (1939-43) and then by Germany (1943-44). After the war, Communist Party leader Enver Hoxha, through a combination of ruthlessness and strategic alliances, managed to preserve Albania's territorial integrity during the next 40 years, but exacted a terrible price from the population, which was subjected to purges, shortages, repression of civil and political rights, a total ban on religious observance, and increased isolation. Albania adhered to a strict Stalinist philosophy, eventually withdrawing from the Warsaw Pact in 1968 and alienating its final remaining ally, China, in 1978.
It is interesting that they started out in the Soviet grip but ended up going with China.  That seems really weird that China would have influence in a European country but it is very interesting.  Well, its a good thing they are not ANY kind of communist any more.

Post of the Year Runner-Up.

It isn't that funny, since the conservapedia article in this case seems mostly correct. The fatty post on the other hand, is really funny.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »

It is hard for me to talk about her personally (I've never met her), but the decisions of hers that I have read strike me as unimpressive.

Barring something weird that we don't know, she is certainly qualified for the position of SC justice.  I just wouldn't expect anything magnificent out of her (in terms of USSC) and the "liberals" better hope that the Rosen piece about her being a bullier is not true, as that is undoubtedly something that would not work well with Kennedy.

If there was a prize for ''Most Condescending Post of the Year'', that would be the early frontrunner.

If there was an award for "Biggest f****t" on this board, you might win too and I'd even consider that quite impressive.

Condescending AND a homophobe.
It keeps getting better.

I'm willing to bet you probably pee on your neighbor's lawn in the middle of the night while she's sleeping too.

Does she only get angry when you miss and hit her pet Chihuahua instead?

I don't understand what the poet means but the optics are indeed funny.

Next time you lose an argument, don't post it in the comedy goldmine to save face.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »

Next time you lose an argument, don't post it in the comedy goldmine to save face.

Uh, Sam had to resort to calling somebody a f****t again, so I think you've reached the wrong conclusion about who 'lost'.

Calling someone condescending without offering an argument loses you the argument even if you get a slur back in exchange. And my point was rather that it's poor taste to not respond to someone's point and instead post it as a joke.

And, no, px75, you're not supposed to feel intimidated. You're supposed to quit the trolling and grow up.

(and the f****t stuff isn't relevant. I don't endorse that, but it wasn't really the point here anyway)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »

Uh, Sam had to resort to calling somebody a f****t again, so I think you've reached the wrong conclusion about who 'lost'.

Calling someone condescending without offering an argument loses you the argument even if you get a slur back in exchange. And my point was rather that it's poor taste to not respond to someone's point and instead post it as a joke.

And, no, px75, you're not supposed to feel intimidated. You're supposed to quit the trolling and grow up.

(and the f****t stuff isn't relevant. I don't endorse that, but it wasn't really the point here anyway)

I'm sorry to say that, but the last sentence shows that if there is anyone who missed the point, that's you.

And as the other folks mentioned, calling Sam condescending isn't exactly a once-in-a-lifetime event.

The comedy goldmine is not supposed to be a way of carrying your personal grudges forward. If you want to debate Sam on whatever do it in the thread you were in. Don't clutter up this thread with "LOL look how stupidly he responded to my arguments"

I might have given you the benefit of the doubt if you hadn't acted like such a confrontational jerk elsewhere.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 04:06:17 AM »

It is hard for me to talk about her personally (I've never met her), but the decisions of hers that I have read strike me as unimpressive.

Barring something weird that we don't know, she is certainly qualified for the position of SC justice.  I just wouldn't expect anything magnificent out of her (in terms of USSC) and the "liberals" better hope that the Rosen piece about her being a bullier is not true, as that is undoubtedly something that would not work well with Kennedy.

If there was a prize for ''Most Condescending Post of the Year'', that would be the early frontrunner.

If there was an award for "Biggest f****t" on this board, you might win too and I'd even consider that quite impressive.

Hey, be careful my friend. I posted the same thing a couple of pages back and was reprimanded by Gustaf.

I see you didn't get my point.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »

That you consider calling someone a f****t a legitimate argument?

Posting someone's reply to one's own post in an argument is poor form, regardless of what else is said in the posts. I didn't have any objection to someone else posting it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:56:26 AM »

Flyers and BushOK are gonna become fast friends.  I can already tell.

I don't get it. Is Flyers doing some kind of "asshole pretending to be sympathetic while really being pathetic"-routine as a joke of some kind or is he really doing it and thinking that it's not obvious? Strange, either way.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:20:03 AM »

Self-parody?

Considering how many German Americans we have and how few of our Presidents have been German Americans, I think we're due for a string of 4 or 5 of them.

We've had a Kenyan born president, so hey, why not?

What do you mean? It seems like a pretty natural response...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:23:39 PM »

Self-parody?

Considering how many German Americans we have and how few of our Presidents have been German Americans, I think we're due for a string of 4 or 5 of them.

We've had a Kenyan born president, so hey, why not?

What do you mean? It seems like a pretty natural response...

Kenyan born? It's Birther crap.

Click for context.

Huh? The question was how likely it is to have a president with German ancestry, given how many have that in the US. To point out that the current president has Kenyan ancestry, which he has, given how few people in the US has Kenyan ancestry, is a pretty natural thing to say, to my ears.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

The quote was Kenyan born not Kenyan ancestry.

What does Kenyan-born mean then? The whole "Obama wasn't born as an American"-thing? I didn't think that was the exclusive usage of the term, but then it might be my mistake I guess.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies