Do you believe in evolution? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:48:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you believe in evolution? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Do you believe in evolution?  (Read 13728 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: February 24, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »

No, not really.

It is not really a question of belief.

I do hold however that it is the most likeliest explanation of those offered so far.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:45:11 AM »

Yes, I think evolution describes the process of how human beings eventually got here pretty well. 

But, if somebody ever tells the other primates about evolution, they're going to be ashamed, disappointed and pissed.

"Evolution" in this sense is not normative. It does not state that Humans are superior to any other creature. That is a common popular misconception but rating species hierarchially (in terms of "better" or "worse") is something of no scientific validity whatsoever. And it would be very wrong to see evolution as teleological process which led inexorabily to us (that is just theology/eschatology under a scientific guise).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:03:27 AM »

I'll add that I can not believe in any thought system which holds that the nature of the universe or of life is by nature anthrocentric. Anthropomorphizing the world around us is pretty much an inevitable part of being human but tells us nothing about the world only ourselves.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »

I'll add that I can not believe in any thought system which holds that the nature of the universe or of life is by nature anthrocentric. Anthropomorphizing the world around us is pretty much an inevitable part of being human but tells us nothing about the world only ourselves.

It's an ancient view but they were coming to terms the same as we are today. Think of horses, they may think the universe is horsecentric. The same with ants.

Yes but then would not the horses and ants have different Gods? And how are we to Judge whether the "Horse God" or the "Human God" is more true (especially when considering how many Gods humans have... Ants may have millions given how much of them there are)?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »

It's an ancient view but they were coming to terms the same as we are today. Think of horses, they may think the universe is horsecentric. The same with ants.

Yes but then would not the horses and ants have different Gods? And how are we to Judge whether the "Horse God" or the "Human God" is more true (especially when considering how many Gods humans have... Ants may have millions given how much of them there are)?

I have no way of knowing if horses have gods, but if horses could draw the gods what would they draw? Perhaps it's natural to take the view that one's species is revolved around. This is a good discussion.

You are not making sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies