Mouthwash (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:47:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Mouthwash (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Before Brushing
After Brushing
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Mouthwash  (Read 1686 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »

What's 'mouthwash'? Is it like the cider vinegar/honey traditional cure-all that I have most mornings?

No, it's ethanol or isopropyl alcohol.  The vinegar and honey just exacerbate the decay problem.

I can go either way, and in any case I prefer cognac, and on the theory that I consume enough on a daily basis to kill germs I don't go in for the commercial mouthwashes, but for my son I always make him rinse afterward.  I also make sure he spits all of it it out completely after he rinses, because I don't want him to become a booze fiend like me.  Anything that kills germs will also kill humans, in large enough quantities, as I'm sure I'll find out some day when my liver fails.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:37:22 PM »

The vinegar and honey just exacerbate the decay problem.

Obviously untrue as my teeth are fine.

obviously.

But seriously there are those who are predisposed to tooth decay.  I think my son may be one of them.  He had eight molars capped with steel at the age of four.  He calls 'em his robot teeth.  We have been taking him to the pediatric dentist twice a year since was three, brushing him often, and we don't let him have too much candy, and he's never had a coca-cola.  But he has had cavities.  I discussed this at length with several dentists.  They're all convinced that some folks can go forty years without brushing and never get a cavity.  Others can brush after every meal and still get them.  It's just the way it is.

I became a fan of mouthwash for my son several years ago.  And of flossing.  Since we added mouthwash, the good kind, with copious amounts of alcohol, and flossing, he hasn't had a cavity. 

Personally, I don't floss or use any mouthwash, open bottles with my teeth, eat plenty of acidic foods, and I don't brush as often as I should.  I also don't like the taste of toothpaste, so I usually have a stiff drink, or coffee if it's early, after I brush.  Not something I'd recommend, but that's how I operate.  And yet, I'm 44 and I've never lost a tooth or had to have braces.  For whatever reasons, the gods have given me straight, strong teeth.

But if I am a child with a cavity, then I know I'm just one of those persons who needs to go that extra yard.  Use mouthwash after brushing.  It's just good practice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies