Teabagger would-be brownshirts announce plans to intimidate voters at the polls (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 05:31:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Teabagger would-be brownshirts announce plans to intimidate voters at the polls (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Teabagger would-be brownshirts announce plans to intimidate voters at the polls  (Read 1188 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: October 27, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »

Not to mention that there are a hell of a lot of actually-fraudulent voter registrations.

3 ballots out of hundreds of thousands in Hennepin County, Minnesota.  This belief that there are all these fraudulent voters is a myth.

The only reason they do this is to suppress turnout for the Democrats.  When people turn out at the polls, Democrats win.. pure and simple.  That's why, for example, the SoS position is such a nasty battle here every election... because the GOP wants to make it very hard to vote in this state while the DFL wants to make it very easy, knowing that while it may increase fraudulent voting, it will raise turnout more than enough to make up for it.  Besides, the people who would be voting fraudulently, here at least, would have to register on election day because, say, if you're a felon and ineligible, your registration is void.

So you fill out a registration form.. well, you need photo ID with proof of residence on it or a utility bill with your address and an already registered voter to vouch for you.

When fraud is roughly 0.08% of all votes in a system that makes voting easy and leads to the nation's best turnout year after year... I think I'll stick with that.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »

Your whining would make more sense if the Democrats did not give themselves paroxyisms every time a photo ID law is proposed anywhere.  If they've implemented that in Minnesota, that's a step in the right direction.
No photo ID needed to vote.  Only to register.  If your'e already registered, you walk in, give them your name.. and they cross it off.

Every time I have registered to vote it was at the polling place on election day.

Having arcane laws of mailing in a registration by a certain date with all this information is ridiculous.  I'd prefer automatic registration upon the voter's 18th birthday myself.

And if you are going to require photo IDs to vote once you're already registered, then every person who registers should get a photo ID from the state that can be used as both a general, non-driving license ID and for voting.  That way, everybody has photo ID... none of this requiring a photo ID because you wanna keep minorities and poor people away from the polls cuz they don't vote your way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies