Coming out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:38:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Coming out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Coming out  (Read 1682 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »

I have kept this to myself for some time, as I generally don't consider this site a place to talk about personal matters. However, I can't really keep this to myself any longer. This has been bringing me down recently and I feel like it's time to just get it off my chest.

The truth is that I have been living a lie. Despite everything I've said on this site about hating modern blockbusters and Marvel films, I, John Dule, like James Cameron's 2009 film Avatar. There, I said it. I thought I had finally gotten past this regrettable part of my personality-- that I was "cured"-- but the recent release of the trailer for Avatar 2: The Way of Water, and the prospect of seeing the sequel I'd been waiting for way back in middle school, has awoken something in me that I'd tried desperately to keep down.

But now I have no choice but to acknowledge this aspect of my identity. I understand that Avatarphobia has grown quite prevalent on the internet over the past decade, and it pains me every time I see it, as I know I have to let it slide without comment. You know what I'm talking about-- the snide comparisons to Dances With Wolves; the repeated observations that despite breaking box office records, the movie had very little cultural impact; the criticisms about the film's shallow message and lack of subtlety; the accusations of unoriginality, ranging from the dialogue to even the font used in the posters; and the tired jokes about the characters being "one-dimensional." It makes me sick. This is perhaps the one blockbuster in the past 15 years that captured the imagination of a wide audience without relying on preestablished media properties and stupid comic books to do so. "Unoriginal," you say? I would argue that we have not seen a more original blockbuster since.

I'm fed up with living in sin. I will no longer keep this part of myself suppressed. And it is time that other Avatar fans came out of the theaters and into the streets.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 06:57:24 PM »

i agree bro whenever i mention avatar my wife and friends think i am talking about the anime from nickeloadean but i am like no i am talking about the blue ppl and they dont get it bcuz apparently nobody likes the blue ppl avatar and i am like but why it was bad ass and had a deep message about like what goes on in outer space probably and stuff
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 07:14:58 PM »

It would have been less embarrassing if you admitted you are gay.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 07:21:23 PM »

Blatant and bigoted Avatarphobia. You are on the wrong side of history.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 01:44:39 AM »

They connect hair with animals to ride them but then they also connect hair with each other to have sex. These people are very open-minded about sexual intercourse with animals. I don't kink-shame people who don't cause harm acting out their fantasies. Better some kid watches Avatar then molests his dog or something.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 02:25:41 AM »

They connect hair with animals to ride them but then they also connect hair with each other to have sex. These people are very open-minded about sexual intercourse with animals. I don't kink-shame people who don't cause harm acting out their fantasies. Better some kid watches Avatar then molests his dog or something.

I think the hair tentacles are a way of creating a non-sexual psychic bond with the other creature. I imagine they still have some kind of genitals for reproductive purposes, but sadly it's PG-13 so we don't know for sure.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 09:56:19 AM »

And I like Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, what's your point?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »

May god have mercy on your soul you degenerate
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 02:58:28 PM »

I gave that movie a standing ovation when I watched it as a teenager. The success of that movie shows that true works of art is sometimes not what you really need, but rather some well done enjoyment. Much of Hollywood, figures like Adam Sandler, take that too far in the opposite direction and create pure garbage. But James Cameroon's Avatar hit the sweet spot of quality and mundanity that the audience really wanted.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 03:14:28 PM »

i agree bro whenever i mention avatar my wife and friends think i am talking about the anime from nickeloadean but i am like no i am talking about the blue ppl and they dont get it bcuz apparently nobody likes the blue ppl avatar and i am like but why it was bad ass and had a deep message about like what goes on in outer space probably and stuff
I prefer the "anime from nickeloadean", but this gave me a good laugh. 5/7.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 03:17:16 PM »

I prefer the "anime from nickeloadean", but this gave me a good laugh. 5/7.

It's always nice to see one's work being appreciated.

12) I started the viral meme called "5/7" by accident. I think it's still on Know Your Meme.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 12:47:43 AM »

Ewww…..
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 02:06:03 AM »

Okay, but Papyrus still sucks.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 11:38:13 AM »

No. It's tribal, yet futuristic.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 11:54:25 AM »

You and Marianne Williamson can solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict together.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 01:05:01 PM »

I'm here, I'm queer, and I loved Avatar.  But no movie comes close to Titanic.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 01:09:00 PM »

And you looked down on me for liking Hugh Grant films.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 02:03:59 PM »

Sonic 2 beats all that nerd s**t any day of the week  Cool
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 02:13:28 PM »

I enjoyed Avatar over Titanic, which is so overrated.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 02:15:34 PM »

A lot of the Avatar hate is overblown.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2022, 03:03:24 PM »

I enjoyed Avatar over Titanic, which is so overrated.
I was 12 or 13 when Titanic came out and at the time there was this Titanic-mania going on, from kids and teens to the adults.  I had that same year a Titanic mousepad, a video game for the PC (it was actually an incredible game), and probably a Titanic-themed puzzle.  I know I had a whole shelf of books... my interest was historical, and I just happen to have found that film extremely well-done.  The costumes, the sets, the accuracy of the construction of the ship were absolutely phenomenal.  I actually think the weakest part of the movie is the love story and I can understand why it's mocked (particularly some of their lines). 

Fun fact: There was actually a Titanic the musical in 1997 that won the Tony Award and the original score to that is damn good.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2022, 03:05:05 PM »

Sonic 2 beats all that nerd s**t any day of the week  Cool

Sonic games were great in the 90s... I had Sega Genesis and the original Sonic and it was a big deal - I only made it to the 2nd part of the 2nd round tho lol.  It was only when I saw a YouTube walkthrough video 20 years later that I even saw what the rest of the game actually looked like.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2022, 04:34:31 PM »

The truth is that I have been living a lie. Despite everything I've said on this site about hating modern blockbusters and Marvel films, I, John Dule, like James Cameron's 2009 film Avatar. There, I said it. I thought I had finally gotten past this regrettable part of my personality-- that I was "cured"-- but the recent release of the trailer for Avatar 2: The Way of Water, and the prospect of seeing the sequel I'd been waiting for way back in middle school, has awoken something in me that I'd tried desperately to keep down.

As Atlas' chief resident Marvel slut, it pains me to inform you that your fandom is just as cringey for me as mine is for you. The film's world-building was gorgeous as a CGI showcase of 2009's 3D technology, but otherwise, its story & characters are weak & forgettable, which is why it lacks the pop-culture impact of something like Titanic before it or Marvel/SW today. That James Cameron has the balls to not only do 4 sequels but to take 13 years to start them is just honestly astounding.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »

As Atlas' chief resident Marvel slut, it pains me to inform you that your fandom is just as cringey for me as mine is for you. The film's world-building was gorgeous as a CGI showcase of 2009's 3D technology, but otherwise, its story & characters are weak & forgettable, which is why it lacks the pop-culture impact of something like Titanic before it or Marvel/SW today. That James Cameron has the balls to not only do 4 sequels but to take 13 years to start them is just honestly astounding.

The difference, of course, is that we at least are self-aware enough to be ashamed. Marvel fans have not experienced true oppression, so they feel no need to show restraint. This is how we get content like this:

Where are the cringe Avatar fans? Simple. There aren't any, because there are no Avatar fans.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2022, 05:49:22 PM »

This, my friend, is why despite our disagreements on some political matters I absolutely refuse to put you on ignore.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies