Where your ancestors were from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:55:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where your ancestors were from?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Where your ancestors were from?  (Read 43260 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2004, 11:31:09 AM »

I thought it was the opposite. Oh well I'm Jewish, reform Judiasm to be specific, which is like the unitarian or presybyterian branch of Judiasm. In other words we are not bound to any beliefs or responsibility, so most of us are non-religious.

Did I mention Adam Sandler belongs to our synagogue, and stops by on a semi-annual basis?

it is by the mother's

Yep, which means I could be a Jew if I wanted to. Smiley

if your mother is jewish you ARE jewish

Yeah, but I don't act like one, I mean I could be Jewish 'officially'.
How does one 'acts'?

Well, have any sort of connection to the Jewish community, religion, habits, etc. But I see that it depends on how you view the defintion. I always thought of Jews as a people, and my people are the Swedes. But I was primarily thinking of becoming an Israeli citizen, which would be an official step.
dunn

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2004, 11:43:02 AM »

I thought it was the opposite. Oh well I'm Jewish, reform Judiasm to be specific, which is like the unitarian or presybyterian branch of Judiasm. In other words we are not bound to any beliefs or responsibility, so most of us are non-religious.

Did I mention Adam Sandler belongs to our synagogue, and stops by on a semi-annual basis?

it is by the mother's

How does one 'acts'?

Well, have any sort of connection to the Jewish community, religion, habits, etc. But I see that it depends on how you view the defintion. I always thought of Jews as a people, and my people are the Swedes. But I was primarily thinking of becoming an Israeli citizen, which would be an official step.

you kidding me
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2004, 11:57:37 AM »

it is by the mother's

How does one 'acts'?

you kidding me

No, I'm not. I suppose you're defining Jewish as an ethnic label? But it's a little confused. Still, like I said I was thinking more about the issue of Israeli citizenship, since I heard once that I could apply for that due to heritage. For clarification, I should probably mention that my mother isn't really Jewish, you would ahve to go back to my grand grand-mother to find someone who was from a Jewish family. After that it's just the Mother's rule all the way. That's part of my reasoning.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2004, 01:02:37 PM »

Jewish is a religion, not a race. The people of Israel now are Jewish in religion, but most are not true HEBREWS that originally lived there at the time of Jesus. Most Israelies are Russian or Eastern European.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2004, 02:16:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hebrews are different. You arn't fully Hebrew if your mother is Hebrew- you're half hebrew. Most European Jews arn't Hebrew. By becoming a Jew, you're part of the Jewish Race, the non-gentile race. There really arn't any Hebrews around anymore.

Nobody needs to "Act" Jewish to be Jewish. Many people are Jewish but don't act Jewish. I may be Jewish (we have yet to find out if my adopted Grandmother is Jewish or not), but I don't act Jewish at all. I'm Catholic. The only Yiddish phrase I'll ever say is "oy vey".
dunn

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2004, 03:17:47 PM »

Jewish is a religion, not a race. The people of Israel now are Jewish in religion, but most are not true HEBREWS that originally lived there at the time of Jesus. Most Israelies are Russian or Eastern European.

1. there are more Sefaradic (oriental-middle eatren) jews then Ashknazi (eastern europ) jews in Israel today.
2. Jewish is religion AND race.
3. there are about 20% non jewish in Israel itself (mostly muslims, but also christians, druz, etc)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2004, 05:41:01 PM »

I know plenty of atheists who are very Jewish. I have always viewed them as a people, a combination of ethnic and cultural traits, but that's me.
dunn

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2004, 05:43:01 PM »

I know plenty of atheists who are very Jewish. I have always viewed them as a people, a combination of ethnic and cultural traits, but that's me.
and it's the true
zachman

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2004, 07:56:02 PM »

Jews are very afraid of religion. For me it is just the cultural and social element that will keep me in the religion. I don't really have a religious agreement with other Jews, and I radically believe they are wrong if they have any eccestential beliefs.
dunn

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2004, 01:56:36 AM »

not more or less then any other
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2004, 02:06:58 AM »

1. there are more Sefaradic (oriental-middle eatren) jews then Ashknazi (eastern europ) jews in Israel today.
3. there are about 20% non jewish in Israel itself (mostly muslims, but also christians, druz, etc)

Can any modern Jew trace their heritage back to any of the twelve tribes? Can they even trace back to the times of Jesus? Just curious.
dunn

« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2004, 02:09:38 AM »

Can any modern Jew trace their heritage back to any of the twelve tribes? Can they even trace back to the times of Jesus? Just curious.

1. yes
2. it's only 2+ tribes, the ones from kingdom of Judea, thr other 10 vanish in 7th century bc
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2004, 02:18:55 AM »

Can you name or show me any group that has? And do they have a site where I can see the lineage? The Jews were "scattered to the wind". I dont believe any Jewish person alive can trace their lineage back to the tribes.
dunn

« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2004, 02:26:26 AM »

Can you name or show me any group that has? And do they have a site where I can see the lineage? The Jews were "scattered to the wind". I dont believe any Jewish person alive can trace their lineage back to the tribes.

If you do not belive why ask?
you are so sure that you are right about anything. thare are jews that never left Hebron from King David to thr massacer of 1929

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2004, 10:05:47 AM »

I'm just saying the bible says the Jews were "scattered to the wind".
dunn

« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2004, 12:49:31 PM »

I'm just saying the bible says the Jews were "scattered to the wind".

no you are not. you says much worst stuff and i am surprize that an inteligent man like you is falling to that hole

Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »

Europe.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »

Did you bump this to bring back StatesRights to the forefront of our veteran posters minds?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »

Did you bump this to bring back StatesRights to the forefront of our veteran posters minds?

No, I think people are genuinely interested in my European ancestry.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »

7/16 Irish (Protestant of course)
1/4 German
1/4 English
1/16 Scottish

My paternal line is United Empire Loyalist with a possible branch going to the Mayflower. My last name is much more common in the US than here.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »

Mainly Germany and Ireland.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2014, 04:39:09 AM »

Three different valleys in the mountains of Tirol, no one more than 40 Kilometres away from my home.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2014, 07:09:52 AM »

Since records began, all from Austria.
Spamage
spamage
United States