DNC “Unity Commission” to look at reforms to nomination process for 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:32:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  DNC “Unity Commission” to look at reforms to nomination process for 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: DNC “Unity Commission” to look at reforms to nomination process for 2020  (Read 10623 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »

Update: All of the members of the commission have now been named:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dnc-unity-reform-commission_us_58f50d1fe4b0b9e9848d92eb

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1   Jennifer O’Malley Dillon, Chair, District of Columbia
   2   Larry Cohen, Vice Chair, District of Columbia
   3   Charlie Baker, Massachusetts
   4   Jan Bauer, Iowa
   5   Jeff Berman, District of Columbia
   6   Lucy Flores, California
   7   Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio)
   8   Maya Harris, New York
   9   David Huynh, Louisiana
   10   Elaine Kamarck, Massachusetts
   11   Jane Kleeb, Nebraska Democratic Party Chair
   12   Nomiki Konst, New York
   13   Yvette Lewis, Maryland
   14   Gus Newport, California
   15   Jorge Neri, Illinois
   16   James Roosevelt, Jr., Massachusetts
   17   Emmy Ruiz, Texas
   18   Nina Turner, Ohio
   19   Jeff Weaver, Virginia
   20   Wellington Webb, Colorado
   21   Jim Zogby, District of Columbia

I thought she was from Nevada?
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »

Cuomo has wanted to change the arcane NY voting laws including the stupid registration rule but the Senate is R controlled, it just shows the party has no real influence over this.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »

3   Charlie Baker, Massachusetts
LOL
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »

That has to be a different Charlie Baker...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 08:35:42 PM »

It's this Charlie Baker:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-28/charlie-baker-joins-clinton-campaign-as-chief-administrative-officer
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »

I'm glad the superdelegates aren't going anywhere. Their whole point is to be a check against someone getting the nomination who would be politically suicidal. Hence why Bernie supporters hate them so much...
Instead they lined up for a candidate universally hated because it was 'her turn'. And that candidate lost to a moronic oompa loompa who will damage this country for the next four years. If that's not political suicide, then what is?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »

If the Republican Governor of Massachusetts was there, it'd really be a "unity" commission.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »

18   Nina Turner, Ohio

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 10:47:05 PM »

18   Nina Turner, Ohio

Those three were all picked by Sanders, in case that wasn't obvious.  Tongue
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 10:58:52 PM »

18   Nina Turner, Ohio

He could've picked three people off the street in Burlington and they would've been better choices. I really can't stand how much Perez is capitulating to the minority of the party.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »

18   Nina Turner, Ohio

He could've picked three people off the street in Burlington and they would've been better choices. I really can't stand how much Perez is capitulating to the minority of the party.

Perez didn't agree to hand over spots on this commission to Sanders.  That was agreed to last year, well before Perez was elected.  They basically allowed both Clinton and Sanders to pick people for this commission as a compromise to avoid a scenario where the Sanders delegates would disrupt the convention by trying to push through controversial reforms to the nomination process.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »

Nomiki!! Cheesy
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 12:30:10 AM by Shadows »

12   Nomiki Konst, New York
   18   Nina Turner, Ohio
   19   Jeff Weaver, Virginia

Those three were all picked by Sanders, in case that wasn't obvious.  Tongue

This is just political hackery (tall talk coming from someone who helped elect Trump) when Clinton campaign officials can all be there in the Unity Commission& there's not a damn issue but when Bernie's campaign manager or a Dem State Senator from Ohio, all hell breaks lose.

I guess anyone who is not a political hack & took for the establishment is better than random people in the streets !
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »

18   Nina Turner, Ohio

If you don't want the progressive vote, fine. Force them out of the party. Just don't be surprised when they don't turn out to vote Democrat and don't blame them when they vote for a third party candidate.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 12:31:57 AM »

Why is the breakup not available? Who did Perez pick? All non-Sanders' pick look like lifelong Clinton people ! Anyways Clinton gets 9 to Sanders 7, so no use expecting a loss.

They should probably abolish primaries & elect candidates via a convention of DNC members if they thing it is okay for Super-Delegates to over-turn the will of the people. Don't know can anyone be this dumb to even argue for it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 12:47:18 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 12:50:33 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Why is the breakup not available? Who did Perez pick? All non-Sanders' pick look like lifelong Clinton people ! Anyways Clinton gets 9 to Sanders 7, so no use expecting a loss.

They should probably abolish primaries & elect candidates via a convention of DNC members if they thing it is okay for Super-Delegates to over-turn the will of the people. Don't know can anyone be this dumb to even argue for it?

Bernie chose 8 people.
I assume the 10 people who are obviously Hillary people according to the description, mostly from the campaign were chosen by Hillary.
That leaves 3 people. A google shows that Jennifer O’Malley Dillon and Elaine Kamarck were both members of the Hillary campaign while James Roosevelt, Jr is some DNC establishment hack who served in the Clinton administration. So yes, everyone that Bernie didn't choose was a Clinton hack, and most were members of her campaign. F**k Perez and his unity commission.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 01:26:17 AM »

Bernie chose 8 people.
I assume the 10 people who are obviously Hillary people according to the description, mostly from the campaign were chosen by Hillary.
That leaves 3 people. A google shows that Jennifer O’Malley Dillon and Elaine Kamarck were both members of the Hillary campaign while James Roosevelt, Jr is some DNC establishment hack who served in the Clinton administration. So yes, everyone that Bernie didn't choose was a Clinton hack, and most were members of her campaign. F**k Perez and his unity commission.

The breakup was 7/9/3 so I don't know Bernie chose 8. Maybe Perez gave 1 of his slots to each of Bernie, Hillary & chose the other himself. Let's see what the Unity Commission does before passing a judgement ! Perez & this stuff deserves a fair shot, time & then should be called into question with results showing he has failed/hasn't done anything !
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 01:32:32 AM »

Bernie chose 8 people.
I'm sorry explain to me why the guy who lost by 3 million votes in the primary is suppose to have more people then Hillary?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »

Bernie chose 8 people.
I'm sorry explain to me why the guy who lost by 3 million votes in the primary is suppose to have more people then Hillary?

Sanders should not have more people, but if this is the "Unity" commission, then there has to be some serious concessions to the Bernie wing, otherwise they should not pretend to do this.

Also I fail to see what you are bringing this incredibly ridiculous 3 Million votes argument because it is a fake stat as it doesn't count caucus votes. So next time maybe do Purple state vote win of HRC or blue state win if we want to pick & chose states & then talk about the margin of victory.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »

Bernie chose 8 people.

The breakup was 7/9/3 so I don't know Bernie chose 8. Maybe Perez gave 1 of his slots to each of Bernie, Hillary & chose the other himself. Let's see what the Unity Commission does before passing a judgement ! Perez & this stuff deserves a fair shot, time & then should be called into question with results showing he has failed/hasn't done anything !

The reporting was sloppy. First it says

But then it goes on to mention the 8 people picked by Bernie.

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »

Jeff Weaver, Sanders’s presidential campaign manager, argued that party incentives that reward states that all hold nominating contests on the same day hurt insurgent candidates who don’t have the same amount of resources to compete in multiple states at the same time. That effect, he added, will be compounded in 2020, when the wide-open presidential field will likely lead to the first Democratic primary since 2004 with more than two major candidates.

“I expect in 2020 we will have a much more open field, and it’s my view that we want to pick the best candidate, but the best candidate in many cases is not the candidate who starts with the most resources,” he said. “If that process is perceived to be fair, we will have a much stronger candidate.”

The delegates all brought up a slew of concerns—keeping the budget transparent, limiting the power of superdelegates, amending caucus and primary rules in the spirit of openness, and funding state parties and more paid staffers. The commission has the power to offer a broad series of recommendation to the party, leaving few topics off limits.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/332167-dems-kick-off-unity-commission
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/323805-unity-commission-another-challenge-for-democrats

The commission was agreed to as a compromise at last year’s DNC, to give Sanders supporters a forum in which to push for reform to the nomination process.  Among the things that this commission will look at are rules for caucuses vs. primaries, open vs. closed primaries, and the role of super delegates.

The story in The Hill seems to suggest that super delegate reform has already been agreed to, but Josh Putnam says that that’s not correct:

https://twitter.com/FHQ/status/841629576539340802
https://twitter.com/FHQ/status/841629962050367488

I don’t believe the decisions made by the commission are binding.  Any real changes have to go through the Rules & Bylaws Committee.  More on the commission here:

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-democrats-unity-reform-commission.html

Get rid of the superdelegates, the closed primaries, the super Tuesdays, and then I'd say you've made some reforms.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/323805-unity-commission-another-challenge-for-democrats

The commission was agreed to as a compromise at last year’s DNC, to give Sanders supporters a forum in which to push for reform to the nomination process.  Among the things that this commission will look at are rules for caucuses vs. primaries, open vs. closed primaries, and the role of super delegates.

The story in The Hill seems to suggest that super delegate reform has already been agreed to, but Josh Putnam says that that’s not correct:

I don’t believe the decisions made by the commission are binding.  Any real changes have to go through the Rules & Bylaws Committee.  More on the commission here:

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-democrats-unity-reform-commission.html

Get rid of the superdelegates, the closed primaries, the super Tuesdays, and then I'd say you've made some reforms.

Don't forget getting rid of caucuses.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2017, 01:25:36 AM »

Except Iowa.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2017, 01:32:12 AM »

Except Iowa.

Iowa has coin tosses & in Nevada you apparently draw from a pack of cards, to settle ties. Talk about having archaic rules in need of reform !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies