If 2018 was a Clinton midterm, does Charlie Baker sweep every town in MA-GOV?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 11:14:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If 2018 was a Clinton midterm, does Charlie Baker sweep every town in MA-GOV?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: If 2018 was a Clinton midterm, does Charlie Baker sweep every town in MA-GOV?  (Read 1439 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »

The Massachusetts Democratic Party is so incompetent, that I would be inclined to say that he does manage to sweep every town in the state in such a scenario.
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »

No, the residual Democratic brand is too strong in western MA. He'd do better everywhere, but he would still lose a few towns. My guess is he comes close to but falls short of actually flipping Boston.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »

The Massachusetts Democratic Party is incredibly competent, they literally control everything except the Governorship.
Duke of York

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »

The Massachusetts Democratic Party is so incompetent, that I would be inclined to say that he does manage to sweep every town in the state in such a scenario.
They are far from incompetent. They hold every other statewide office and have a supermajority in the legislature
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »

No, the residual Democratic brand is too strong in western MA. He'd do better everywhere, but he would still lose a few towns. My guess is he comes close to but falls short of actually flipping Boston.

He literally came very close to winning Boston with Trump as president (getting 49% of the vote there). He is winning the city if Clinton was president.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »

I could still see him losing something like Cambridge.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »

He would probably win Boston but lose a few small ultra Dem and or Liberal towns such as Cambridge.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 12:06:05 AM »

I think he loses Cambridge and a few towns in the western part of the state. He flips Boston and might sweep the congressional districts.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 08:42:06 AM »

No, I doubt he would even do that much better. Gonzalez did as well as he did not because of Trump.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »

No, I doubt he would even do that much better. Gonzalez did as well as he did not because of Trump.

I think Baker would have hit 70% if this was a Clinton midterm. I'm sure there were some Democrats who approved of Baker but couldn't vote for someone from the same party as Trump.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 02:05:04 PM »

He literally came very close to winning Boston with Trump as president (getting 49% of the vote there). He is winning the city if Clinton was president.

So you know the answer, yet you still asked the question.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 02:07:07 PM »

There were other Towns that were far more Democratic than Boston.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 10:14:09 PM »

Gonzalez won a couple of towns by 30-40. Doubt this happens unless Baker somehow winds up running unopposed
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »

Boston is far from the most Democratic municipality in MA. There are multiple places in the Boston area and elsewhere that are more Democratic.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 02:54:14 PM »

I think Baker would have hit 70% if this was a Clinton midterm. I'm sure there were some Democrats who approved of Baker but couldn't vote for someone from the same party as Trump.

In reality he got 66.6%, so hitting 70% would not be that much better in the grand scheme of things.

Any Democrat who approves of Baker but didn't vote for him probably isn't voting for any Republican anyway. The only improvement Baker would have made if it was a Clinton midterm would be due to the enthusiasm gap being reversed. And that wouldn't have been nearly enough to win Cambridge, Somerville, Amherst, Northampton, Leverett, Wendell, Great Barrington, etc.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 09:28:03 AM »

This. I think the fact of who was in the White House had absolutely no effect on Baker's popularity or Gonzalez's weaknesses.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »

He would have done better, but I still don't see any scenario where Baker wins Amherst or Cambridge
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies