Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:50:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ?  (Read 2076 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: August 10, 2018, 06:52:44 AM »

Good on Canada. Justin Truduea once again proves himself one of the greatest world leaders today, especially with such a poor slate of leaders.

Canada is still selling $12 billion in military materiel to the Saudis.  Smiley

I personally think the ethics of the sale is very complicated, but this is typical of the Trudeau Liberals (not that they asked for this over reaction from the Saudi Government) be big on symbolism and much less clear on actual substance.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »

Good on Canada. Justin Truduea once again proves himself one of the greatest world leaders today, especially with such a poor slate of leaders.

The tweet by the Canadian foreign ministry was really just a basic canned remark made only because the relatives of the imprisoned live in Canada. Justin Trudeau's response was equally bland. This "dispute" is almost entirely about Saudi Arabia and MBS flexing their muscles by sanctioning a Western middle power. It has almost no meaningful economic or political impact beyond increasing Saudi Arabia's international stature. Personally, I think it is amazing foreign policy on the part of MBS, as long as they don't try to get too cute.

So you’d say this spat is largely for KSA domestic consumption?

I suspect they are also trying to ensure that there is no foreign backlash.  I haven't read this anywhere, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Saudi Arabia went after Canada who are in the G7, but by a fair bit are the smallest member of the G7. So, this was a way to send a message to the advanced economic nations to 'not interfere in their internal affairs' by going after the smallest nation with the credibility of being in the G7.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »

It's interesting to see that the Post Media Newspaper Chain in Canada that lambasted the Trudeau Liberals for selling the war materiel to Saudi Arabia is now lambasting the Trudeau Liberals for getting mixed up in this.

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »

It's interesting to see that the Post Media Newspaper Chain in Canada that lambasted the Trudeau Liberals for selling the war materiel to Saudi Arabia is now lambasting the Trudeau Liberals for getting mixed up in this.

Yes.  The Tories seem to love Saudi Arabia all of a sudden.

According to the CBC radio show The House, the Conservatives have pretty much stayed silent on this, or offered qualified public support to the Liberals.  From the public perspective (I don't know about individual conservative voters) this seems to be a strictly PostMedia (or Post/Sun Media) thing. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies