Republicans prepare to cast congressional candidates as check on Hillary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:33:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republicans prepare to cast congressional candidates as check on Hillary (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans prepare to cast congressional candidates as check on Hillary  (Read 1138 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:00:15 AM »

I don't think the 1996 example holds water for another reason. Bill Clinton basically coasted to reelection. I'm pretty sure I remember reading in his autobiography (which I bought and read 12 years when I was 17) that he basically admitted he could have won by a few more points and won a few more states. If Republicans try to fall back on Congress, I don't think Democrats are going to let them do that without a fight like they did in 1996. I mean, looking at the results from 1996, there's no reason why Democrats shouldn't have won back the House. They only had a +2 net gain from 1994. Democrats just didn't run a good campaign. Bill Clinton should have won by 15 points and at least 40 states and Democrats should have easily taken the House back. I could also excuse not winning the Senate back, but Republicans actually gaining two seats is absolutely not (the worst offense being losing a Senate seat in President Clinton's home state).

I don't think Republicans can really do much to save the Senate. If anything, the map is actively moving away from them. Charlie Cook currently has nine tossups (8 Republicans, 1 Democrat). On average, the tossups tend to go about 80% to one party overall. Since 1998, one party has always won between 67-89% of the tossup races. They're not going to split down the middle. It just doesn't work like that (see here).

As for the House this year, it's really too early to say. I agree with most people that say that it would take a wave (i.e. anywhere from a solid Clinton win to a landslide) for Democrats to win back the House. That cake isn't even done mixing, let alone ready to bake. I don't think we'll know the true House landscape until after the first debate. Waves really tend to materialize in October. I think there will be races not on the radar that will be if we're at this point in late September (which basically has to happen if a Democratic takeover is to actually happen). Split-ticket is sure to increase this year, but if Trump is losing suburban Republican-held seats by 15 or even 20-points or more, very few will survive. No gerrymander will protect against a 40-point or even a 2-1 Hillary win in the Philly suburbs (which is the current polling). I think it's general political conventional wisdom with gerrymanders that the bigger they are, the harder they can fall. I think it will take a sizable win for the House to fall, but it is a significant possibility that cannot be ignored.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:23:50 AM »

Problem with this is it assumes that there's a 100% chance of Trump losing. If Trump wins, the congressional candidates won't be much of a check on him.

Exactly. Does anyone here remember the hardline immigration bill the House passed in 2006 that prompted massive protests (i.e. the "Sensenbrenner Bill")? That would be nothing compared to what would actually become law if Trump won and had both Houses of Congress.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies