WSJ: Rural America Is the New ‘Inner City’ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:57:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WSJ: Rural America Is the New ‘Inner City’ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WSJ: Rural America Is the New ‘Inner City’  (Read 5306 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: May 27, 2017, 04:13:41 PM »

As ever certain responses to this thread are highly troubling. I am a leftist at one level, because I believe that empathy is one of the most valuable traits a person can have. That we can look at a young man in prison for theft or a dropout pregnant teen or an immigrant being deported away from his adopted home due to petty bureaucracy and say "this person made mistakes, but part of the reason was a rotten system that would have swept me up too if I had been in their shoes".  With that in mind, I find it baffling that i should turn this trait off for people whose main sin is voting for Donald Trump.

I would also add that I think it is a useless exercise to sectarianise poverty, but I assume it'll fall on deaf ears
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »

As ever certain responses to this thread are highly troubling. I am a leftist at one level, because I believe that empathy is one of the most valuable traits a person can have. That we can look at a young man in prison for theft or a dropout pregnant teen or an immigrant being deported away from his adopted home due to petty bureaucracy and say "this person made mistakes, but part of the reason was a rotten system that would have swept me up too if I had been in their shoes".  With that in mind, I find it baffling that i should turn this trait off for people whose main sin is voting for Donald Trump.

I would also add that I think it is a useless exercise to sectarianise poverty, but I assume it'll fall on deaf ears

One part of it is that Republicans have always derided the failures of hard-luck folks as personal failures, that they just need to "pull up by their bootstraps." Whether it's right or wrong, to a lot of leftists, blaming Trump supporters for their own poverty, instead of systemic forces, would just be returning the favor.

But you're casting a wide net here. This assumes that all Trump voters are GOP ideologues, which is obviously incorrect given the idiosyncratic nature of their polled views and the fact that a good portion voted for Obama, Kerry (!) etc as well as congressional dems.

And even if we include the rock solid GOP base, the logic you provide is not satisfactory to me morally. Empathy should not be something doled out by choice, it must be consistently applied to all. Especially when liberals horrifically miss their fire, pouring scorn on an easily mocked misrepresentation of the GOP base (i.e. "white trash", hillbillies, obese and uncultured trailer park residents) which a) doesn't really reflect the fundamentally middle class nature of the GOP coalition and b) is just as offensive and disgusting as GOP scaremongering about "urban youth".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies