Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:24:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama?  (Read 7046 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »

It would be nice to have a tough guy like Biden as your VP, but on the other hand I think it would be great to pick someone from outside the Beltway.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »

I know people will get on me about my Joementum stuff but Biden really would be Obama's best choice.  Obama's main weakness is his perception as inexperienced and who better to pick than a Senator of over thirty years to balance that out?

With his 35 years worth of experience, I think he would end up overshadowing Obama. I think he  would be better off as Secretary of State.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »

He should pick Easely, Bredesen, or Tim Kaine.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »

I know people will get on me about my Joementum stuff but Biden really would be Obama's best choice.  Obama's main weakness is his perception as inexperienced and who better to pick than a Senator of over thirty years to balance that out?

With his 35 years worth of experience, I think he would end up overshadowing Obama. I think he  would be better off as Secretary of State.

But experience is what he needs on the ticket.  It is like how in 1960 Kennedy balanced his ticket by getting someone with years of experience(Johnson)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »

I'd go with a ticket-balancer if I were him.  An old-school southern former KKK democrat.  Robert Byrd maybe.  Or David Duke, I suppose.  Help him win in the bootheel of Missouri and the panhandle of Florida.  Or maybe one of those firebrand populist Catholics from Boston.  Or a Southern California Reagan Democrat.  Someone like that.  Or maybe he could be magnanimous and pick one of his opponents in the primaries.  Sometimes folks do that.  I wouldn't.  None of those current primary opponents really help him in that regard.  Also, most of them are assholes.  Except for Kucinich and Richardson and Dodd, they're all assholes.  And Kucinich is a weirdo and Richardson is a dolt.  So that leaves only Dodd.  Actually, I kinda like Dodd but I still say ditch the primary opponents and go with a logistical choice. 

Or just go with a screw-you choice like Bush did in 2000 when he picked Cheney.  That was bold.  Turned out to be disastrous, of course.  But you have to admire the abject brazenness of the choice.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 12:10:10 AM »

yeah, i'm going to second robert byrd
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 12:23:43 AM »

Obama had a lot of very kind words for Byrd in his book...
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 12:44:45 AM »

Obama had a lot of very kind words for Byrd in his book...

Clinton also praised Byrd in her book.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 10:49:55 AM »

Sam Nunn

He's old but he would be perfect.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »

Sam Nunn

He's old but he would be perfect.

That's another good one.  And what about that crotchety old fart that told the Hardball guy that he wished it was still appropriate for gentlemen to have duels?  He was saying "Get out of my face!"  What was his name?  Miller?  That's the sort of Democrat Obama wants for his VP.  He's not quite as old as Byrd, but he's as mean as Byrd.  He's probably about the same age as Nunn but is in better health.  Anyway, isn't Nunn already Bloomberg's steady girlfriend.  I don't think he'll jilt Bloomberg for Obama.  Bloomberg's richer and better-looking.  But I think he said he doesn't want to be anyone's VP anyway.  I'm thinking that Nunn wants a Nunn/Bloomberg ticket, and not a Bloomberg/Nunn ticket.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2007, 04:00:54 PM by auburntiger »

Now that Obama looks like he could possibly win the Democratic nomination, who do you think would be his best realistic VP choice? (I left Al Gore off the list on purpose).

This is a tough one, but here are a few names I think he may consider:

Sen. Joe Biden
General Wesley Clark
Gov. Bill Richardson
Gov. Phil Bredesen (Tennessee)
Gov. Brian Schweitzer (Montana)
Former Gov. John Kitzhaber (Oregon)
 Gov. Tim Kaine (Virginia)
Sen. Jim Webb
Mayor Mike Bloomberg

In my opinion, the most likely running mates are Joe Biden, Phil Bredesen, or Tim Kaine. Opinions?

Sen. Joe Biden: Good pick, but I doubt he's interested.
General Wesley Clark: He's a Hillary supporter.
Gov. Bill Richardson: Gaffe machine
Gov. Phil Bredesen (Tennessee):
Strong pick who could  put West Virginia and Virginia into play.

Gov. Brian Schweitzer (Montana): Would help in Colorado...
Former Gov. John Kitzhaber (Oregon): I know Governor Kitzhaber and he's assured me that he has zero interest in moving to Washington D.C.
 Gov. Tim Kaine (Virginia): Good pick: Kaine's term limited and has nowhere else to go on the political ladder.  The eyebrow twitching  may be a problem, though.
Sen. Jim Webb: Unlikely Webb would say yes.
Mayor Mike Bloomberg: VP? That's a demotion for Bloomberg.

Why does Bredesen (D-TN) have anything to do with putting VA and WV into play? but not putting TN into play?

In 2006, Bredesen won every single county, something to be said especially for the counties in East TN.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »

But experience is what he needs on the ticket.  It is like how in 1960 Kennedy balanced his ticket by getting someone with years of experience(Johnson)

The problem as I see it, is that Biden has too much experience. What I mean I by that is that I think an Obama/Biden ticket would create the sense that the two should trade places.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »

I´m hoping it'll be Obama/Sebelius. Nothing better than asking a Kansan in memory of his late mother (who was from KS) ... Smiley
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 03:52:33 AM »

Ideally, a running mate with strong foreign policy creds. 
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 02:12:46 PM »

I vote Bloomberg
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »

Al Gore
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »

Ideally, a running mate with strong foreign policy creds. 

Joe Biden Wink lol
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »

Biden would make a great President, Vice-President or Secretary of State.  He isn't a gaffe machine, as has been suggested -- but he is gaffe prone.  (I just view a gaffe machine as being someone like President Bush, who makes idiotic statements constantly.  Not once in awhile. -- that said, maybe it's more noticeable from someone like Biden, who USUALLY sounds so competent and knowledgeable.)

Biden will almost certainly be Hillary's Secretary of State (Clark or Ted Strickland will be her VP).  If Obama wins, Biden might be a smart choice for VP for exactly the reasons stated.  Bush picked Cheney --- errr, Cheney picked Cheney -- to bring experience in international and military affairs to the ticket.  Biden fits that bill, except competently.  Evan Bayh, less so.  And yes, his seat would go R.  That is something the DSCC cannot allow, even with a majority.

My guess is Obama will choose someone we are not expecting. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »

Agreed, but i think he might tend towards someone with solid executive experience but who at the same time fits with the kind of ethos his campaign has projected - no mean feet!

On paper Bayh, Biden, Dodds, Pryor, Nelson (Bill) could all be reasonable candidates, but i get the sense he'd reject them as being from too far inside the beltway (although Nelson might work - no executive experience of course but still, southern, moderate, experienced, from a key state etc...).

Yeah, maybe Nelson, but I think he'll go for a governor or perhaps someone who's not currently in office (Breaux?).           
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »

Agreed, but i think he might tend towards someone with solid executive experience but who at the same time fits with the kind of ethos his campaign has projected - no mean feet!

On paper Bayh, Biden, Dodds, Pryor, Nelson (Bill) could all be reasonable candidates, but i get the sense he'd reject them as being from too far inside the beltway (although Nelson might work - no executive experience of course but still, southern, moderate, experienced, from a key state etc...).

Yeah, maybe Nelson, but I think he'll go for a governor or perhaps someone who's not currently in office (Breaux?).           

John Breaux or Sam Nunn would make a great VP.  Nunn, particularly, because he has outstanding chops on military and foreign policy matters.  Breaux is a social conservative who is open to dialogue and common ground with the left...the kind of guy Obama could negotiate with.

Personally, I hope Nunn and Senator Richard Lugar continue their work together on loose nukes. Few missions are more important and any new President would be wise to put their concerns front and center.  Lugar, a pretty loyal Republican, has been critical of the current administration for not taking the problem of loose nukes seriously enough.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 02:23:12 PM »

The perfect veep candidate for Obama would be a moderate white male from a marginal state, in his late fifties, with considerable executive experience and foreign policy/national security creds; he would be sensitive to reform and able to convey the sense of being a Washington outsider.

No idea who best fits that description, though.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »

I'm going to say Richardson.  He's run a disappointing campaign, but he has an impressive resume including considerable foreign policy experience, and anyone who would be put off by a Hispanic wouldn't be voting for a black candidate anyway.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 04:45:59 PM »

I actually think Richardson could be a strong VP candidate for any of the top 3 -- Edwards, Clinton or Obama.  He certainly has his problems, but everyone does.  As a Hispanic Democratic Governor in the Southwest with foreign policy experience, he fills a niche that no one else can.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »

Biden would make a great President, Vice-President or Secretary of State.  He isn't a gaffe machine, as has been suggested -- but he is gaffe prone.  (I just view a gaffe machine as being someone like President Bush, who makes idiotic statements constantly.  Not once in awhile. -- that said, maybe it's more noticeable from someone like Biden, who USUALLY sounds so competent and knowledgeable.)

Biden will almost certainly be Hillary's Secretary of State (Clark or Ted Strickland will be her VP).  If Obama wins, Biden might be a smart choice for VP for exactly the reasons stated.  Bush picked Cheney --- errr, Cheney picked Cheney -- to bring experience in international and military affairs to the ticket.  Biden fits that bill, except competently.  Evan Bayh, less so.  And yes, his seat would go R.  That is something the DSCC cannot allow, even with a majority.

The thing is, I have a concern that with Biden, it would be similar to the Dukakis/Bentson situation where the VP candidate overshadows the Presidential candidate.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »

The perfect veep candidate for Obama would be a moderate white male from a marginal state, in his late fifties, with considerable executive experience and foreign policy/national security creds; he would be sensitive to reform and able to convey the sense of being a Washington outsider.

No idea who best fits that description, though.

Does anyone know what committees Ted Strickland served on while a Congressman?  He could fit the bill for any Democratic ticket.  Ohio, yanno. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies