Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:53:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75784 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: January 08, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »

Very sad. RIP.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »

The trouble is, it's a reasonable conclusion to leap to (for various reasons) even if it may well be wrong. Violent political language often leads to political violence, though, of course, we don't know whether that was the case here.

That is pure nonsense, whose logical conclusion would lead to a ban on political speech lest someone get hurt.   The only conclusion that is reasonable to leap to is no conclusion at all until all the facts are known.  The shooter could have any motivation or no motivation at all.

How is that the logical conclusion? The logical conclusion might be that politicians shouldn't engage in to hateful rhetoric and that doing so is irresponsible.

Although hate speech legislation does exist for a reason.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:48:51 AM »

So the guy wasn't definitely left or right but the usual suspects are ignoring that to carry on their pet causes?

How unpredictable!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:00:32 AM »

Sweden just woke up, I think, so there isn't much in the way of analysis. But there seems to be implicit blaming of the tea party going on.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »

While some on the left did jump to conclusions too fast, it is troubling to see that those on the right are still hesitant to condemn language like "don't retreat, reload" or "second amendment remedies".

Yes, this guy was insane. Most people who commit violence for political reasons usually are insane, unless it is a mass movement. But his Schizophrenia (that is what is seems like he has) can be trigerred by many things. I don't know if sweet Sarah's map targetting individuals (not districts, but individuals) was misinterpreted by the voices within this guy's head. Most probably that is not the case. But the potential is there. That is why politically influential people should watch what they say. Hopefully this will be a teaching moment for these people. Probably not for similarly insane individuals like Beck, but hopefully Sarah will thing twice before getting all cute with language about guns.

And I would say the same of leftists if they were doing this sort of sh**t. But are they? Are their prominent liberals advocating for "second amendment remedies" if they lose elections? There were definitely a few crazies around when Bush was President, but they were always marginalized. They did not have primetime coverage on America's most popular "news" station.

If you disagree with any of this, you have lost all capacity of critical thought.

If anyone disagrees with you they have lost the capacity for critical thinking? lol...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »

Truncating free speech over this, either de jure (which of course will not happen), or de facto, is at once both futile and unwise. JMO. And I would hope whatever political party thinks they can gain some advantage over this - fails.

Anyway I think it is impermissible to propose such truncation, is it not?  Or to suggest any connection between speech and this event?

By the way, regarding the picture above, and I mean this not as 'trolling' but as a 'joke', if a joke might be allowed - we could probably eliminate a great deal of trouble in this country just by rounding up all the shaven headed b******s out there.

I don't get it - we're making this place more like Thailand, and you complain?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »

Even if speech were truncated here its more than made up for by other things.  This forum is decidedly lacking in those things.

Right, so you don't actually care for freedom of speech. Glad we cleared that up.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »

...its more than made up for by other things.  This forum is decidedly lacking in those things.

Yeah, after Stark's departure the forum is definitely lacking the presence of a pro-pedophilia constituency. 

Well the 'other things' I was referring to range in age from 19-38, so your personal attack is somewhat misplaced.

Even if speech were truncated here its more than made up for by other things.  This forum is decidedly lacking in those things.

Right, so you don't actually care for freedom of speech. Glad we cleared that up.

Saying a preference is one among many doesn't mean one values it not at all.  Of course freedom of speech is nice, but so are other things.

Yes, such as civil, respectful discourse. Or just the fact that Dave wants his private forum to work like that. If you think a country where criticism of the rich and powerful gets you thrown in jail or shot is paradise on Earth it rings hollow to call it fascism when you're not allowed to state that the Republicans killed Giffords (which is a slanderous lie).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »

Yes, such as civil, respectful discourse. Or just the fact that Dave wants his private forum to work like that. If you think a country where criticism of the rich and powerful gets you thrown in jail or shot is paradise on Earth it rings hollow to call it fascism when you're not allowed to state that the Republicans killed Giffords (which is a slanderous lie).

Not really.  On an internet forum is precisely where freedom of speech is practical - because it doesn't matter, its all just for fun.  But here in Paradise, letting a load of social conservatives take over just because they're a bit leftist economically is not my idea of fun.  Vive la Ancien Régime!

So you want the freedom to talk yourself when it pleases you but you want to deny it to others who disagree with you.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:40 AM »

apologies if that has already been posted, but just weird

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/15/AR2011011501922.html?hpid=topnews

After checking into the Motel 6, Loughner went to a nearby Walgreens to retrieve the film he had developed. The photos showed Loughner wearing a red G-string and holding a gun near his buttocks, according to law enforcement sources.

edit: and what's this part about?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He was a college drop-out, remember? The Super Wal-Marts were built for those people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies