Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:18:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75549 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 08, 2011, 09:11:27 PM »

Can people reading this thread please not report posts just because they find the political angle of them distasteful and/or stupid? Obviously emotions are running high (and that's fine; normal even) but, you know. I mean, within reason of course. Trolling is trolling.

a screenshot that counts roughly 24 of my most recent reports in my email inbox:

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #351 on: January 08, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »

Can people reading this thread please not report posts just because they find the political angle of them distasteful and/or stupid? Obviously emotions are running high (and that's fine; normal even) but, you know. I mean, within reason of course. Trolling is trolling.

a screenshot that counts roughly 24 of my most recent reports in my email inbox:

Wow.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #352 on: January 08, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »

And what is with so many people here turning a very tragic event into "omgz teabaggers! bla bla bla 2nd amendment! bla bla!" hackfest? This thread is about Giffords and the others who lost their lives, not about Palin and others being idiots, seriously STFU already.

The Sheriff of Pima County spoke several times about vitriol from radio talk show hosts and general political discourse and how absolutely destructive it is in his press conference.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #353 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »

I think it would be a bit insulting to her to use her shooting as an excuse to ban guns, because she is -- apparently -- a supporter of Second Amendment rights.  Plus, it's just generally absurd to take every isolated situation like this and say "oh noes, we should ban guns."  Far more people's lives are saved every day because they defended themselves, or were defended by someone else, with a gun.  Yet we never hear about those situations.

It'd clearly be absurd to try and ban guns because of this, that would be going too far, but Arizona has particularly lax gun laws. You don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon there, and I can't imagine the regulations on who is buying the guns are very tight.

Still, it is absurd to try and restrict guns every time some crazy person gets a gun and shoots people.  We don't make it harder to get a driver's license every time someone runs a red light and runs over ten people.

We do, however, restrict drivers licenses from people who, by driving, would endanger themselves or others. A paranoid schizophrenic, who failed an army psychological exam, given a gun is clearly a threat to himself and others.

failing an army psychological exam is not in itself cause to think that person would be a threat. i'd bet people fail it far more for being unable to cope with violence than for having any violent tendencies themselves. i don't like the idea that we would be denying people's rights or privileges on the basis of a psychological diagnosis - which would mean fewer people would be willing to seek help.
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #354 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »

MSNBC (Keith Olbermann, specifically) is showing an interview with her from last year (following the incident when a brick was thrown through her Tuscon office door) on the Daily Rundown right now.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #355 on: January 08, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

And what is with so many people here turning a very tragic event into "omgz teabaggers! bla bla bla 2nd amendment! bla bla!" hackfest? This thread is about Giffords and the others who lost their lives, not about Palin and others being idiots, seriously STFU already.

The Sheriff of Pima County spoke several times about vitriol from radio talk show hosts and general political discourse and how absolutely destructive it is in his press conference.

I'm not terribly surprised that he would.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #356 on: January 08, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »

I think it would be a bit insulting to her to use her shooting as an excuse to ban guns, because she is -- apparently -- a supporter of Second Amendment rights.  Plus, it's just generally absurd to take every isolated situation like this and say "oh noes, we should ban guns."  Far more people's lives are saved every day because they defended themselves, or were defended by someone else, with a gun.  Yet we never hear about those situations.

It'd clearly be absurd to try and ban guns because of this, that would be going too far, but Arizona has particularly lax gun laws. You don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon there, and I can't imagine the regulations on who is buying the guns are very tight.

Still, it is absurd to try and restrict guns every time some crazy person gets a gun and shoots people.  We don't make it harder to get a driver's license every time someone runs a red light and runs over ten people.

We do, however, restrict drivers licenses from people who, by driving, would endanger themselves or others. A paranoid schizophrenic, who failed an army psychological exam, given a gun is clearly a threat to himself and others.

failing an army psychological exam is not in itself cause to think that person would be a threat. i'd bet people fail it far more for being unable to cope with violence than for having any violent tendencies themselves. i don't like the idea that we would be denying people's rights or privileges on the basis of a psychological diagnosis - which would mean fewer people would be willing to seek help.

I'm pretty sure I'd fail an army psychological exam.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »

So, since I've been gone for the last 5 hours, Congresswoman Giffords survived? Thank God.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #358 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »

So, since I've been gone for the last 5 hours, Congresswoman Giffords survived? Thank God.

It is good indeed.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2011, 10:08:42 PM »

So we have the guy's youtube channel, on which his manifesto is posted.

His motivation was to use the mind control powers granted to him by his new English grammar.

So, you see, he was neither left nor right, but merely a crazy person.  I think some people may want to retract some of their earlier comments.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #360 on: January 08, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »

This is not really something new though, yeah, some radio people can be a bit extreme but its not like the big bad evil conservatives who we all know are paid off by evul anarcho-nazi corporations, just started doing this.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #361 on: January 08, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »

His motivation was to use the mind control powers granted to him by his new English grammar.

So, you see, he was neither left nor right, but merely a crazy person.  I think some people may want to retract some of their earlier comments.

And some sources said than he was probably not alone in the plot.
So, not a good answer. Stop protecting the persons who caused hate.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #362 on: January 08, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »

I'm sorry, I must have missed it. Could you please link me to the pictures of him in his "I Purple heart Palin" shirt, or his blogs on how he can't get enough of Limbaugh?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #363 on: January 08, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »

I'm sorry, I must have missed it. Could you please link me to the pictures of him in his "I Purple heart Palin" shirt, or his blogs on how he can't get enough of Limbaugh?

I said than than spewing hate could have an effect to his mentally sick brain.
Palin and talk radio transmoved Giffords in a moving target.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »

A person being obviously crazy doesn't excuse the rhetoric that encouraged him. Assassinations and assassination attempts on congresspeople are rare occurrences. I refuse to believe that in a time where the right-wing has been using alot of borderline rhetoric, that this is a coincidence. A person doesn't need to have an "I Purple heart Palin" t-shirt for the rhetoric going on right now in the political environment to be at fault.

The vast majority of people who try to kill anyone in politics or anyone in general for political are usually crazy. It excuses nothing. I'm not trying to blame specific people as the ones at fault necessarily, I'm blaming the rhetoric as what is at fault, and all those who excuse it.

Gunplay and death threats shouldn't be the new normal in politics and people shouldn't try to excuse it as "free speech." These things have consequences, as exemplified by today.

Most of the rhetoric on the right simply isn't necessary. It's as simple as that. Can't we all agree on that and go from there?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »

A person being obviously crazy doesn't excuse the rhetoric that encouraged him. Assassinations and assassination attempts on congresspeople are rare occurrences. I refuse to believe that in a time where the right-wing has been using alot of borderline rhetoric, that this is a coincidence. A person doesn't need to have an "I Purple heart Palin" t-shirt for the rhetoric going on right now in the political environment to be at fault.

The vast majority of people who try to kill anyone in politics or anyone in general for political are usually crazy. It excuses nothing. I'm not trying to blame specific people as the ones at fault necessarily, I'm blaming the rhetoric as what is at fault, and all those who excuse it.

Gunplay and death threats shouldn't be the new normal in politics and people shouldn't try to excuse it as "free speech." These things have consequences, as exemplified by today.

Most of the rhetoric on the right simply isn't necessary. It's as simple as that. Can't we all agree on that and go from there?

Meanwhile, the entirety of the rhetoric from Marokai simply isn't necessary.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #366 on: January 08, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »

If he was already crazy, he could have shot someone if he happened to subscribe to left-wing vitriol, except it would be a Republican being shot.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »

Other than you guys just assuming, what evidence is there that even connects him to the evul rightwing corporate anarcho-nazi funded hate that spews from radios? he was crazy, Can't we all just agree on that?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #368 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »

Look the Tea Party may not have been directly responsible, but with someone like the shooter who most likely has mental problems, rhetoric from people like Palin, Angle, Paul, and others about the second amendment, and freedom of speech, and immigration must have had some effect on the individual to carry out the attack. The Tea Party does have indirect responsibility and shouldn't be acting as if they don't.

Yes.

Yes.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #369 on: January 08, 2011, 10:58:19 PM »

I think it's absurd people are speculating on what could cause an obviously mentally deranged man to do what he did less than 12 hours after this happened.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »

If he was already crazy, he could have shot someone if he happened to subscribe to left-wing vitriol, except it would be a Republican being shot.

You're trying to use logic and rational thinking to explain what a crazy man did... it just doesn't work that way most of the time.  Crazy people like this guy don't think rationally.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: January 08, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »

You're trying to use logic and rational thinking to explain what a crazy man did... it just doesn't work that way most of the time.  Crazy people like this guy don't think rationally.

Either way, it's stupid to claim that he was an assassin for teh ebil Tea Party, or something of that sort.  Lief.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »

In case people didn't see it:

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-jared-lee-loughner-profile,0,3468158.story

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2011, 11:36:26 PM »

I don't think the specific ideology of Giffords or the shooter is particularly relevant. If you look at political assassinations in the past fifty years or so, rarely does the reasoning behind the shooting have anything logical to do with the individual that was shot.

There are political leaders and members of the media who may have contributed to the actions of this man, but it shouldn't be thought of as a left vs. right dynamic. It's a difference between those who use responsible political rhetoric and those that do not. As the Pima County Sheriff said, just because it's free speech doesn't mean it doesn't have consequences.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »

what kind of  left winger likes Mein Kampf?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies