attention whoring (what else is new?): one month sober. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 07:14:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  attention whoring (what else is new?): one month sober. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: attention whoring (what else is new?): one month sober.  (Read 3212 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »

I posted this on a recovery message board I frequent.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So are you back on the sauce or was that an old post on that forum?

From long experience I can say that while hopping back on the boozer does provide a nice high and release from depression/boredom/anhedonia, the effects are temporary and to put it bluntly payback is a b!tch.  You tend to sink lower with each bout and it gets worse as you age. As stereotypical as it may be, Ive struggled with on and off alcohol abuse my whole adult life. Not an everyday drunk but some epic binges/blackouts that steamroll your physical and mental health. I was probably right around your age the first time I made a concerted effort to quit- I hope you are smarter than I have been.

Good luck.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:10:49 PM »

That is great Tweed.  I'm nearly 8 months now. Try to stay quit.  To reiterate the above post I made at around week 1, I wasted and lost a whole lot of time, money and ambition by not staying sober from around your age. I had some fun nights and some good stories but it certainly wasnt worth it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »

That is great Tweed.  I'm nearly 8 months now. Try to stay quit.  To reiterate the above post I made at around week 1, I wasted and lost a whole lot of time, money and ambition by not staying sober from around your age. I had some fun nights and some good stories but it certainly wasnt worth it.

and there are fun nights and good stories that come on this side of the ledger, too.  one of the great lies the addiction tells us is that there can't be.

Very true, I have more fun now than I ever did.  I also remember the good times too and don't feel like a dirty diaper when I make up anymore.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies