I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers.. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers.. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers..  (Read 8994 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« on: September 07, 2007, 07:44:08 PM »

Now I know that most pro-life people are like "life starts at conception". So what happens in the event of a miscarriage? so does the woman go to hell for "murdering her baby"? After all if life begins at conception a miscarried fetus DOEs have a soul...

Its "murder" in the sense being struck by lightning or dying from meningitis is - i.e. the fetus is dead, but without malicious intent by anyone involved.

There are MUCH better arguments in favor of abortion... this one is kind of silly.

As for the religious arguments, there's a reason I think that, if the Christian point of view is valid, there absolutely has to be something like Purgatory - most souls are neither pure and follow all the rules right, nor hopelessly evil. A just God would give both punishment for wrongs and means for eventual salvation.

This is doubly true for good people who hold a different or no faith, but live good lives otherwise. Indeed, so help me, if someone I truly cared for were eternally damned for such a reason, I couldn't deal with the "just" God who did so (I have very strict views on some areas of morality, ones that must apply to God as well as to any sentient mortal or non-divine immortal - although I sincerely hope God is  as all-moral as S/He is all-powerful and all-knowing!). A sort of school/prison for souls to learn the "true path" before ascending to paradise seems far more reasonable, at least in the opinion of this mere mortal. (One problem I have with many religions - I find it a little hard to just accept what the Bible or Qu'ran or Principia Discordia says, or what someone else says it says, as Universal Truth, and would rather see it with my own eyes, or at least think it through a little).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies