What will Obama's position on gay marriage end up being for the 2012 election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What will Obama's position on gay marriage end up being for the 2012 election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will Obama's position on gay marriage end up being for the 2012 election?  (Read 810 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:48 AM »
« edited: February 26, 2011, 12:15:54 AM by Lunar »

ONLY RULE: You must give your answer with all of the nuance in which it will be delivered.

We know the recent DOMA reversal.

We know he NYT has a story about another first gay hiring decision.  

And we know Obama used to support gay marriage and now is publicly stating he is "grappling with it".

And I'm not sure if the "I'm opposed to gay marriage and opposed to Prop 8" position ever made any sense anyway.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:24:30 AM »

Grappling or tickle-fighting?  Hetero marriage is the new Mubarak.  Caution!  I'll say he'll say... gay couples committed for life should have same rights as straight couples.  We can disagree on whether marriage is the right word or not while still agreeing that (specific example, probably hospital visitation rights).  The government should neither tell churches what to believe nor consenting adults what words they themselves should use to define their partnership.

And I bet he says this before the end of 2011.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »

My prediction: I personally support it at the state-level, but oppose having the federal government get involved
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

I suspect he wont make it an issue, goading the GOP nominee into looking like he is trying to restart culture wars

When asked I think he will say:

I have struggled with this issue, but I just don't think the government should get involved with decided who can fall in love with who, and the government should no longer be in the business of denying people benefits based on who they love.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »

This was a mistake, he may be rallying the base, but it makes him look like a flip-flooper to independent voters.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »

This was a mistake, he may be rallying the base, but it makes him look like a flip-flooper to independent voters.

1.  And how much did he get punished for looking like a flip-flopper in 2008 by opposing prop 8 and gay marriage simultaneously? 

1b. Surely whatever explanation he gives for switching his position on the issue will sound less fake than that?  Millions of Americans have changed their mind about the issue over these recent years...

2.  Seriously, is the president not allowed to ever change his position on anything, ever, without it "alienating independent voters" or some other kind of substance-less political jargon? 

2b. Um... everything has pros and cons.  Even if I concede that Obama is tangibly losing votes with independent voters by making this move (a *big* assumption you're making without evidence), he will benefit in other ways during the campaign in terms of volunteer support and fundraising.  It's hard to say definitively that one is greater than the other.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »

I see him supporting it. Thereby losing socially conservative minorities, in particular Latins and Arabs to the GOP.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:42:20 PM »

Everyone who supports gay marriage has "flip flopped" on this issue, because no one starts out in life supporting it, with very few exceptions. And no one flips back. Whether or not he's sincere (pretty obviously he's accepted same-sex marriage since the 1990s) his professed evolution is the same that most independent voters are going through right now.
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »

He will take an anti-gay marriage, pro-civil unions stance in an attempt to win the conservative vote, while keeping the liberal vote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »

I see him supporting it. Thereby losing socially conservative minorities, in particular Latins and Arabs to the GOP.

That's just stupid.  Is there any evidence of Latinos in California voting against Obama because he opposed prop 8?  Of course not, because there isn't any.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 02:36:14 PM »

He will take an anti-gay marriage, pro-civil unions stance in an attempt to win the conservative vote, while keeping the liberal vote.

So you're saying it's going to remain unchanged from 2008?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »

Everyone who supports gay marriage has "flip flopped" on this issue, because no one starts out in life supporting it, with very few exceptions. And no one flips back. Whether or not he's sincere (pretty obviously he's accepted same-sex marriage since the 1990s) his professed evolution is the same that most independent voters are going through right now.

^^^^
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »

I'm socially conservative?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »

I you support things like ending abortion, banning gay marriage, etc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies