First "Trillionaire" by 2040 likely
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  First "Trillionaire" by 2040 likely
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: First "Trillionaire" by 2040 likely  (Read 3367 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
« edited: March 12, 2013, 08:26:58 PM by King »

When one person has $1 trillion, he's not going to be spending most of that money, and that's $1 trillion taken out of the economy. How is that not dangerous to the economy? That's $1 trillion taken away from everyone else.

Billionaires aren't Scrooge McDuck. They don't make a swimming pool fool of $100 bills. The bulk of the money is invested, which provides capital for businesses.

The value of wealth is marginal, though.  A trillionaire can only eat three meals a day.  

I'm not against the rich.  I'm actually for the rich, which is why I don't want to see them self destruct.  If the wealth gap increases enough to provide for trillionaires, I'm sorry but there's no investment that is going to succeed.  The capital will fund businesses that fail because not enough people can afford to purchase its goods or services.

Ten families of four with $100,000 in income have needs that turn into consumer demand:
  • 120 meals a day purchased
  • 20 vehicles purchased and serviced
  • 10 homes purchased and maintained
  • 10 Christmas trees purchased and decorated

One family of four with $1,000,000 in annual income?
  • 12 meals a day purchased
  • 2 vehicles purchased and serviced
  • 1 home purchased and maintained
  • 1 Christmas trees purchased and decorated

They may buy more, but they might not.  They have just as much incentive to hoard that money in a savings account as they do buy a third car or second home.  The ten middle class families NEED those 10 homes and 20 vehicles and will make those purchases

It's not just populist garbage.  It's good economics.  Most with some spend more than some with most.   Capital can only go so far.  

Our nation's entrepreneurs won't have any customer base if we continue down this path and all will be destined for failure.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »

Excellant analysis, King.

Lack of aggragate consumption, not lack of investment, is what's hindering economic growth.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies