What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:09:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the most liberal ethnic group in the U.S.?  (Read 11767 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

« on: October 30, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »

The idea that Jews are liberal because they have learned 'tolerance' is really laughable. First of all, Jews aren't really as liberal as their voting behavior indicates.

The Jewish side of my family votes almost exclusively Democrat-- I have a fairly distant cousin that's a Republican. So is my dad. But in many cases the Democrats' views are not very liberal. One of my dad's cousins thinks the income tax should be abolished. Another is conservative on social issues. A couple of my cousins are libertarian. But in national races they all vote straight D.

The reason is actually intolerance. Because they dislike observant Christians, which are a key pillar, if not the core, of the GOP, they vote Democratic. Not of course in all local races. They all oppose Street in Philly, for instance. Hate is probably a more accurate word. Jews are not Casey people, for instance, but most Jews will vote for him out of hate for Santorum.

And of course, Jews treat other Jews differently from society at large. The reasons for this are not the issue, though some of it may come down from religious tradition. Many, many Jews oppose intermarriage with non-Jews. Hardly a liberal view... and indicative of a certain level of hypocrisy. So while Jews are certainly liberal on the whole, there is a huge amount of variation within the Jewish population on the actual issues, and their support for Democrats is more about distrust of the other side than anything else.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:48:41 PM »

Actually Republican Sen. Norm Coleman is Jewish as well.

I do not dispute that Jews are very liberal, but the fact is that Jews just do not agree with each other on an issue-by-issue basis. Look at how fragmented politics always are in Israel. In the US, some are more fiscally liberal or socially, some are indeed moderates. This is especially true of younger Jews. Older Jews of course are, to a one, hardcore, unapologetic Democrats. A big part of party ID is socialization. Most Jews were socialized to be Democrats (by the way, at a time when observant Christians were as well), and so many Jews who are not that involved or interested in politics still vote Democratic.

And it is not just conservative and orthodox Jews that oppose intermarriage, not by a longshot. I mean, Jews tend to get married somewhat older because of high education rates (which correspond to later marriages) but acceptance is not the same as approval. To this day I doubt my dad's relatives are totally OK with the fact he married a Catholic, though they probably wouldn't say it aloud.

Ultimately, my point was simply to dispute the origins of Jewish leftism. It resides in the Great Depression and fear/hatred of Christians, not with "tolerance" or anything like that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies