Did Trump really win more black and Latino voters than Romney? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:00:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Did Trump really win more black and Latino voters than Romney? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Trump really win more black and Latino voters than Romney?  (Read 2816 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 19, 2017, 12:08:37 PM »

Or did minority turnout (especially black turnout) decline enough on the Democratic side to significantly reduce Clinton's share of the total non-white minority vote, relative to Trump's share of the non-white vote? This strikes me as making more sense intuitively for several reasons, chief among them being that Obama was not on the ballot;  also, it's important to remember that non-negligible numbers of black and Latino voters in certain places defected to Jill Stein (particularly in certain cities outside of the South).

Furthermore, I don't really think that significant numbers of black, Latino, or Asian voters were going to defect from Obama to Trump; remember the RNC's "autopsy" post-2012? If some non-white minorities were still voting Republican in 2012, how many more could Donald Trump (or any Republican candidate in 2016 for that matter) actually stand to either gain or lose, really?

To put this another way; I think there wasn't much room for Democrats to pick up more voters "of color" in 2016, since most of them were already voting Democratic. Especially since, again, Obama was no longer on the ballot...

Or is there merit to both explanations? I think that this is plausible too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies