Did Wallace torpedo Nixon's "Southern Strategy" in 68? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:08:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did Wallace torpedo Nixon's "Southern Strategy" in 68? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Wallace torpedo Nixon's "Southern Strategy" in 68?  (Read 1960 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: July 08, 2020, 10:08:52 AM »

I am no expert on this, but I will add my two cents.  For one, Wallace obviously took SOME votes from Nixon ... it's unclear how many of his (previously Democratic) votes would have stayed with Humphrey, and many Democrats will slam the door in the face of that conversation, though I think wondering about it is with merit.

As far as Nixon, I remember reading a quote he made one time along the lines of, "We knew we couldn't reach the 'Wallace voter,' but we were going for the Southerners who became suspicious with the national Democrats long ago."  This indicates that Nixon was largely targeting Southern suburbanites who had been open to Eisenhower.  This seems reinforced by the fact that Nixon never really appealed to any voters as the "successor" of the Dixiecrats and mostly focused on upper-middle class concerns like busing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies