Did Jackson view Jefferson/Madison as sellouts? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:22:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Did Jackson view Jefferson/Madison as sellouts? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Jackson view Jefferson/Madison as sellouts?  (Read 1584 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« on: July 01, 2020, 12:54:24 PM »

When the Republicans led by Jefferson and Madison took power in the Revolution of 1800, they did many things that went against their principles. They used the Hamiltonian economic system to finance the Louisiana Purchase, enacted new tariffs (in fact I think I recall reading somewhere that tariffs were higher on average during Madison's term then they had been under Hamilton's tenure as Treasury Secretary), established a national bank, kept in place the property restrictions on voting, and kept in place the standing army, among other things. So my question is, was there discontent within the party/their voting base at these actions? And, perhaps more interestingly, did Jackson see them as sellouts?

Also, maybe this is asking too many questions for one post, but why did the Republicans keep in place the property restrictions on voting? Jefferson's entire view on government was defined by his fight against the "unnatural aristocracy"; he was so committed to this that he was an apologist for the Reign of Terror, but he thought it was okay to keep in place property restrictions on voting? A lot of the other "betrayals" above I can understand through the nature of him being practical once actually in government, but not this one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies